Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wath brand of steering damper do you use on your zx9r 2000.
i know the machine is rock steady , but here in quebec the roads are shitty .Any feedbacks will be apreciate , thank's

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I've not needed one either, but I've seen the Scotts and Hyperpro. I think I would like the Scott's better, as it has more adjustability (hi and low speed I think), and it is way less obtrusive. The way the Hyperpro mounts its like an erector set on top of your triple clamp. I don't like that look. Plus, the way the Scotts mounts, it appears it would be easier to swap out to your next bike. With the hyperpro, you would have to order (and pay for) all the mounting hardware required to configure it for the new bike. I believe they are not too far apart in price.

<font color=green>I'm not trying to hang off, I'm trying to hang ON!</font color=green>/images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I don't need one either. Only one time did the front end get squirrelly and it wasn't that bad. But if I did it would be Scott's.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
SyAnK, sweet lookin ride from what I see. How do you like those green face covers for your tachometer and speedometer? I was going to buy them but I wasn't sure how good they looked at night.

·
Registered
729 Posts
When I started the bike the first time in the dark after putting them in, I got freaked out...I would have bought them because of it sooner had they shown the night pics of them.
Here is the link for them

http://www.graphicartmotodesign.com/gages/kawasaki/kawa.html

As for the SCOTTS it is simply awsome.. There have been only a few things that come out once and a while that live up to motorcyclists expectations and the Scotts Damper is one of them. It does everything they claim it does and looks cool while doing it.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I have a Scotts and love it. The best things about it:

1. It's a nice tidy package.
2. It's easy to install.
3. If you wreck, you don't bend it (if you do, the bike is a write off anyway).

If you ride a bike without a damper after having gotten used to one with, it feels dangerously loose.

I have a 1999 9R and, depending on tires and tire pressures it has a tendency to slap pretty hard under acceleration (don't buy 208GP tires unless you have a damper mounted).

<font color=blue>Anyone can ride fast in a straight line...</font color=blue>

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have a HyperPro on my 2001 ZX9R and 2002 ZRX1200. I love the way it feels over a loose front. Up until a month ago I had no problems, but now the year old damper on the ZX9R is in need of rebuilding/replacing, luckily still under warranty, 1 year replacement. If I had to pay for the rebuild, it would be $99.00.

I'm Not a Pessimist, I'm a Realist!
Kaaaawwww Waaaaaaa Saaaaaaa Kiiiiii

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have a Scotts. So far so good.

Go Big or Go Home. <font color=red>Or just make sure you make it home?</font color=red>

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have a Hyperpro. It's not on a Kawasaki but we're just talking about the damper here. The hyperpro has the advantage over all the others in terms of operation. You can move it from bike to bike with just new mounting brackets, you can easily adjust it on the fly, it's variable rate for slow and high speed damping (continuous variable rate rather than the two step variable of the Scotts) It's out of the way in case of a crash. Looks - depends on what your taste is.
Now the bad part - I'm on my second replacement, I expect that this one will leak soon too. When it starts to leak, the steering becomes notchy. If you don't know what to look for in when it stops working properly, you may not realize it till you crash. Go for the Scotts or Ohlins.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Well thats the kicker is it not? who wants something that might cause a crash you are trying to prevent in the first place.

As for the Damper, you are slightly incorrect about a couple of things..

The Scotts is out of the way more so than any of the others, It is on-the fly adjustable and can be transfered to other bikes with nothing more than mounting brackets

But most importantly the Scotts is designed to break if it fails before impeading movement. The guide rod under the damper will simply snap off if the unit freezes up..
I would much rather pay for the unit to be repaired than crash.. As for longevity, I have had it a year and have not had any problems yet, but would be pretty upset if I already had to service it, which I have heard is commen with the HyperPro.

I guess I am partial to the Scotts and I know my opinon is jaded a bit because of it, but I almost got the HyperPro prior to the Scotts if that means anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts