Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys heres the deal I just bought a leftover 2001 ZX9R, and I want to know what I can do to it make it beat a friends R1 at the drag track. I was considering dropping a tooth on the front sprocket,(but afraid of messing up the odometer) installing a K&N filter but was told that makes a stock bike run lean. Any suggestions thanx BT9

·
Registered
633 Posts
Muzzy Big Bore Kit for 998cc's of displacement. Some have said that properly tuned with a full exhaust will get about 155-165hp to the rear wheel. If that won't do, the put the full exhaust and jet kit with advancer to get you closer to 140hp at the wheel.

Kaaaawwww Waaaaaaa Saaaaaaa Kiiiiii

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Practice 60 feet times, times vary on a bike way more than a car and usually result in 1-2 seconds at the end.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Practice, practice, practice and then practice somemore. Despite popular opinion, the 9r is faster than a R1.

<font color=blue>On the Gas Kickin Ass</font color=blue>

·
Registered
81 Posts
For the track, you don't need any performance upgrades. Just practice practice practice. Here's where that longer wheelbase/extra weight helps you out. You should be able to launch harder than the R1 and hopfully nail him to the tree. He has to worry about that short light bike flipping over. Just your holeshot/60 ft and once you get that down good...your home free. Remeber the ZX9 was the first stock 9 second 1/4 mile bike. That's our home territory!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
From what I can tell and what I've heard the K&N breathes as well as the stocker with no lean affect it just does a better job of keeping foreign matter out of the carbs and lasts a lifetime, as for the front sprocket I went down one on the front and it didnt really make a huge difference on my speedo but I did feel a big change in the holeshot which in turn put me in the market for much a stickier rear tire which I was supposed to win in the rafel but ended up re-treading the ol' Cheng Shin! Only cost me a buck fitty! HEHE!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
blacktalon9

You wouldn't happen to be racing at Keystone would ya? That was the first place my old Katana broke 8's, back when I was at IUP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts