Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the results I have gotten so far from my Muzzy Big Bore Kit. I have the Muzzy 998 kit, 2000 ported head, full Muzzy exhaust, Dynojet Jet Kit, Degreed Cam, Dyna 2000 Ignition system, reed block off plates, and a balanced crank and rods.

The first Dyno sheet shows a base run and my first run after everything was installed. The base run has the full exhaust and a poor jetting job that was installed when I bought the bike. Yes, I know the run looks bad and there is only 114 hp. The only thing that was found to be wrong with the bike was one of the rubber o-rings in the carburetor was not all the way on so it was binding the needle.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Wow! More impressive than the area under the curve is the smoothness! Riding impressions ASAP, please.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I have been riding it some about 40 miles. The first time I had it out it scared me a little with amount of power and how fast it comes on. I do have to put the stock sprockets bake on she has way too much low end now. I first if you give it just a little too much gas at anywhere over 3,500 rpm you will see sky. Second gear you can crack it hard and the wheel just starts to spin.

The power is very smooth everywhere almost as well as my 2002 R1 and the R1 is really good. Here is one of the last dyno runs I had before I picked it up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
All said and done what did this set you back, if I may ask? You see I would love to do this to mine, but I don't think I'll ever be able to embezzle enough from the wife! At least you'll be able to stand up to the gixxers/R1s.

Ride Fast - Live Slow

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All parts and labor cost about $4,200. The bike was dynoed on a Dynojet 250. I had a K&N filter also but the stock gave a smoother power curve.

·
Registered
698 Posts
So how many Gixxer 1000s have you smoked by surprise /images/icons/wink.gif? Good work on the bike. Any other mods planned?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I Don't know I bought it used and it had the pipe and jet kit on it. So it has never been stock for me.

As for running other bikes I have not ran into any yet with it. I have just put Goodridge kevlar lines and EBC double H pads front and rear which made a difference. I may try Ivan's jet kit in it and play with my 98 head to try and up the velocity of the intakes for more power and if that is not enough I may shave the head. I will be on the look out for a good deal on flat slide carbs for it to. This is my project bike to see how much power I can get.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Dang, Dang, Dang, can't wait to get my 9 done, hopefully the 7 frame its in will hold up!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Zeus, I see Matt Drucker did the work. He's a good guy, I've been dealing with him for about 8 years now. I would be carefull on shaving the head. The Piston kit is set up for 13:1 and you're probably at the limit for running pump gas. If you shave the head, you're definitley going to raise the compression. Be careful.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Great results. Congrat's!

I bet that torque feels unbelievable. 155rwhp and 85lbft sounds like a dream come true. Anybody have a guess as to top speed with stock gearing? Does 175-178mph sound about right? If you change the gearing some it sounds like 190 might be possible? I assume it will pull hard all the way to the rev limiter in 6th with stock gearing.

The $4200 sounds close to the $3800 estimate I got here in Colorado including pipe and jet kit. Did your work include a new pipe or did you already have the Muzzy pipe installed? Sounds like the 160 claimed on Muzzy's site is attainable but requires more work than just the big bore kit. What elevation are you at in IL? 1500ft.?

Again, congrat's to all of you who have done this kit. I'll probably have to wait a year to save the loot....... but it sounds like it will be worth every penny.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Teamgreen, I already had the pipe so that is not in the price. A 160 is possible but you need a full exhaust, degreed cams, and jet kit to get close. This is what muzzy had in theirs to get to 160. My elevation is 5,500 here.

Blubyu, yes Matt is a good guy to deal with. He tried a lot to get it to 160, but the motor is far from being broke in all the way so I will have to see if she gets there. Have you be talking to Matt about doing yours here said some one on the east coast was waiting to see what mine did before they did theirs? As for the compression I am not that worried if I shave the head. Motorcycle engines are not as bad as cars with that high of compression. The size of the pistons has a lot to do with it. I am sure there is clearance left in the head to do it but I will measure it before I do it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Zeus, Yes I'm the east coast guy that Matt was reffering too. The only problem is,to do this right, I would have to ship my whole bike out to him. We talked about shipping just the motor and he give me some good starting numbers for the carbs but I want the same person on it from cradle to grave, therefore they will have some history with the bike and know it a little. I'm impressed with the torque..It must feel like a monster. That'll give you some serious roll on numbers. Sniff..sniff, I'm happy for you dude!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts