Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets talk shop.

What do you do for a living? A lot of people b!tch about their jobs. Always saying how much they hate it. So. . .

Why do you do what you do? If it’s just for money that’s cool. I have bills to pay too.

How did you get your job?

I’ll break the ice by starting.
I work as a camera assistant in the movie biz. It’s a pretty cool job. My boss can be a real a$$ at times but the rest of the people I work with are very cool.

I do it because I’ve always wanted to work in “Hollywood” it was a dream of mine since I was 8. I didn’t always know “what” I wanted to do as long as it was in showbiz. There are hundreds of “Hollywood” jobs so why camera assistant? The money and schedule. It pays very well and I get a lot of time off for riding. Conversely, I could always use more money and I have no control over when I work. It’s very tough to plan any trips in advance. But the pluses outweigh the negatives.

To get into “the biz” I had to work for free. Call it an internship without school credit. It was a way for me to network. I met people who would give me future paid jobs and gained valuable experience. I finally got paid work but it was low man on the totem poll. When a vacancy came up in the camera department I went for it. It was much better pay than my job at the time. The production needed a person to fill the position and I was the guy that wanted it. I kinda fell into it.

So what about you?

BTW I am considering changing careers. The dream has faded into reality. The work is cool but no longer very rewarding. I don’t have any idea what I’d do. That’s why I want to hear what you all do.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
I went from school through a progression of jobs / industries:

1992 - Airline Catering: 7-day weeks, 16+ hour days burnt out (imagine that) after about 9 months when GF said she was sick of never seeing me.

1993 - 1995 - Banking: Worked at a private bank from Brazil as office manager / glorified admin. Left shortly after getting a call from FDIC freezing accounts and realizing that there were some shifty things going on.

1995 - 1997 - Ad Agency: A hectic, stressful yet somehow fun as hell job. Late nights / weekends at TV/Radio studios and production houses. Sense of importance incredibly over-inflated, as I still watch and analize commercials in detail. Got hooked into IT since one of our accounts was HP.

1997 - Now: Various IT jobs. Started with a distributor, then went to Creative Labs (laid off in 2002), Altec Lansing (laid off again in 2002) and then after a tough time got a gig with Alienware. Out of the blue got recruited by Apple to relocate to California to work for a company that I've known and respected for (!) decades in a place that I always wanted to live in.

It's still a bit of a dreamland - lots of changes, but the environment here is positive and the people are amazing. I'm still getting up to speed, but I go home and don't have that fire in my gut from stress and negativity. I'm lucky as all hell. :waytogo:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Ok lets see, I work for the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) which is a part of the USDA. I am currently working with an emergency response team which handles the data that comes in during an animal disease outbreak (like mad cow). Our DB also handles all of the data regarding finances, equipment and people that go to an outbreak site as well. I essentially tend to this database and do what the veterinarians in the field tell me to. They ask for changes in a form and I make the changes, they ask for help and I help, etc etc. My duties go beyond that, but that is the essence of my job.

I got my job by being as annoying as posible to managers while I was here as an intern. I started college with a major in Zoology with hopes of being a vet, but as it turns out, I was better off with computer science. So I came here to do tech work and help where I could as a student intern. I got on permanently with the emergency response team after bugging enough managers to hire me. It is pretty cool since I do what I learned to do in school, but it still relates to animals. I almost got the best of both worlds (I just wish there were more anilmals and less computers...oh well). Oh yeah, getting paid is a good reason to be here as well. :smile:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Ehhh...

I'm a Database Administrator/Programmer at a leasing company.

I enjoy it because I'm a computer geek and it's really cool when I set up all of those tables and get them pointing every which way and the data is actually in the right spot for once. Plus it's really cool when my code actually works! Oh yeah. And they pay me an a$$load of money.

I got the job because I lied on my resume and I have a B.S. in B.S. for the interview.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Well, I have 2 jobs. At my first job, I'm a senior developer at a company that sells business software. We are the largest reseller of Microsoft products in the world(and yes I think Microsoft sucks too hehe). Basically what I do is take one of the software systems that we sell and customize it for a specific client. If you've rented videos, bought a modular home, used cosmetics, or eaten at a Sonic you've probably either directly or indirectly been effected by work that I have done. Like Zafzo, I'm also paid a lot.

My second job is a business that I run with my wife. We are co-owners of a business that produces trade shows. Mostly we do a lot of bridal and family shows (although we don't limit ourselves to a certain caterory). For instance we are planning a travel show and you may see us doing a motorcycle show at some point. We currently have 9 employess. My wife runs day to day operations and manages the office. I do the financial analysis, come up with our stragety, and (obviously) take care of the technology/computer needs. Unfortunately at this Job I'm not paid a lot (In fact I'm gald to be breaking even this year...woohoo) :lol:. However, there is enormous potential profit in this business(it takes several years to build a good show) and I have no doubt that eventually this business is going to take care of me very well. Luckily, I get to work from home most of the time for both jobs.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I run a Contract Mfg business with my Dad and Step Mom. They own it currrently and me someday. We assemble printed circuit boards for many different industries(ie: Medical, Communications, Aerospace, Networking, Music and so on)
I am the Materials Manager and run all the purchasing. I also dabble in Mfg and production control. We are still a small enough company that we are all multitaskers! I like working here, pay is good and I can get as much time off as I need. In 8 years I have never been not paid for missing a day, week or more! Working for Dad sucks sometimes :grin:

My Work

John

·
Registered
429 Posts
I just finished college with a BS in mechanical engineering, and I was lucky enough to land a job before I graduated. I am now working for Boeing (Phantom Works) in Huntington Beach. I spend about half my day doing finite element analysis (if that rings a bell...), and the other half I write code for proprietary software. My office is a carbon copy of Initech.

I've now realized that working full time sucks pretty bad, especially in the winter - I get up before sunrise and I don't get out of my cube until after sunset. Also, living by the beach is nice - but in LA that means having 30+ miles of solid urban jungle between you and the distant mountains (nice roads) on the horizon.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Well I have had numerous automotive industry jobs and then I went for it myself three years ago and started my own graphic design and marketing company. I basically do all the work but get all the profit as well so I can't complain. I do everything from business cards to stickers to banners and anything to market companies. I also build manufacture vehicles (i.e. cars,bikes) for major manufactures for trade shows and that is benificial in itself as I get free stuff.If all goes well I will be able to afford a three man race team for next year with the support of my sponsors.

·
Premium Member
24,352 Posts
I work to pay the bills.

I quit being a factory worker because I couldn't acheive what I really wanted in life. That, of course being; leading people, making important decisions, less physical work, more mental work, more pay, and a better title than just "factory worker."

So...I went back to school, and got some courses under me that turned into a diploma.

Now, I work at Jiffy lube as an Assistant Manager in training. My boss is a first class ass clown who turns away anybody who doesn't have enough money/too much brains to buy the crap that he enforces onto them. He is NOT an honest person; all he cares about is making the store money, because he gets profit sharing.

He is dumping all sorts of extra work onto me that really isn't in my realm of job title, but at least we still have people coming (More or less) and the guys under me respect me (Which says alot, I can be a first class ass towards them at times when they are slacking off).

But when it really comes down to it, I fear I have failed.

I still do a lot of physical labor, I am getting less money for more responsibility, and though I am leading people in a quasi-sort of way, my boss (He is NOT a leader; he's a boss) likes to put the kai-bosh on a lot of my decisions just 'cause he gets a kick out of it. I do have a better job title, but come on...I work at a frickin' lube shop. I was hoping on more...

But that is that is the reason why I am glad I am young. I have alot of years ahead of me to really make a name for myself in that big bad world we call work.

But for now, I work to pay the bills.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Hey UCS-

I'm interested in going into aerospace. If you could hook me with who to talk to about a summer internship I would really apreciate it. :waytogo: :help: :bow:

·
eARRROOOOOGA
17,313 Posts
I teach business and computer concepts to middle school students 6th-8th grades. I also repair computers on the side and drive school/activity buses. I've also been know to take random odd jobs during the two months I have off every summer ~

JM

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

I'm a Colombian drug lord.

[/ QUOTE ]
:lol:

That's almost nihilistic :grin:

I own a motorcycle courier without a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
9,377 Posts
Well, mine is a sordid affair, filled with excitement and intrigue...or....not

Actually, I started out of college with one of the largest beer manufacturers in the world. A dream job, well, at least, that's what you'd think, working for their marketing division. My day involved designing new regional marketing programs, working out in the field, going out every nite, making incredible money, tickets to every good show/sporting event (usually in luxury boxes), a spending account, shmoozing at all of the large sporting/concert events that came to my region (hot pit passes, season tix, you name it), tons of free stuff. I was working my way up quickly, having fun, just an incredible job. Though a relatively creative job, it wasn't very challenging - legal had our hands tied, we were forced to "fall in line" with the corporate culture (I'm not very good at the corporate kissass thing, I can't stomach that nonsense), and I found myself yearing for something more personally gratifying. Some of the people I worked with ended up in programs for alcaholism - and I started wondering what I was doing with myself, and whether or not this was something I wanted to continue on doing. Realizing that I wanted more, I left it all and moved back to NY and started over making pennies running an autodialer mainframe for a large bank.

Went to school at nite to get my networking certifications (I've always been a computer buff, my first was a commodore pet back in the late 70s), worked at 3 jobs (2 I did for free as an "internship" like Evander, to get my experience up) and paid my dues. Had touched my hand at html a little (I used to program in basic WAAAY back when), and had an opportunity to interview for an .asp/vb/c programmer with a small development house - I lied and told them I had a lot of experience, and they bought it, and hired me. I ran out and bought 3 books on programming and spent the next 3 weeks submerged in them - ending up with enough to get me past the first weeks of work. I kept buying books, learning enough so that they would never know I wasn't fluid enough to continue, and in a year was their senior app developer, working in a bunch of different languages, learning tons ay by day, it was just a great place to really hone my skills (althought the hours were insane and I was working like a dog). Brought on my father's company as a client, and quickly saw that they were interested in hiring me directly as their work was increasing dramatically - they made me an offer, and I moved over there. And that is where I continue at this point, running the IT side of the consulting firm - app development, systems upgrade/implentation, CIS integrations, you name it.

John - it's never too late to start over.

G

·
What do you do for a living? I'm a Carpenter/Subcontractor/Real Estate Investor. I also "had" (problems, not the music though) a recording contract as part of a rap group and make my own half azz music. The group was called Dark Realm, i think I'm still officially a member. They put out a CD before.

Why do you do what you do? Because my father owns his own Contracting Business. I'm soo unbelievably cool, i was accepted into 2 different rap groups, one produced a CD on the no limit label. :rolling:

How did you get your job? Working everyday for a large part of my life. Now i only work a small time a week for large(r) amounts of money.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
UCSBf4 - I feel your pain.

I am a product development engineer for a Tier 1 automotive supplier. This is my first job out of college, been here 5 years.

Why that? Dad was an engineer and Mom is a math teacher, what else could I do? I have plenty of other interests but I can't exactly quit my job to pursue them.

Do I enjoy it? It's ok... I guess. I get to see and drive new cars long before the general public so it has it's moments. However, the stress is much more than I would have imagined, much more than it was 2 years ago in fact. My work load has basically doubled due to "downsizing". The pay is ok, a bit below average for my profession and education. You can live on it but I'll never get rich doing this by any means. Given the state of the auto industry in general, I don't think I'll be able to do this long term. Lots and lots of jobs are moving overseas, primarily to India and Asia.

·
eGunny
13,417 Posts
1981 to 2001 United States Marine Corps.....I could go on and on here about jobs in that time period in the Marines.....I can say I had an absolute ball........I found out I could get paid to play cowboys and indians and I said this is for me..... :waytogo:

2001-Present ~ Various contracting jobs with the Dept of Def......presently working in support of the reconstruction of Irag...... :waytogo:

[ QUOTE ]
(I used to program in basic WAAAY back when),

[/ QUOTE ] Hey I did that.....I even played with some card readers for a little bit...... :grin:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts