Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is a question for the masses. Which oil do you drop in? Im about to change clutch and oil and I am tred of paying top dollar for Golden Spec Syth oil. Was about to try Mobil 1 but dont know which oil to go with.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I use automotive <font color=blue>M</font color=blue><font color=red>o</font color=red><font color=blue>bil</font color=blue><font color=white>1</font color=white> 15W50, have been for the past few bikes. Good oil, reasonably price and no oil related problems.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I'd go with a semi-synth motorcycle oil...I change my oil and filter every 2000 miles...and I can't justify the extra cost of full synth for that short of a time.

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

·
Registered
355 Posts
I change my oil seems like every other month but try to go 2000 miles every change. I use regular honda oil gn4 and have had no problems but have been thinking about switching to a syn. blend. Can anybody really feel the difference?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I don't think anyone has ever PROVEN a difference in power (or any other measurable quantity) between synth and conventional oils. It's just a matter of less engine wear with synth. Some people claim full synth makes the clutch slip, others say it doesn't. I've heard people say the engine or tranny SOUNDS smoother after putting in full synth..but I think that might just be a different sound due to a different oil level in the pan..

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I don't think anyone has ever PROVEN a difference in power (or any other measurable quantity) between synth and conventional oils.

<hr></blockquote>

I've never noticed any change in power, shifting or anything to do with the clutch but where I have noticed a big difference is wear and the ability to handle high temperatures.
The cams in my ZR took 30K miles just to show signs that they're in use (the cam lobe load side is starting to get a shine).
If I spill any on the exhaust it takes 60 miles of riding before it burns off (I thought I had an oil leak) with summer temps in the mid to upper 90's sitting in traffic with an air cooled motor synthetic is the only way to go.

I cooked one motor using the non-synthetic Golden Spectro riding in central GA in 105*F. Made me a believer.

·
Registered
596 Posts
MOBIL-1-MX4T, full synthetic and change my oil every 3000 miles and greatly help's shifting to boot !.

YOUTH and TALENT are no match for AGE and TREACHERY !

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
MX4T really helps the shifting, felt like a different bike.

Professionals are predictable, but the world is full of amateurs

·
Registered
640 Posts
Follow up question - at what point do you change to synth from petro, and is there a mileage mark where you don't want to change? I have just over 7k on my F4i, it's had Honda petro-based since it was born. Any danger in switching to synth (or blend) now?

If I put what I wanted in this signature, I would piss too many people off.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
7K miles is plenty, go for it. I go to full synthetic after 2500 miles.

·
eratbiker
3,826 Posts
gunnerdont be afraid to switch to synth after only 7k miles thats a brand new bike. i got my little bikey with about 80K on the clock and it never even knew synth oil existed till i got it and poared it in well it held out another 100K miles then i fried it messing with nitro (PS if you decide to create your own nos system and go for a vaporiser instead of injection dont exeed 15 litres per sec)

<font color=purple>RILLA'S</font color=purple> RULE <font color=red>hi officer how did you see me trough that smoke</font color=red>

·
Registered
640 Posts
Thanks to da both of ya! And I think I'll stay away from the NOS for now...lol Now, Honda or Maxima?...

If I put what I wanted in this signature, I would piss too many people off.

·
eratbiker
3,826 Posts
castrol RS

<font color=purple>RILLA'S</font color=purple> RULE <font color=red>hi officer how did you see me trough that smoke</font color=red>

·
Registered
938 Posts
I've always used car synthetic oil until last year. I started using Amsoil motorcycle 10W/40. The only difference that I notice is that the clutch chatter is less. Other than that nothing... I do believe this is just with the ZX12R.

Riding always makes me -->/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
823 Posts
Motul semi synthetic.

"Ask not what your bike can do for you,
ask what you can do for your bike"

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
<font color=purple>Royal Purple</font color=purple> works good in my 7R! /images/icons/cool.gif

I haven't had any problems with it at all in Arizona!

Daffy

1 - 20 of 45 Posts