Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I shot my new HK .45 compact for the first time today and it was INCREDIBLE!! I've owned a lot of handguns and this is the best shooting and most accurate compact handgun that has ever passed through my hands. Anyway, then I borrowed my buddy's HK .45 full size and at 40 ft, I could put every mag into a two-inch group. So it's very tempting to buy a full-size .45 now and I'm leanig towards the HK. However, I wanted some input so I run through all the guns and maybe rent a few before buying one.
So what do you guys think? Should I go with the HK .45 or look at others like the Sigs and Kimber 1911-style guns?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
All personal preference. Myself I'd get the H&K since it seems to have a bigger grip than a 1911 model. I just dont care for how thin 1911 grips are. They feel like I'm trying to fire a .25ACP pocket pistol just without the required slide pinch from them. :lol:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Depends on what you want to do. If you want a combat gun (doesn't misfeed, doesn't jam, can bang it around etc.) buy the HK (I own a USP 40 and love it). But if you want to just tartget shoot and make really tight groups I would go with one of the 1911 clones. I like Kimber. Springfield makes a Tactical 1911 that is really nice too. Also look at your price range HK $650----Kimber, Wilson, Springield $1100 +. HK has a .45 they call the Expert. Lot tighter groups and better trigger. don't really know how much for it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Nottobright said:
I've put 5000 rounds thru my HK USP and only cleaned it once. Never a single jam :smirk:
Plus its accurate :waytogo:

Just buy one :laugh:

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto. I clean mine regularly, but have never experienced a jam and have fired all manner of automatics out there. My USP tactical is still my favorite. :bow:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've owned a Glock and two Sigs- all fantastic but the HK fits my large skinny hands better plus I shoot better with the HK. Now I don't know about the full size Sig .45 (220?). The double stacked 228/229 fit well but I want a .45.

Anyway, I'm also looking to get an AR-15 and if you guys have any input on brands/models/variants, please educate me and make some suggestions.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
As much of a Glock guy as I am, my personal choice would be a Kimber or similar 1911. I've shot a friend's Kimber, and it's by far the most comfortable, natural feeling gun I've ever shot.

If you get the Glock, be aware that there have been some catastrophic failures of the model 21. There have been several failures in my department, causing the gun to basically explode. The culprit may be due to the feed ramp location, as the underside of a loaded cartridge is not supported. Glock has since come out with their own .45 round, which is basically the same as a .45ACP but with a thicker cartridge wall near the base.

This isn't an widespread problem, but it happens. Because of this issue, all .45s were removed from service in my department and we were forced to go with the 9mm.

If you do get the Glock 21, I would be wary of getting the 21C as dust bunnies and similar can get in the compensation ports. IMO, compensated models offer advantages, but are more directed to competition guns.

·
Registered
566 Posts
If you like your HK, then the best, by far, one for accuracy is the HK USP Expert, if you can find one. It is identical to the SOCOM, except it doesn't have the threaded barrel. My Expert shot 1/2" groups @ 15 meters out of the box.

If you want something other than an HK, there are a lot of options; Kimber is very good, so is Springfield; another optioin is to have your 'smith build you one. A lot of base pistols to start from.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Guns are all about your preference. If you like double-action pistols, then it doesn't get any better than H&K, Sig, Glock and Springfield (XD series). But I prefer single-action 1911 pisols by far. Plus, there are so many mods and custom things that can be done to them. But whatever floats your boat.

As far as AR-15's go, since they are mostly alike (and Mil-spec), it's about brand preference and features. I have a Bushmaster with 20" HBAR and A2 config. That means that it's just a plain old AR just like a plain old M-16 (minus full-auto capabilities of course). I wanted to get "the standard AR" first. Next I want to get a good carbine, with collapsable stock, flash hider, etc. The main brands to look at are Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite, and Rock River Arms. There are some other good ones like DPMS and others as well. If price isn't much of a concern to you, then I would also consider AR's from Wilson Combat and Les Baer as well. But it's hard to beat any from the first four I mentioned. I decided on a Bushy several years ago, #1 because I wanted to help them pay their legal bills from the junk lawsuit brought on by the DC sniper victims families. The second reason was that they use 4150 Ordinance grade steel for the barrels, whereas Colt, Armalite, etc use 4140. Also, I wanted a chrome-lined barrel as standard because it lasts a lot longer (more rounds before wearing-out) than chromoly or stainless. Bushmaster, Colt, and Armalight are the only ones where that is a standard option I believe. You won't go wrong with any of these brands.

If you're not sure whether you want a full-size 20" A2 config, or a 16" carbine in A2 or A3, I would definitely go with the carbine in A3. They're so much lighter and you have more options in A3 config (flat-top). I like the carry handle, but with the A3 config you can remove it and put a scope or red dot on instead. I love my full size, but if I had to do it all over again I would have gotten the carbine first and then the full size.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll look at the Bushmastercarbine. There is a gun show this weekend so I'll go there and see if my dealer buddy is set up. If so, I may order a Bushmaster from him- I just need to figure out exactly which model to get so seeing/handling a few will dfeinitely help.

As far as a full-size .45 goes, I think I will look at the HK .45 and a Kimber .45 but I'll rent a Kimber and put a 100 rounds through it first. Then I'll decide which one to go with.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Sounds like you have the right idea. It's always best to handle them first. It's hard to go wrong with the USP. But for me it would be the Kimber. I really the the Kimber CDP series. If I had the $$$, I'd have [at least] one of every major brand of 1911 in my "armory". I just love them. Also, Kimber is the choice of L.A. SWAT. More and more tactical units are moving back to the 1911 from double-action pistols.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like the 1911-style pistols but only the Kimber when it comes to ou-of-the-box pistols. Since I aleady have a compact .45 as a primary gun, I'd consider a Kimber. As a primary carry weapon, the SA-only pistols are ones I'm not comportable with. For a primary carry weapon, I prefer:
a heavier first shot pull (DA) option (I can keep the HK cocked & locked too)
The ability to keep a round chambered without having the hammer up.

So the Kimber would primarily be a range gun and I'm okay with that. I'll just have to shoot one first.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.