Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will some people please give me there perspective pro's and con's on a 2001 GSXR600, and 2001 Yamaha YZF R6

I can't decide which bike I want, and I would like to here peoples comments. Plan to buy this weekend.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Here we go again. This is just my opinion.

GSXR

Pro's
1. Most hp of the 600's
2. Lightest of the 600's
3. Great brakes
4. Great handling

con's
1. Less comfortable than the rest (high pegs, low bars)
2. Boy racer graphics
3. What's up with the single headlight
4. Wide tank

R-6

Pro's
1. Best looking of the 600's
2. Rev her to the moon powerband
3. fairly comfortable
4. superb handling (with steering damper)

Con's
1. Where's the steering damper
2. brakes fade quicker under hard use
3. Where's the midrange
4. slam bam shifting action

I have an R-6 and wouldn't trade her for anything. But it all depends on the individual. Go sit on both bikes and see which one fits you best. You really won't go wrong with either.

<font color=blue>You're faster than this. Don't think you are, <font color=red> know you are.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Considering they are both incredible performers, I looked at some other areas.(1) Fit& Finish: The R6 Clearly has a better quality of fit and finish.(2) Feel: Both the 2001 600 and 750 GSXRs that I rode felt heavier with less feed back than my 2001 R6, even though they're all around the same weight.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
They are both pretty much the same in terms in comfort and performance, to the casual person anyway. But if you're leaning more toward performance, go with the Gixxer. If you're leaning more toward comfort, go with the R6.

But it all comes down to personal preferrences. Sit on both of them.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Haha, that's Noud for ya. At least you didn't get drafted into his TransGender army... here I am still wearing the damned pink scarf.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The R6 and the GSX-R are about as different as bikes can be. The R6 turns in ultra-fast and offers tons of feedback, and really requires a high level of skill to operate. The GSX-R, on the other hand, is not a quick-turning bike, mainly due to its more conservative steering geometry and steering damper. The trade-off gives the Gixxer tons of stability--it never gets out of line. The R6, then, is the opposite. A steering damper is a very good idea for that bike, since it has such radical geometry and so much power in the upper part of its powerband.

my pick: the gixxer. It's not as sharp and agile as the R6, but it's got a howling motor, is awesome on the track, and not everyone has one. You see a blue R6 every time you go riding, those things are everywhere.

Either way, you can't lose with either one. It's nice to have such awesome choices!

·
Registered
317 Posts
If ya get the GSX-R you gotta get the Telefonica-Movistar
paint.The only one I'd consider.
And what's with the R6 needing a steering damper?Ive never had one head shake with mine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is that paint. I was getting the blue and white one. I heard the Yamaha needed a Dampner, how much do they run

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
it's a special edition. a replica of that one's guys achievements that one year for that one...thing...anyway, here it is.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Isn't a big difference the fact that Yamaha has carbeurator and needs jetted and carbs occasionly, and harder to start cold.

Susuki is fuel injected, so won't need that correct.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts