Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will some people please give me there perspective pro's and con's on a 2001 GSXR600, and 2001 Yamaha YZF R6

I can't decide which bike I want, and I would like to here peoples comments. Plan to buy this weekend.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
this is my .02:

R6 pros:
- very light
- agile
- great power delivery
- looks bad ass
- with the weight being centralized it feels really light
- wide, comfortable seat
- a million different accessories and mods
- stock rear hugger

R6 cons:
- needs a steering dampener
- carbeurated
- riding position is too upright
- no solo seight cowel (must buy aftermarket)
- tiny ass trunk

GSX-R6 pros:
- feels more stable due to longer wheelbase
- fastest 600
- stock steering dampener
- riding position is canted forward
- the fat ass tank feels like there's more bike under you
- goes bananas after 9000 in tach
- fuel injection
- white rims
- sounds good stock
- loves to corner
- stock solo seat cowel

GSX-R600 cons
- goes bananas at 9000 (kinda late)
- white rims (bitch to clean)
- one piece headlight cover
- feels heavier due to displacement of weight (more on the front end)
- the ugly orange color of the R and the 600
- no undertail

if i think of anymore i'll post again. but i think the main difference is the ergonomics. the gixxer is more racey.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I am thinking about upgrading from my current YZF600R to either of these in a couple months. Your list of pros and cons is great. One question though.... since the R6 is still carbuerated, does that mean I'll have to use the choke to start it up in the morning? And what about the gixxer? No choke to mess with in the moring since it is fuel injected?

Another issue is: which one should be more comfortable for a little guy (5'5" and 140) like me? So far, I like the slim sexy look of the R6. The gixxer looks a lot bigger than it really is, somehow i guess because of the big ass gas tank.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
hybone...the gixxer still has a choke. and i use it for cold starts. so there's still a choke. you just don't have to open up an 1/8 of turn when you start up. plus being fuel injected gives it less shiet to break down. but some people prefer cabeuration. to each his own.

and IMO...i think the R6 will be better for you given your height and weight. the reach is shorter (to me at least) and'll prolly be better on your wrists. but ultimately, it's how comfortable you are on the bike. cuz who cares how much power you got if it's a bietch for you to ride it. ya nahmean?

i say go sit on both, and if possible ride 'em both. you'll know from there.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Check out the must read post for new riders in this section, true words of wisdom, before you go out and spend all the hard earned cash.

Triumph Sprint ST

·
eNVisible
15,777 Posts
rsingleton~ Given your two selections, I'd go with the <font color=blue>R6</font color=blue>. I think though, you should add in the <font color=red>F4i</font color=red> as another option.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Buy what blows YOUR skirt up! After all....you're the one who has to live with it. Both those bikes are bada$$.

Let other people be right sometimes...it soothes them for being nothing else!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts