Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you heard about my wreck, you know that I have been out of a bike for awhile. Well, I almost have all the parts in; still waiting on the subframe/tail cowl/tail light. Should arrive today. Have almost everything else done except painting. Here is where the project sits as of this morning. :waytogo:

Can you pick out the three beautiful things in this picture? :grin:

PEACE!

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Yeah, that's what I thought as well- you got a funny dog :grin:

He's sitting next to the bikes as if he was guarding something precious /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
eClogs
8,998 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
specialsymbol said:
He's sitting next to the bikes as if he was guarding something precious /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You always come up with such nice things to say! :applause:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I say put a seat on it and ride it, screw the plastic!! :grin: You will probably just tear it up again...just kidding :808908-wtf:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Plenty of time on my hands this past week, so I headed back out to the garage to work on the Silver Gixxer. Still had a problem though, one of the subframe bolts (known to Suzuki as a seat rail bolt) had still not come in. So I went to a local Moto shop and had them fabricate me one.

One of these things is not like the other!

Still had an issue though, get out the old bolt that sheared off in the wreck. So I drilled a hole through it and tapped a star bit into it.

And it came right out!

Beast watches for the bad man.

GOT IT! WOO-HOO!

Grabbed the service manual, the under tray, and the rest of all the bolts.

Torqued the seat rail bolts to spec from the manual. Fabricated one worked like a charm!

Subframe mounted! Starting to look like a bike again!

Routed all the wiring, mounted the undertray, connected all harness connectors, mounted battery.

See how pretty the routing was done? :grin:

Is that the bad man over there?

Mount tank, connect power to fuel pump, fuel line, and both vent tubes.

Add tail fairing, seat, mounted right passenger peg and bolted on muffler brace, and OMFG, it looks like a bike again!

Took it for a spin and everything seems to be working properly. Did about 100 miles on it over the weekend and I am SO glad to be back on the 1k... Love that power!

Now to sand and start painting the fairings! More to come!

·
eStarbucks
17,313 Posts
You're going to be upset that the "custom" bolt is going to rust.

At the very least: I would have coated that bolt in clear-coat before installing it and ensure I have lots of loctite (seals against moisture) on the threads. Just ask GS: nothing looks worse than a rust - and rusty bolts are a b*tch to remove later.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Just FYI (may save you a trip to the shop). When I need a bolt like that and I have a bolt (or nut) to compare it to so that I know the correct threading and size. I go down to Advance Auto Parts and see what size & threading the bolt I need is. They (and other stores) have this thing that you can put your nuts and bolts in to check the thread pattern and size. And they should have the nuts and bolts there to buy. And if you have a dremel or cutting tool you can buy them long and cut them to the length you need.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[ QUOTE ]
terrasmak said:
I think he's waiting for the proper one , probably wont be in there to long

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Hopefully tomorrow! :grin: But tomorrow is sanding day if i would ever go to bed...

·
Premium Member
24,352 Posts
[Grumbling] F-ing rusted header bolts [/Grumbling]

Looking a lot better, Flank :waytogo:
Now's the time to go custom painted :laugh:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts