Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Added some rearsets and need to relocate the brake resevoir. I'm looking for some brake fluid compatible rubber hose with an ID of around .250 (+/-). Everything I've found has been .310 (5/16)Must be able to accept a hose clamp or appropriately sized proclamp (read TFE won't work). Also stainless steel braid would be a plus.

·
Registered
883 Posts
If this is for the hose runing from the reservoir to the master cylinder (which, from your post, i take it, it is) then stainless steel braid would not be a plus. It would just make it hard to get a good seal on the connection. That hose should have no pressurization at all. It just feeds the cylinder as needed.
Try your local bike shop for the hose. They should have the proper I.D. and even if they charge you double what it should cost, it should still be very cheap.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the stainless steel braid will be a plus in this case....I need it for a heat sink. I did call the local Duck store.....never entered my mind to contact the other shops. Good idea and thanks

·
Registered
883 Posts
Oh, OK. But now you gotta explain to us what you did to need a heat sink there.
As an alternative sugestion if you can't find braided cable, you may be able to fashion a seperate heat sink out of an aluminum can. That stuff is so thin it dissapates heat fast, you just have to make sure it's a long enough piece of it to make a decent fin and that it has a large enough contact area with whatever is hot to pick up that heat.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem is self inflicted. New pipes and new rearsets. The rearset master cylinder mounting puts the hose barb and hose precariously close to the S-pipe.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Ahhh, then one more possable sugestion - get some of that heat shield wrap stuff for the pipe in that area. I know it may not look as clean but you would only need it in a very small area and it would probably be the best solution in terms of effectiveness. Sorry if none of this is helpfull. At least I'm trying.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks jxl! I've got some thermal insulation commomly used in the aerospace industry - the stuff is amazing! You can put an L.P. torch on one side and your hand on the other. It is about .0625" thick and very flexible/formable. I've also got another product called "fire sleeve" which is also amazing; however somewhat bulky. I'll use either of these if I'm unable to locate the hose I'm after. I was just trying to make the setup as "clean" as possible and hoped someone may know of a source - most braided line has a PTFE sleeve that is too stiff for a screw clamp or pro clamp. Regardless I greatly appreciate your input - sometimes I get too close to the problem and can't see a solution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts