Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finished (mostly) a recent mod out of necessity that I though I'd share. My instruments that I had, the DP dual analog tach and speed finally went south. The tach's two screws that held on the face plate backed out and the tach just bounced about when I rode. Also, I had this weird thing of my fuel light coming on when I put the bike in neutral. There ended up being a little chaffin' going on so when the neutral light came on it lit the fuel light too. (tho dimmly) Anyways... off it came. I found this little gem of a product: www.veypor.com and decided if I could get it to be a replacement for my faulty dash.

It's got every function that ya need... and then some. It's pretty inexpensive at $270. This things gotta ton of features.... tach, speedo, gear indicator, odo, 0-60 runs, quarter mile runs, dyno graphing, programmable shift light with 2 modes, and braking runs. The display is easy to read during the day or night. Install was a snap. I think it took about 2hrs or so to get it all done. All you need to do is supply a switched 12 VDC (I tapped off of the horn/brake light wire coming out of the fuse box), give it an input from either your existing tach wiring or in my case a tap off of one of the CDI boxes, and glue a magnet on your rear wheel and route a small sensor. It takes another hour or so of fidgeting with it get it set up. Ya gotta set up a few parameters so that it can display the correct rpm, mph, what gear you're in, set the shift light, etc. I haven't had the time to really mess with it too much... but accessing all the menus with just 2 buttons is pretty painless. I had a little time a while back to play with the 0-60 and braking runs. It kinda fun... The other great thing about the Veypor is once the run is over you can access various graphs of your performance. It has a serial port connection so you can pull it off the bike and plug it into your computer and download the data to be manipulated by Veypor's VAS software. It's incredable the amount of data that can be viewed. For example, during a braking run you can see distance gone vs time, distance gone vs speed, distance gone vs braking G's (it has a built in accelerometer), etc, etc. I give this little doo-dad: :waytogo: :waytogo:

The next challenge was trying to figure out how to mount the thing. The kit comes with a mounting arm... but I really didn't like the looks of it. Once I had the DP dash off.. I really like the looks of the bike with it missing. After a little looking.. I saw that the bottom shape of the Veypor sorta matched the "V" cut out in the Monster tank where the ignition switch resides. Wouldn't it be cool if I mounted it there? Then what would I do for an ignition switch?

Well... tell me what you think. (not that I can go back and change it.. it's a little permanent now!) :lol:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If ya look at that last pic you can see a bagged connector. In the next week or so I'll make some sort of plate with LEDs for my idiot lights. I'll post up more pics when its completely done.

Oh... on a funny note... I've almost pushed my key into the Veypor screen more than just a few times. Old habits die hard. :808993-banghead: It's weird putting the key in the side of the bike.

:809028-ridin:

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
The location of the ignition is pretty cool James. I guess the key is recessed pretty well within the frame so it wouldn't snap off if you took a tip with the bike? How's the clearance with the new dash item and the tank with lock to lock steering?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There isn't any clearance issues lock to lock. My bike's gotta pretty limited range of movement, even over stock, with those triples I have. As for the key, it's tucked in there a little ways. I didn't want it stickin' out there like a frame slider. :lol:

[ QUOTE ]
But damn bro, change that clutch fluid!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

:lol2: I just ran out to my bike to take a good look. The brake side is still in good shape.... it looks much better in person than in the pic. The clutch however, is a different story. It needs to be flushed like a mo-fo. I've gotta lot of time off in the next few weeks. I'll have to ad that to my list of things to do.

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Did they instruct you to attach the magnet to the rear wheel? I just figured that if you were spinning up the rear, you would get a false reading.

I was also considering the same model you got so I did a little research. Several places that tested them said that they had a problem with magnets flying off and suggested buying several. They also warned that they can be a little fragile and susceptable to moisture.
Just what I read.
I would still like to get myself one! :waytogo:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll give the blue juice a try, Erik.

The directions said you could mount the magnet on either wheel... but they recommended the rear. An' to be honest, if I'm spinnin' up the rear.... I won't be looking at my speedo... I'll be too busy poopin' my pants. I think you'd get just as much error from the front wheel being in the air a bit on hard acceleration. The glue that was included to affix the magnet is basically household super glue. I opted to use some good ole fashion aviation grade expoxy. My magnet won't be coming off. I talked with the guys at Veypor about the possibilities of weather proofing the unit. They recommended taking a little low adhesion silicone sealant to where the connector is in the back. So far so good... but I avoid the rain like the plague.

·
eClogs
8,998 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
MonsterJ said:
Here's another shot...

[/ QUOTE ]

What Hercules did you rip that connector of? :grin:

Bike looks great! :waytogo:

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
looks good... :waytogo: i saw that advertised in one of those British rags last month.

[ QUOTE ]
It's weird putting the key in the side of the bike.

[/ QUOTE ]
you are now the proud owner of a harley. :lol:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[ QUOTE ]
shamar1 said:
you are now the proud owner of a harley. :lol:

[/ QUOTE ]

Shamar... if I ever get a chance to meet you in person I'm gonna poke you in the eye for that one.... :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts