Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question on this matter......maybe it is just me, but is that all anyone is worried about with the R1 etc...How well it can wheelie.. Maybe it is just silly ole me, but I thought these bikes came with two wheels for a reason. I thought these bike were made to ride the curves and hang on the edge. I have yet to see a post where someone actually asks about how a bike is handling in the corners. Again maybe it is just me, but I have saw 12 squids die in 2000 jsut because they were worried on how good they looked, and how fast the could get the front wheel up. Most of them died in a corner because they didn't know how to use one of the major rules...."look through the turn". If their Front wheel isn't in UP....They Freeze up.
Enough preaching from an older and wiser rider...
BTW..yes I can bring the front wheel up..that's jsut not what I feel the r1 is made for.....

See yah in the corners

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
I can do some little ones... but to me, I would rather be in the dragon!

318 turns in 11 miles! <blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Legend says a Dragon lives in the mountains of western North Carolina. He tests your skills on US129 with 318 curves in 11 miles. Everyone who comes to ride the Dragon will always remember it.

<hr></blockquote>

Plus plenty of AWESOME roads all around that area. Skyway anyone?

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

The Cherohala Skyway is only twelve miles from Robbinsville. This roadway has many long sweeping curves in its 40 miles from Robbinsville, North Carolina to Tellico Plains, Tennessee. Reaching altitudes above 5,300 feet it is the perfect place to cool down in the heat of the summer. Traffic is usually sparse with a large percentage of motorcycles. This is one smooth cycle/sports car road .... don't miss it. Combine both the Skyway and the Dragon in one epic loop ride.

<hr></blockquote>

Check it out here! http://www.tailofthedragon.com

·
Registered
793 Posts
It's really funny that you bring this up <font color=blue>holzieaf</font color=blue>. I ride with a few, well several, guys that get on the highway and bammmmm one wheel for a mile. Then we get up into the hills and you can have your helmet off and half a smoke gone before they catch up. The funniest thing is that they admit to it too. " Yeah, I'll ride a wheelie no prob but if a turn comes up, I'll meet ya at the end or a corner or wherever." I'm not the best rider but when I see these guys pick up the wheel all the time, all I can think is,"damn, they must be able to rip the turns." Not true. At least with these guys. I espescially love it when we ride the twisties and THEY call ME a nut! Yeah, 90 down a three lane highway, on one wheel, with cages everywhere and I'm the nut. Don't think so. /images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
totally agree 69, somereason i just don't quite have the confidence to sit in the balance point, but i'm goin for some more 2nd gear wheelies this year, cause wheelies are a good skill to have, for jumping debris in the road if necessary, and they're fun too, but i def prefer banging through turns as opposed to loftin the wheel, i'm not there to show off toa nyone but myself:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
well i am one of the squids that asked about the r1 wheelies. it might say squid under my name on this board, but let me assure you that i am no squid when it comes to riding. i like riden the rear wheel and all the other stunts(i.e. stoppies, standing on the tank and so on)but i also like the twisties. i invite anyone to come ride with me and i will show you that there are people out there that can ride that rear wheel for over a mile and also ride the twisties. i own a bike to have fun.

·
Registered
793 Posts
No problem <font color=blue>smoke1</font color=blue>. Wasn't tyin to stereotype everyone as one way or the other. BTW, where are ya from?

·
Registered
16,056 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I own a bike to have fun

<hr></blockquote>

Right on smoke! Only reason anyone should ever buy one.
Do what you want on it. I like stunts and twisties and the track. Just have fun.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree with owning a bike to have fun. I am not,and will never be the best rider in the curves,or in a wheelie, but I will say I practice both. I enjoy the wheelie as much as diving in to a tight corner and knowing you are far enough over to drag your foot on the ground. Its all about knowing your limits,and striving to become a better rider,but most of all having fun,and making it home safe to your family

·
Registered
698 Posts
I could care less if someone wants to buy a bike only to do wheelies because the only person's riding I worry about is my own.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
i'm not contending that people that ride wheelies can't destroy me in the twisties, every facet of motorcycle riding comes down to skill, my neighbor- ex racer, can sit on the rear wheel forever, and i mean multiple miles, he just chooses not to for a couple of reasons- no need to show off, he'll show you that in the twisties, wheelies are a bit damaging for your bike, wheelies cause tickets, wheelies make it hard to avoid accidents with traffic around, etc etc, in general though, there are a LOT of kids out there running wheelies all day when they should be out practicing their turns to become better riders, thats all.

·
Registered
793 Posts
<font color=blue>smoke1</font color=blue> I emailed ya. Let me know if you get it because my computer isn't working to good. It reboots all by itself for no apparent reason????? I get that stupid you turned off your computer wrong speech! Fookin thing. Well, how far out in PA is that anyways?

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
smokeskunk, i mean smoke1, u ride dirtbikes? fill out your profile. i live 30 min north of philly. exit 31 off northeast extension

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
holzieaf,

Just curious, can you bring the front up in third gear on the new 02' R1? Just wacking the throttle ofcourse :)

The reason why I pull wheelies anywhere and at anytime is that they are so READILY available on my bike that just seems like is part of riding. And I can say that until now I haven't received anything but thumbs up, smiles, laughs, and even mooning (from girls of course) when pulling wheelies. I try to pull them in a safe environment where the only one who would get hurt would be me.

As far as the twiesties, well, let's just say that I can hold my own :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts