Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I was looking at a used 90 zx6 for my first bike. It has 27k or so miles on it. I haven't really been into bikes for too long so I don't have much of an idea what goes wrong and around when on these things. The seller has never done anything major to it, just change the oil every thousand or so miles. Anything in particular I should be on the lookout for when I go look at it? How are your older zx6's holding up? Thanks.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I rode a '94 ZX6e for 18,000 miles over a period of 8 seasons. In that time I lost 2nd, 3rd, 4th gears. One grand and about 2 months fixed the problem. .UGH . . Other than that just the basic bad gas stuff, clogging my carbs. .My ZX6e liked 100% gasoline, no additives. Thoses additives require a hotter flame, made the bike start difficultly, and foul plugs often. . .Loved the thing though. . Sold it last July and got my ZX9 brand new left over from 2000,
Can you believe I've already got 4,000 miles on my new one...

Real communication happens when people feel safe.
'from the heart of a leader.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I was just about to mention the tranny issues as well with the 6E's. My 6E lost it's 2nd gear last year. Found out later that it is quite common for that model. Not sure about the 90 6's though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there any way to tell if the tranny is going? Will the clutch start slipping for awhile before it goes? Thanks

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
When mine went it would only slip out of gear at very high rpm's like around 10-11K and once it started slipping it gradually got worse and would slip out at lower and lower rpm's until it was totally unusable. Best thing to do would be give the bike a good run through the gears and make sure nothing slips out.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Another vote for tranny problems. I had probs with my '93 and it was an $880 repair. Also, if someone selling a bike says that they changed the oil every thousand miles it would create doubt in my mind.

Forgive & forget. Just never forget when I forgive.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
If you're serious about getting a ZX6 then don't go anything earlier than a '93 model for the simple fact that:

1. That's the first year with Ram-air which makes a huge difference in power!

2. The handling is much better than '92 or earlier and...

3. You can outrun some 750s with it in stock form! /images/icons/cool.gif

The ram-air on the ZX6 sounds wicked! and it pulls all the way to its 14,000 redline! /images/icons/crazy.gif

Daffy

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
If it doesn't start then there is a problem.

I Burn Dust and You Can Eat my rubber!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts