Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I gotta go talk to my girl's dad. and I am remembering my brother-in-laws discomfiture to this day about his switch from calling my mother Mrs...... to "mama" which is what my sister and I call her.

so now I gotta go talk to my future father in law and what I call him is pretty pretty clear. It'll be dad.

but it makes me wonder about all you guys. do you use first names? say "mom/dad"? Mrs and Mr lastname?

how comfortable wwere you/are you? does it feel weird calling another man "dad"? is it weird switching from "John" to dad? or Mr. focker to "dad"? how did it go?

·
Registered
745 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Haru said:
so I gotta go talk to my girl's dad. and I am remembering my brother-in-laws discomfiture to this day about his switch from calling my mother Mrs...... to "mama" which is what my sister and I call her.

so now I gotta go talk to my future father in law and what I call him is pretty pretty clear. It'll be dad.

but it makes me wonder about all you guys. do you use first names? say "mom/dad"? Mrs and Mr lastname?

how comfortable wwere you/are you? does it feel weird calling another man "dad"? is it weird switching from "John" to dad? or Mr. focker to "dad"? how did it go?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm currently living with my future in-laws. Because my fiancee has a young daughter, we often call them "Nanny" and "Papa", otherwise I address them by their first names. Once we are married. I doubt I will change, unless they really want me too. We are very close, but, to me, it just gets confusing with 2 moms and 2 dads. So they will remain "nanny" and "Papa".

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
I call my father-in-law Dick. But only because that's his name. I call them both by their first names, though I've noticed that my brother-in-law (my wife's sister's husband) calls them Mom and Dad. They seem to be comfortable with either.

·
eScreaming Dizbuster
12,112 Posts
No way would I ever call anyone other than my parents "Mom" or "Dad". Girlfriends' parents have always been called by their names. They have to deal with me as an adult of equal status, or not at all.

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
Until you actually have her under contract (marriage LOL) then keep it "Mr. so-and-so". :wink:

Then after that by his first name.

IMHO "Dad" can only come after a closeness that takes years to foster...if at all.

·
Registered
11,190 Posts
I call my in-laws by their first names, but my wife calls my Mom, Mom.

·
eShoelessTVwatcher
10,430 Posts
I call mine by their first name, a bit strange at first and I wasn't sure how they would react to it, so for awhile I didn't call them anything.

Len calls my parents by their first name.

·
eGunny
13,417 Posts
My ex father in law was one of the top accountants for Johnson Controls or Hoover Universal. They combined in the late 1990's. My ex stands to inherit millions. So with that said. Al and Joyce are just my friends now. We talk and all, but I and they could give a crap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts