Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering some advice on which class I should go into on track days. I have bikes for each class and am a new rider so I don't want to get in peoples way but I do want to be able to push it without somebody running into me or anything. I'm getting ready for my first track day and just need to figure out which bike to prep. I'll post a photo of my new collection of bikes as soon as I figure out how to get it in the post. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
439 Posts
In my view, start with the smallest bike you have and learn to ride it well, then move up to the bigger bike(s). You can learn too many bad habits on the bigger bike(s) that their horsepower will "cover up", leaving you no better as a rider. Learn to go fast on a small bike with small HP, and then you'll be fast on any bike you ride. :waytogo:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks then I guess that means I'll start on one of the 600's and try to get the technic down. Hopefully I can get some pointers and I have a few friends that are going that should be able to help me.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Think about skipping one track day and use the money to go to a riding schol - CLASS, or Keith Code's school, or something like that. If you take it earlier in the year, your remaining track days will be tremendously more productive.

BTW, nice avatar. :waytogo:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
A 600 is actually a big bike to "learn" on. But as long as you have fun . . . .

Shouldsn't this be in the track day forum? :kaboom:

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
KRG_Designs said:
I was wondering some advice on which class I should go into on track days. I have bikes for each class and am a new rider so I don't want to get in peoples way but I do want to be able to push it without somebody running into me or anything. I'm getting ready for my first track day and just need to figure out which bike to prep. I'll post a photo of my new collection of bikes as soon as I figure out how to get it in the post. Thanks for the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

:808993-banghead: Street group for you Ken, It doesnt matter what bike you ride its the level that is important. :grin:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Street group? Novice if they have it. The best advice is to ask the track day organizers. If they have a Novice group, they will put you there. I would ride the bike you are most comfortable on. But you really should take a smaller bike. Learn to get through corners first and then worry about bombing the straights WFO.

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
the best advice I've every heard is to buy a really underpowered bike (Ninja250 or something similar) and ride that...when you have to be fast in technique bad habits die quickly because you don't have the HP to make up for mistakes. little bikes are also cheap to repair when you chuck them into a corner and highside

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Yes definately start with a smaller bike. But as for classes for track days, most track days don't have classes for bikes. They are broken up in groups based on the rider's ability. I see you are in So-Cal, which track day are you going to for your first? If you need any help/advise/questions answered, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering some advice on which class I should go into on track days.

[/ QUOTE ]

My Thoughts:

1. Trackday groups (or classes, if you prefer) are based COMPELTELY on skill level (which boils down pretty much to lap times), and have NOTHING do do with bike size. I've passed many a literbike (some on the straights even) on my 600, and I've watched the lines of many an EX in the fast group (while waiting for MY run group to come up).

2. As suggested, a school is a great idea for ALL skill levels, especially beginners.

3. If you don't do a school, go in the slowest ride group. Many trackday providers will use some derivative of an "A", "B", "C" system where A is the fastest.

4. If you don't go to a school, go to a three group day. You'll have more time to think about (and talk to other folks about) what you're doing right (and wrong), and you'll ease yourself into the physical and mental torture of riding at full tilt. 20 minutes is plenty, 30 minutes is borderline...and as a new trackday rider, you can get into trouble trying to "get your money's worth" towards the end of a stint, especially if its a two group event.

5. If you have *a* bike, use it. Don't worry about getting the "right bike" for a trackday, and especially a first trackday. Make sure your bike has good tires, is in good mechanical condition, and meets the basic safety criteria laid out by the trackday provider. Then go ride. Once you get into it, THEN worry about "prepping" a bike.

6. If you have many bikes (I get the impression that might be the case), use the smallest one that they will allow. No matter how nonchalant people get about hitting ludicrious speed on the street, hucking yourself down the front straight at 130-140 mph is NO joke.

7. 600's aren't "small".

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to everyone here. I have gotten some good advice and it seems this is why I stay at this site because everyone is mature enough to help people. Thanks guys and as for the question of which trackday I'm gonna do first its willow.Feel free to hit me up on [email protected] or on AIM at kensdapimp

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Well i dont know what bikes you have but definatly go smaller , SV or 600 and start in the street group or whatever the slower group is . Next thing most trackdays have experianced riders running in the street group to help out , find one of them and ask for help , thats what they are there for , all you have to do is ask . Most of my trackdays i ran all three classes , only one was for my self the other 2 were to help out newer riders . The people running the trackday will be able to point out who they are .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts