Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my bike last week, noticed the coolant is low. I took the cap off the reservoir to top it off and the stuff in the bike is blue....I called the dealer where I bought the bike and they said the bike comes from Aprilia with oil and coolant already in it...they don't know what kind of coolant is in the bike. I just wanted to top it off, and didn't want to have to drain all the stuff out and put in some other brand of coolant, didn't want to mix brands either. Even though it probably wouldn't hurt anything. I'd just feel a little better knowing it's the same.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I have no clue what brand it is, but I have never heard there was anything wrong with mixing brands. If you just need to top up the resevoir bottle use some distilled water. That would be fine as it wouldn't be enough to dilute the coolant already in there beyond its protective capabilities. If you want to drain and replace the coolant, then any coolant safe for aluminum engines/radiators would be good. I have heard of some people using Honda branded coolant for the warm fuzzy feeling it gives them using a motorcycle specific coolant.

Take care,
Gregory

I could have been a squid, but I was too busy posing.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I just topped mine off with 20w-50 motor oil! /images/icons/crazy.gif

<font color=red>MAD</font color=red><font color=white>FAL</font color=white><font color=blue>CO!</font color=blue>

·
eNVisible
15,777 Posts
redtwin~ <font color=red>Honda</font color=red> coolant, although not recommended by Aprilia (for obvious reasons) is known to be used by a lot of dealers. I know when I just changed my coolant (yes, use distilled water as to avoid any contaminents) my local guy said that he's been using <font color=red>Honda's</font color=red> coolant in ALL the bike's he services and he hasn't had any complaints. Great machines with fantastic products, now that's <font color=red>Honda</font color=red>. *steps off the Honda soap box* /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
9,377 Posts
Honda makes soap too? /images/icons/smile.gif

/wwwthreads/files/39-294260-icon_slurp.gif I drink...Therefore I am...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts