Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 6000 miles, during the service, my dealer discovered that I too had a cracked res. tank on my 996. This is obviously a common problem, and warrenty always covers it. I'm wondering, what about when the warrenty is up. It's an obvious defect. Is Ducati replacing these things even after the warrenty is up?

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
You are referring to the clear plastic reservior under the front of the fuel tank correct? Any way to tell if you have a failing unit other than the coolant spilling all over the place?

·
Registered
25 Posts
You will smell it at every stop light. I had it replaced on my 2000 748 after 800 or so miles... :(

"What makes it even worse is that I'm just getting started..."

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, you smell it. But has anyone had one replaced, out of warrenty, with Ducati picking up the tab?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good luck getting anything replaced out of warranty. Unless somehow it's proven that the part's design is defective, the manufacturer (any brand) will deny the claim.

That being said, that little reservoir is a bad part. Don't know why, but they fail repeatedly. I keep two spares for my racebike at all times (yes I've seen two go in a weekend). They're only about thirty bucks a pop, not the end of the world, but if you want to go nuts, look for a superbike replacement made of aluminum. If your lucky, you can find a used one for $3-400. I think the trick new ones are about 8 bills. In other words, buy a spare and enjoy your bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts