Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after tring to balance my wheels using the axle bearings I had some boucing in the rear. I did a little research and found the cheapiest balancer to be around $100. I did a little more research and found an article on how to made your own. Bought all the materials I needed for about $20 and made it. Used it on my rear tire and it worked great. Now I feel the need to rebalance my front tire. If anyone is interested let me know I can give you details.

Riding always makes me -->/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
What did you make it out off?

kman

<font color=red>Live it</font color=red> <font color=blue>></font color=blue> <font color=red>Ride it</font color=red> <font color=blue>></font color=blue> <font color=red>Race it</font color=red>

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well here is the article I came across. I used everything except the bearings & metal structure.

Materials:
4'- of cee purlin cut into 2-18" pieces and 1-12" piece
cee purlin is the metal used to put up steel buildings, garages-sheds-shops
6" purlin cut by the seller
4 - open race ball bearings, 10mm inner diameter, close
to 1" outer diameter not critical), I just bought generic cheap bearings that are 3/8" bolt would snugly fit through, open race only so that there is no drag from a shield or seal
4 -3/8" bolts about 1" long
8 - nuts to fit the bolts,
make sure that the head of the bolt will Touch only the inner race of the bearing, the nuts to do the same, if the heads or nuts are too big they will cause drag on the balls or cages
1- 17mm rod cut to 11 1/2"-12" long,
most BMWs and Japanese bikes use 17mm axles, a 5/8" rod will work in a pinch

The two upright pieces are welded to the bottom piece (the 12" piece) to form a large U.
Cut 2 slots about 3/8" wide in the center of each upright
at the top. Space them about 1" center to center and 1/2" deep, you could do this before welding and have a nicer matched pair by clamping the uprights together (back to back)and making the cuts through both pieces at the same
time (hindsight).
The bearings are attached in this order: bolt head-bearing-nut-upright-nut the photos make this a lot clearer,
Lay the rod on the bearings and if you are anal, you can use a bubble level to adjust the bearings side to side for parallel. If not, just give it the "hairy eyeball". If you lightly spin the rod, you will probably see it walk to one side or the other. As long as it takes 3-4 rotations
before it runs off the bearings, it is fine. You can use a rod that is longer than above and it will not "walk off" so fast. Fit the rod through your wheel and gently set it on the bearings.
Give it a light spin until it stops. (2-3 rotations)
It is amazing how little it takes to make this thing rotate. Mine is accurate to less than 1/4 ounce. Keep your bearings CLEAN! I keep all the bolts, nuts and bearings in a closable sandwich bag. Use a light oil (3in1, Marvel,etc.) on the bearings for rust proof and this thing will last forever.

NEED low friction bearings <font color=red>I used rollerblade ABEC 3 bearings and used the existing axle</font color=red>

<font color=red>I used wood to make the "U" frame and bolted the bearings onto a 90degree bracket. The brackets are screwed ontop of the wood "U" frame with 1" screws.</font color=red>

I did this for now so I wouldn't need to prefab a metal "U" frame. This article is made available from a few sources so I don't think I'm breaking any copywrite laws and I would like to give the proper person credit, as soon as I find out who it is. I've attached a picture that came with the article. I hope this helps everyone as much as it has helped me already. By the way the ABEC 3 bearings are very sensitive which makes a good balance.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
WoW.. Sweet.. Nice job..

<font color=red>SilverF4/images/icons/cool.gif
<font color=blue>"Respect the Wrist!!!"

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
600super, what are v blocks? I made the u frame from wood because it was all that I had handy at the time. But this V block may be better?

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
Anyone have any links to any already made bead breakers and balancers... I honestly dob't have the time to build things anymore and my tools are stored in my fathers garrage 65 miles from me...

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
VTL, here is what I was looking at buying before.

handyindustries.com
800-247-7594
static wheel balancer
Static Wheel Balancer - 13009
This wheel balancer is light-weight, accurate, and easy to use. You can get a precision balanced tire quickly, without downtime, every time, forever.
$138.00
----------------------------------------------------
Metzeler Wheel Balancer
http://valkyrie.safeshopper.com/68/817.htm?927

$159.95 free shipping
------------------------------------------------
Bead Breaker This tool is essential for changing tubeless type tires. It will break the bead on any motorcycle wheel that is open in the middle (any wheel with regular or cast spokes). Separates into component parts that can be rolled in a pack and carried on trips, … but is really a little larger and heavier than most riders will want to carry. Best kept at the ready in your garage workshop, this bead breaker will become a key part of your tool arsenal. Makes fast tire changes simple and easy, … and shreds millions of julienne fries in seconds. Nicely welded steel with a durable cad plated finish. Adjustable for all widths of wheels and all sizes of tires. 18” long. Includes instructions.CAT. NO. 3551 $ 57.00 http://www.aerostich.com/riderwearhouse.store

there are more but prices just go up from here. Hope it helps

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Wow Thanks for the info. on the equipment.."I think I will go buy me some tire changing equipment".. hahaha

<font color=red>SilverF4/images/icons/cool.gif
<font color=blue>"Respect the Wrist!!!"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts