Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been useing Front page, It is good, but I want to be able to do more. I dont want to make it like a word doc. What program would be good? Is there a program that allows me to do it free hand and move the pics anywhere I want?

thanks

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I say more I mean, I want to move pics around more freely. On front page all I can do is put them on there like a word doc. The spacing is down useing typing format. If there is a differnt way to do it on front page please tell me how

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
SSgtGooB, your avatar is very freaky looking.

In regards to having more control over pictures... it may or may not be a problem of Front Page. The way in which web pages are coded somewhat limits what can be done with images, and the only ways to get around that is to understand how web pages are built (how a web browser compiles a web page).

So my two recommendations are to get a book on Front Page and learn about tables and cascading style sheets, or to learn HTML and code your web pages in such a way as to make the images go where you want.

A good place to start with the latter recommendation is www.WebMonkey.com

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks alan, Im going to try the table thing, should of of know, I use exel all the time for work. You know if you want to make a lot of money, make a program that works like photshop with layer but will code HTML. I cant stand looking at code. :make my head hurt:

Thanks everyone. :808922-fiddy:

·
Premium Member
9,377 Posts
Actually, there are programs out there that will do that for you :smile:

I will go along with what Alanheng said - grab a book on CSS, as well as a good HTML glossary and run thru them.

As a programmer by trade who started out using a barebones notepad-esque text editor, I am a firm believer in "getting your hands in the code" - so if I could suggest anything, it would be to get used to working in not only an HTML designer like Frontpage or Dreamweaver (I hate Frontpage myself), as well as a text editor (There are tons of them, I personally use Homesite because I like its color-coding schema). Where those "HTML in a box" designers can work well, you will learn a lot by understanding WHY the page lays out the way it does.

As far as image manipulation, the others have said it all already - there are limitations to what you can do in raw HTML to affect an image, and with the support of CSS in the newer browser versions, you open up a vast array of effects you can use to spruce up your page. Try not to fall into the trap that many beginning web page designers do by adding many kitchy little thingamabobs and gadgets on the page, as they are often more disruptive than "cool".

The Macromedia suite is pretty good - they have some good tutorials, and although Dreamweaver makes an absolute MESS of html, it's a good tool and will help you put together some great pages rather easily.

If you are looking to get into image manipulation, take a look at Fireworks - it's a good entry-mid level image app - doesn't have 1/100th the features of photoshop, but is pretty easy to use out-of-the-box and will let you get up and running quickly with some decent manipulation features. It will also export out the page into html, although you get dreamweaver's HTML and man that stuff is ugly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts