Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is the second major accident that I've had while in an ambulance (I was not the driver either time).

We were going to a call code 3 (lights and sirens). We came to a intersection and visually cleared it before proceeding. Traffic had stopped for us. Out of nowhere, this idiot cager blasts between the stopped cars right into the intersection.
I pointed at the car to my partner and yelled something to the effect of "holy sh*t...look out!!". My partner yells "F*CK". (Funny thing is that he was about to say something to dispatch via the radio. He had the microphone in his hand and the button was depressed. So, everyone heard the whole thing :lol:)

Too late. I remember seeing the front end of the ambulance smash into the late model Honda and then the Honda vaporized.
I thought to myself; "Well, that wasn't so bad. The airbags didn't even deploy".

That hit deflected us to the right. Then I see that we are going to pound into a pole. I thought to myself; "Now, this one is going to hurt really bad".

POW! Right into the pole and we came to a dead stop. At the same time the airbags deployed and it got really quiet. I remember seeing us hitting the pole and then everything went black. It was an enormous hit and extremely loud.
I think things went black because the airbags blocked out the light.

My head and hand were aching. The cabin of the ambulance was full of smoke and debris. I looked at my partner and he's asking me if I'm ok. I tell him I'm good and to call dispatch with our location for help.

My head was killing me. I usually wear my stethoscope around my neck. It was on the floor. Turns out that the airbag slammed it into my forehead right above my right eye. The impact was so hard that it bent one of the ears on the stethoscope. Good thing I have a really small brain surrounded by a really thick skull.

The door on my partners side was jammed and some bystandard was pointing a flashlight through his window. He was yelling something but I'm not sure what.

After we came to our senses, we climed out of the ambulance through my side and went to check on the people in the other car.

Long story short; we bandaged them up (cuts and whatnot)before help could arrive.
My partner and I went to the ER (via ambulance :lol:) for xrays and ultrasounds.

Neither of us had broke anything. My partner had just pounded his ankle on the brake. I pounded my head on my stethoscope (big headache), jammed my thumb back (same one I dislocated at work a few years ago) and my back hurts.

I managed to acquire a few photos. I will try to get more tomorow night but, for now my head hurts too much. These aren't the best.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
dam cagers , well glad your Ok for the most part . At least it wasnt on the way back to the hospital with the lights blearing

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm really glad that we didn't have a patent in the back. When we are "working" in the back, the patent is seatbelted but we aren't. Who ever was attending in the back would have been in a world of hurt.

I'm not sure how fast we were going. I think it was only about 35mph.

My first crash was virtually the same scenereo except we were doing about 50mph when some cager blew around stopped traffic. HUGE WRECK!
I have photos of that accident. I'll see if I can dig them up.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
I bet they'll sue you.. /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

He probably is very important, or why did he have to pass a couple of cars waiting at an intersection?
[fool]those d1ckheads waiting there get out of my way you got nothing to do and have too much time probably[/fool]

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[ QUOTE ]
specialsymbol said:

He probably is very important, or why did he have to pass a couple of cars waiting at an intersection?
[fool]those d1ckheads waiting there get out of my way you got nothing to do and have too much time probably[/fool]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hadn't even thought of that. :rolling:

Seems like it gets worse and worse out there every year. For some reason lots of people think their time is more important that yielding to emergency vehicles.
We have "close calls" on virtually every shift.

The origional call we were on was for a "short of breath". I hope the delay in response didn't jeapordize their life. (a second ambulance was dispatched to that call and 2 more were sent for us). That means 4 ambulances/State Patrol/Duty Supervisor/Fire Department heavy rescue and 3 or more Squad cars were tied up because that driver was either in a hurry or not paying attention.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
That means 4 ambulances/State Patrol/Duty Supervisor/Fire Department heavy rescue and 3 or more Squad cars were tied up because that driver was either in a hurry or not paying attention.

[/ QUOTE ] maybe favorite song was on the radio , cell phone , running late for dinner but im ganna have to bet cell phone, is there any way to make sure he knows the stats you just posted

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Glad you're not too badly hurt, Ben!
It must have been quite humbling for the people in the other vehicle, causing a wreck like that and then being treated and cared for by their "victims" who are also injured!

I'm guessing that the pics are blurred because your hands were shaking? I remember when I had my car wreck a few years ago, I was fine until I was stood away from the vehicle and looking at the damage, then the shock kicked in and I couldn't stop my hands shaking.

·
Registered
11,190 Posts
Dude,

Glad you're still walking & talking, albeit a bit shaky on both counts. :smile:
They say you're harder to hit if you're a moving target, but sometimes they get ya anyways. :crazy:

·
eARRROOOOOGA
17,313 Posts
I'm always afraid of getting in the way of emergency vehicles. I'd be mortified if I actually hit one! [RANT] On another note, one of out county ambulance drivers pulled a dumba$$ maneuver this morning. Blasting through a 20mph school zone, no lights or siren going about 45. Yes, there were students arriving also. [/RANT]

Glad you're good to go man, that was a serious buzzkill ~

JM

·
Registered
117 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
specialsymbol said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Are people allowed to sue if they pull stuff like that??

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Good god ZOEY, glad you are ok. :waytogo:

So, you should hold off on the SV for a bit and build that ambulance into a track weapon. :lol:

·
eARRROOOOOGA
17,313 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
CleaningLady said:
[ QUOTE ]
specialsymbol said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Are people allowed to sue if they pull stuff like that??

[/ QUOTE ]

They shouldn't be. You had on lights and sirens, everyone but this one car stopped. Sounds like they either felt their schedule was more important than whoever's life you were trying to save or felt they were too important to stop for an ambulance or just a freakin' moron ~

JM

·
Registered
117 Posts
That pisses me off :flame:

Sometimes I don't know if I want to even go into the medical field because of stupid people. man do I hate stupid people.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Zoey, I'm sorry that happened, but I'm really glad that you're all right. I'm not a patient driver at all, but I'm always extremely considerate for emergency vehicles.

WFO, While home for xmas, I was at my grandmother's and she was watching Montel. There was a psychic on and she predicted (along with Jennifer Aniston & Brad Pitt's breakup - heh!) that this year, there will be something done about frivolous lawsuits...and penalties for lawyers who are involved with them. :wink:

·
Registered
945 Posts
Sorry to hear it happened.
I was a driver when I was a fire fighter in NJ and, although we would go to a call with lights and sirens, by law, we were not allowed to break the law, and the law for us was no different for other vehicles. Thus, we couldn't exceed the speeding limit, go through stop signs, lights, etc. So, if we would have gotten in an accident with us going through a red light, it would have been our fault for proceeding through a stop light.

I don't know the laws where you are, but in NJ, the accident would have been the ambulance's fault, so...most likely:
* the ambulance would have been at fault
* the ambulance company/county would be sued for large sums of money since government agencies have lots of money
* the driver of the ambulance would have been cited.

Unfortunately, thems the laws (in NJ).

like I said, I don't know the laws in your state, so hopefully they are different.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts