Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is sixty bucks too much to cut my fairing to fit the frame slider on the left side?

·
Registered
770 Posts
$60 for just one side?? Yeah, that sounds a little steep. Granted, you don't want someone butchering your bodywork, but something around $30-40 sounds more reasonable. Just my $.02.

Regards,

JoBu

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

·
Registered
579 Posts
do you have the sliders with the machined peice that your not suppose to have to cut your plastic? mine fit with no cutting my friends where a little tight if it's just a little tight save the money just take the hacksaw you have in the garage and trim the plastic part of the slider to fit that's what we did and it worked just fine

If it fly's Fu$%s or Floats a man should never own it only RENT it!

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
If you don't trust yourself take the bike to an autobody shop or machine shop. Places other than bike dealerships will often do things for about half the price of what the bike shops charge. At least, that's what I've found.

·
Registered
823 Posts
$60???!!! What the (&^$(&$^(&^%)*&U^%#%$## are they trying to *&#$*^%$(&^%(&^%$(*& do to you???

I always say that the best work done to a bike is done by it's owner! Use a Dremel and do it yourself.

If you fock up, I didn't give you this advise!!! Good luck.

"Ask not what your bike can do for you,
ask what you can do for your bike"

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

do you have the sliders with the machined peice that your not suppose to have to cut your plastic?

<hr></blockquote>

i'm gonna opt for the one thta goes directly on the frame. i've read and heard too many horror stories about the bracket breaking lor twisting the frame.

·
Registered
579 Posts
i've op's tested them at 60ish and my bracket did not break or even bend for that matter.

If it fly's Fu$%s or Floats a man should never own it only RENT it!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
JoJo
Use the 60 bucks to buy a Dremel and do it yourself, it is not that hard, plus you will have the Dremel for future cutting and hacking, they are a gift from God, especially the ones with the flexible shaft.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I know what you mean but, time and patience. You can use the clay method on the back of the fairing for an impression, start small and be sure to tape the front (painted)side. Shouldn't have any problems, but 60 sounds way steep

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
i say go for it. as a rule of thumb, i trust myself before i trust anyone else.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Around here, labor rates are in the neighborhood of $90/hr so that doesn't seem that steep at all. By the time somebody takes off the fairing, puts the clay on the inside, reinstalls it, and cuts it, you're looking at a fair amount of labor. I would definitely do it myself. But wouldn't a hole saw work better than a Dremel?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Geez, where is around here?? Thank god my shop doesn't charge $90/hr labor. I'd definitely not be able to afford my Duc. My shop rates are $49/hr. Orlando, FL... (That's why I thought $60 was a tad steep). Guess it all depends upon where you live, huh?

Regards,

JoBu

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I used a hole saw on my Gixxer and it was hard because the saw sucked and there was no place to put the pilot drill bit. I say do it yourself and save the money. It's not that hard if you take it slow and do a little at a time. Good luck.

My toys

1 - 19 of 19 Posts