Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into buying a ZX-6R.
Since it's a typical bike prone to be beaten, I want it new.

Ít doesn't really matter if it's a 2004 or 2005 model for each one has its pros and cons.

Only thing that matters is price, and this is what I got:

Local Dealer: 10.000€, 2005 model, 9.000€ 2004 model.
E-Bay: 7599€ 2004 model..

Now, this is a huge difference. I sent the ebay dude an email to inquire about the 2005 model.
He got a pretty good reputation, so I will go with him, I guess..

But just out of interest, what is the real price for that bike?
He sells it for 7599- and I bet he still gets his share.

Do you think of any way I could still cut the price a little? I'm saving every penny I have, don't buy any DVDs now nor Books.. But it's tight.

·
ehasbeen
5,207 Posts
You do realize that any currency besides the USD confuses the heck out us Americans right? :808993-banghead: :lol:

I think either year including back to 03 will make you very happy. Get what ever you can afford :waytogo:

·
eStarbucks
17,313 Posts
Euro prices are all fuked up. Nothing converts directly over to NorthAmerican prices; you guys pay more. End of story.

You may want to check w/ the ebay seller if that bike is a German model - you may have problems if it's an import.

10,000 Euro = $16085 CDN = $13050 USD

MSRP if sold in US = $8599 or $6586 Euro.

G

·
Get what you can afford new or used. Watch for ebay scammers though. You can get a bike with maybe 2k miles on it and save tons.

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I would go with peace of mind and an undertail exhaust

[/ QUOTE ] Don't forget to buy some asbestos underwear with that undertail exhaust. She gets warm according to the magazines.

Here's a really easy and quick money exchange site. Just go to the bottom of the page and type in the dollar/euro/whatever $ amount:
Clickey Here

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, OK.. The problem is it has to be an Euro-Bike (due to laws and stuff). So I can't get it for the cheap US-Price and import it or something.
But it's good to know how much it is worth over there :grin:

I'm simply looking for ways to cut the price a little further.
USD 8.500$ I could afford until summer if I work a lot during spring break and get a good price for my old bike.

With 13.000$ it's getting more than tight, this is why I'm looking for other ways..

I also thought about a used 2003 model (they aren't sold "new" anymore), but it's a 6- and I know they ride the sh!t out of those bikes. I see it every day in summer- out of the garage and twist it until it hits the limiter in first gear and such.

·
eClogs
8,998 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
specialsymbol said:
Well, OK.. The problem is it has to be an Euro-Bike (due to laws and stuff). So I can't get it for the cheap US-Price and import it or something.
But it's good to know how much it is worth over there :grin:

I'm simply looking for ways to cut the price a little further.
USD 8.500$ I could afford until summer if I work a lot during spring break and get a good price for my old bike.

With 13.000$ it's getting more than tight, this is why I'm looking for other ways..

I also thought about a used 2003 model (they aren't sold "new" anymore), but it's a 6- and I know they ride the sh!t out of those bikes. I see it every day in summer- out of the garage and twist it until it hits the limiter in first gear and such.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not everyone does that and it's certainly not limited to just the kwak 6.... :frown:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Not just 600s get thrashed so I wouldn't hold that against them. I would suggest at the very least looking at the used bikes available, particularly the private sales where you can meet and talk to the owner as opposed to a used bike at a dealer. Just a quick ten minute chat with the owner while looking over the bike can tell you alot. Does he appear to be sensible and mature or an mental death-wish case?. Sneak a few glances at his garage, is it fairly tidy or upside down with old bits and helmets strewn about.

Last but not least, ride the bikes, lots of them...ride a new one from a dealer and lots of used ones. The used bike may have been ridden hard but that does not mean it is worthless. The reason why the manufacturers put 13,000+ redlines on the tach is because the engines are capable of doing it and you shouldn't discount a bike because it has been doing what it was designed to do. A sensible rider will have maintained his bike properly, waited for it to warm up before riding it hard and will have sorted out any issues that came up during his ownership. Part of shopping for a used bike is shopping for the right owner.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ride it till redline as well- when it's warm.
The problem is to find out who did warm it up and who not- there's no way in telling who did and you don't see it just looking at the person if he tells the truth or not.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Looking at the person can give you clues about their intelligence level, or mechanical sympathy etc. I can't speak for Germany, but just because a bike is new in a dealer showroom does not mean that it has been treated with care. I have seen too many brand new bikes, being thrashed up and down the street behind the dealer by the mechanic who just assembled it out of the crate. Those 4 or 5 "test ride" miles on the clock of a brand new bike may be the hardest it will ever seen in its life.

Point is, used bikes may have been abused, the same may also be said for some new bikes. Don't overlook a used bike because you think that they will have been abused.

If you just want a brand new bike and don't want anyone else's "old" bike, then by all means buy the new one. I have bought new and used bikes in the past and I would be lying if I told you it wasn't nicer to ride a brand new bike. I also know that the new bikes cost alot more to buy, and cost quite a bit in depreciation when it was time to sell, and the good feeling of pulling out of the dealer on a brand new bike is quickly forgotten when you realize how much money that feeling has cost you. And if you don't mind my saying it, it seems as though the financial cost of the bike is a big issue for you.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, you're right.
I've been seriously thinking about buying a used bike. I bought mine new and now I could kick myself in my butt because it was way too expensive.

I'm just too scared. I'm not scared of dumb people that don't know how to handle a bike, I'm scared of intelligent people that say "Well, let's buy this new, ride the sh!t out of it, and then sell it after the warranty's gone making only a loss of 2.000 and buy again the new model".

I'm scared of the people that have so much money that they don't care about their bike because they'll sell it anyway after two years for then they surely can afford the new model.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Lets try another angle....

How many used (say 5-6 year old) 600s do you know of with engine problems that can be attributed to rider abuse?. I am sure you have seen lots with crash damage or corrosion from lack of care, but I am only talking about engine damage...oil smoke from the exhaust, rattling valves, knocking from the bottom end etc, things that you would expect to see from an abused engine.

If you are seeing alot in your area then you are right to be scared about buying used. If you are not seeing them then maybe your fears are unfounded.

If you don't know particularly what to look for regarding an abused engine, find someone who will go along with you to look. Best place to start would be a friend who will do it for free, and from the activity in the International forum there seem to be some good ones there. Failing that ask your local dealer if they will inspect a used bike that you are considering buying...of course that option will cost some money for the dealer mechanic's time.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have an '03 and love it. Thought I would keep it no matter what the new ones looked like. lol if its only a grand or so between an '04 and '05 get the '05. Saw it in person yesterday and it looks amazing.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I could ask Kristian or Hans.. Maybe that's not the worst idea. I'll talk to them about this when we meet end of this month.

I skipped the 2005 by now for I got some prices, and the difference is USD2000$ (both new) :blush:
I like the 04/03 pretty much as well, so that doesn't bother me much :grin:

By the way, I don't see many 600s around anyway- they haven't been bought much until 2003 here in germany. And most of them (when I read the magazines) are sold after having crashed. But if I find some... I'll start looking for good used bikes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts