Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ogden to be exact. The wife has to fly out for business so I'll probably tag along. Anything to see or do while I'm there? The wife will be in meetings for a couple of days so I need someway to kill a little time. To bad I can't bring the bike.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Are you going to have a car? Ogden is not exactly the most exciting place in Utah. Not that anywhere else is much better. If you like fishing, there are some good places like the Provo and Weber Rivers. How far are you willing to travel? The best scenery is down in the south end of the state. If you head up towards the Uinta mountains there is some beautiful scenery, (which would be a great ride IMO) but you can only go so far because it is snowed in about 30 miles up. That is about 80 miles from where you are. If you go into Salt Lake (25 miles) there is the Mormon Temple Square tour, and the LDS Conference Center which is a 21,000 seat auditorium, it is an architectural wonder IMO.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
You can walk around the Temple square, can't go in the temple though. Don't forget the amazing place that is Southern Utah. I have spent a lot of time here, mostly backpacking in the winter or early spring, to hot in the summer.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Well Utah isn't that bad, it is more outdoor activity oriented than night life oriented. A couple of the ski resorts are still open and have over 100 inches of snow. Rent a Mtn. Bike and explore the many trials in the Ogden area. Take a drive up Ogden canyon past Pineview and then up the road to Snowbasin ski resort, then over Trapuers Loop and perhaps up to Coaville. That will give you a sample of some of the roads that we have to enjoy on two wheels. Many of the good roads are still under a layer of snow like Monte Cristo and Mirror Lake. You could check out the air museum in Roy just south of Ogden. There are some clubs in the 25th street area of Ogden to take in some drinks and music. Head into SLC for shopping (Gateway or Trolley Square), night life (you can get a drink in Utah), and of course the LDS thing. If the Jazz are still playing, unlikely past this coming saturday, you could take in a playoff game. If you wanted to check out the local sportbike scene the Utah Sport Bike Association has a get together in SLC at the Hooters every tuesday (speed and sex sells, even in Utah). Just some quick ideas.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you are thinking of coming down to southern utah, let me know and i can fill you in on where to go and do, as long as you are looking for outdoor activities. As for bars and good resturants, you are out of luck.

.."riding a two wheeled sex machine like i don't have to try.."

·
Registered
173 Posts
well did the saltlakecity ride, just got back, put 1.3K miles on the bike.

it started on thursday lst week, while riding back from work a car pulled out in front of me. i T-bone ed it. road rash , right shoulder and upper leg hurts, thrashed the bike plastics, helmet, gloves and the phoenix jacket. the driver of the car was at fault and has insurance.

after mending the bike thursday night i left for UT the next morning, friday. during the ride it was near 100F in Provo. i was up to 20+ acetaminophen. it took me about 8hrs to do the 560 miles.

the mormans are a tollerant lot as we did not get any abuse from the cops while doing the usual [censored] on the bikes! the city is clean, less than average crime. its about 4K ft elevation and has western slope weather. things seemed expensive or not avaliable there, for example bike parts. its smaller than denver. there was a lot of homeless people. the streets are layed out good and are effective. unlike denver, during rush hour you could still get around town.

i was staying downtown near the university. the bar situation was functional. got to see the tyson fight for free at green street. i got totally riped and walk back to the apartment where i was staying, no dui necessary, excellent. i got to see the british motorcycle and car show and went to hooters (it was not a tuesday so didnt get to meet anyone).

overall had a good time, kind of sad for me to see good friends that i met in denver, they moved to salt lake city and now are moving back to Britain. so this visit was a good by more than anything. i am sad and low today. need to get my passport updated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts