Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well its been two weeks since i took my 748 in for its oil leak and the dealership called me today to tell me that it would be 6-8 more weeks before they could get to it. I guess there ducati man broke his leg in a crash at thunder over louisville this weekend, and no one else will touch it. Thursday i will be taking it to a dealership in cincinnati and they said they should get it in two weeks. This is starting to depress me, i was only able to put 75 miles on the damn thing!! anybody got some encouragement stories???

Ducati......... not just a motorcycle.......its a way of life!!!!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Man, that sucks. 6-8 weeks more?? I feel for you, bro. Especially with the weather getting better. I hope their Ducati Man has a speedy recovery. Keep us posted.

JoBu

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
see, i told ya... there's always seems to be a further "insult" (of some kind?) to be added to your "injury" just a-waiting around the next bend when dealing with the repair of a ducati. it's the weirdest thing...!?!?! i've never seen any thing like it... there's ALWAYS some "other" sh!%#$t to deal with... :(

·
Registered
783 Posts
im sorry to hear about that.... im also sorry i dont have any stories of encourgement....

hey but you own a Ducati now(LOL).(thats what i have to tell my self)

Eric
"some people have to piss on an electric fence to find out for themselves"

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
That sucks they don't have anyone to get to your bike; hopefully you get taken care of at the other dealership.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I feel for you as well brother. Things like these are part of the reason I went with a RC51 instead of a 998. The way I see it if you just bought a bike from a dealer and it has some type of problem, they should get it fixed NOW. That isn't the case with most Ducati dealers unfortunately. Good luck getting back on the road soon.

If I'm shootin at ya and ya stay still, your probably safe.

·
Registered
648 Posts
try going to another ducati dealer. In Atlanta there are three of them. So when the dealer i bought the bike from told me it would take 2 weeks to get the First Service done, i went to the other ducati guy and got it done in 1 day. and it cost me less money too. You dont HAVE to get service done from the same dealer. Especially if it involves warranty work that doesnt require replacing any parts, ure dealer will still charge for labor despite the warranty. So might as well just go to a different dealer.

An oil leak usually happens when the bike falls on its side, there by breaking the seal between the side cover and the engine case. All it usually requires is a reapplication of the gasket and the sealing glue. So if ure kinda sure where the leak is and there arent any parts to replace. Just take it to another dealer. It will cost you the same as taking the bike to ur own dealer.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
kaka,
If it's under warrenty... you shouldn't pay a dime for parts OR labor. Especially in this situation. If they try to give you a bill... ask for the mechanics name.. the owners name.. and then kindly ask if they can dial the 1-800 number to Ducati North America for you. /images/icons/wink.gif

James Nunez
Monster Hooligan
http://www.motowheels.com
Sacto, CA

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
noah tall, the shaft that comes out crankcase your shift linkage hooks to, its blowing past that seal, it only does it when the motor gets above around 2,500 rpm. but it sprays out and blows right back onto the rear brake and tire. not a good situation!!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
If I were you, I'd check into the condition of the crankcase breather, or have the shop do it. Sounds like there's too much pressure buildup in the crankcase, or else the seal isn't seated (or both). Just a random thought, inspired by the fact that the Honda shop I worked for just had 2 996's in for various work today.

-nominal_squid-
SMUSA #11

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah nominal, actually someone else mentioned that to me today, and i told the guys at the dealership to check it out. it leaks slowly when parked, i know this now because there was a puddle when i picked it up today, and they had never started it. But to much crankcase pressure could be what blew the seal out to begin with. So 748 boys, does the ducati vent through the airbox or some where else? i might check it to see if the hose is pinched off myself too!!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
There is a breather on the right-hand side of the motor just behind the rear cylinder, with a fat hose heading upwards off it. I'm pretty sure it vents into the airbox...not sure about the chances of the hose getting pinched though. It's about the diameter of a nickel and pretty heavy.

Ok, guess who had a 996 sitting in his office out of the rain all day? /images/icons/smile.gif

-nominal_squid-
SMUSA #11

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
catt, if you dial anywhere or anyone let it be the number i gave you to AMS back a few weeks ago in my response to your initial post. from my experience a year or so back, i found dialing ducati A BIG FRIGGIN' WASTE OF TIME...!!! perhaps things have changed...? (huh, yeah right) anyone whose spent any significant time here in the ducati forum over the past 2 years will attest to my story.

it's... been there... done that... :(

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah can you give me that number again shamar?? i think i would like to vent on someone about this, i tell you one thing though after what i have been through, i seriously doubt anyone i ride with will ever consider buying a ducati.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts