1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NYT:

December 26, 2004
Quake, Tsunami Devastate Asia; Over 11, 300 Dead

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka (Reuters) - One of the most powerful earthquakes in history hit Asia Sunday, unleashing a tsunami which devastated coastal areas of Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia and tourist isles in Thailand, killing more than 11,300 people.

The tsunami, a menacing wall of water, wreaked death, chaos and destruction across southern Asia. Up to 30 feet high, the tsunami was triggered by an 8.9 magnitude underwater earthquake off the Indonesian island of Sumatra.

``It was a terrible sight,'' Jayaram Jayalalithaa, chief minister of Tamil Nadu state, said after touring areas of India, where 3,000 people were killed. ``I could see dead bodies all around and the devastation is of colossal proportions.''

Emergency services struggled around the region popular with Western tourists flying east for Christmas sunshine. Some areas were totally unprepared and tourists found their holidays turned into disaster zones while anxious families at home awaited news.

In Sri Lanka, where the death toll reached 3,500, corpses floated in floodwaters, while thousands fled their homes and cars floated out to sea. Idyllic beaches were turned into fields of debris and destruction. Around 750,000 people were displaced.

``I think this is the worst-ever natural disaster in Sri Lanka,'' N.D. Hettiarachchi, director of the National Disaster Management Center, said of the effects of the earthquake, the worst for 40 years and the fifth biggest since 1900.

The worst-hit area appeared to be the tourist regions of the south and east where beach hotels were inundated or swept away.

Local media reported land mines sown during Sri Lanka's two decade civil war had been uprooted and spread by floods. Others used the mayhem to loot shops and houses, police said.

In Indonesia, where 4,422 were listed as killed, raging waters dragged villagers out to sea and tore children from their parents' arms.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Re: 11,300 killed

I guess things like this happen without much warning. Otherwise, everyone would get as far inland as they could by whatever means possible. I read somewhere that Tsunami waves can reach speeds of up to 500km/h (around 310mph). That's nuts.

·
Premium Member
9,377 Posts

I have been watching this story all day - first it was 5000, then 7000, and has gotten worse as the day went on. Absolutely horrible. Those poor people.

Scary point - this is but a "water ripple" compared to what would happen if that wall of land out on La Palma (Canary Islands) ever falls in to the ocean if the volcano there erupts. We will see catastrophe like none before.

·
eScreaming Dizbuster
12,112 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Crudmop said:
Scary point - this is but a "water ripple" compared to what would happen if that wall of land out on La Palma (Canary Islands) ever falls in to the ocean if the volcano there erupts. We will see catastrophe like none before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crud, thanks a lot. Now I'll be too nervous to sleep tonight. :crazy:

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

don't they love making movies of disasters like this? wall of water washes ashore?

I remember various articles in Scientific American, National Geographic etc, that talked of huge tsunamis caused by earthwquakes and underwater land slides, racing over open water to blast coastal areas. Didn't ever really consider the possiblity that it could happen in the present. they are now talking over 12,000 dead. I think its going to be more than that because they are not counting all the small islands in the indian ocean and bay of bengal, only the major areas.

·
Premium Member
9,377 Posts

Sorry TJ - but, I was just reading osmething about it, and seeing this kinda opens your eyes a bit.

·
Registered
566 Posts

One thing something like this does tell you, very emphatically; is that Mother Nature can be a real b*tch at times and man is being arrogant when he thinks he's more powerful.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts

It's like hurricanes where human instinct is what puts you at risk. The incoming tsunami actually pulls water OUT initially, triggering people's WTF reaction and bringing them out towards the coast. Then, minutes later, the wave actually hits. :frown:

Reports are also saying that there was no warning system, which might have saved many. Man. Thousands. :shocked:

·
Registered
6,163 Posts

nature will kill you quicker then it brought you to life. anyone that flys, climbs, mountainers, scuba dives, sails etc will tell you that. so enjoy it while you get the chance

·
Registered
5,992 Posts

Unfortunately, I suspect the death toll will be much higher when all is said and done. :frown:

I've seen the Canary Island scenario on a number of "Doomsday"-type programs. Given that the chunk of land is slowly sliding, it will happen some day. The only question is whether it will be a week from now or a million years in the future. A wall of water 1/2 a mile high!

It strikes me that we in the US are insulated from natural disasters of this magnitude. Elsewhere, earthquakes, floods and even heat waves kill tens of thousands. I feel pretty fortunate...

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Re: up to 23,000 now. (was 11,300 killed)

My friend's (909 Hype) brother's girlfriend was over there visiting family in Korea and then went over to Thailand ...I hope all is well...no word yet :crazy:

·
Registered
3,152 Posts

yeah and on the news around here started off by saying,

top story, a football legend dies, reggie white, no offense to reggie but i would think a top story would be 25 thousand people dieing not 1.

and thats all they are talking about reggie white and this disaster wich killed so many is on the back burner :crazy: thats just not right to me.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts

***Hey***

Didn't Don Rumsfeld just fly over Asia???? :shocked: :blush: :shocked: :blush:

Scott :kaboom:

[Legal Disclaimer - The above was posted by a hyper-cynical lactose-intolerant idiot who just spent the last couple days cooped up with relatives who insisted on pouring egg nog, rice pudding, and cheesecake down his throat. He can not claim responsibility at this time for whatever foulness emerges from his now crippled body.

Donations of Lact-Aid and Pepto Bismol gratiously accepted...]

·
Registered
7,499 Posts

This has got to be one of the most horrific tragedies ever speaking in terms of Natural Disasters mind you.

A couple of friends of mine were in Thailand this time last year, one was there for a month during the time when the Bird Flu was affecting Asia now this, how horrible. :bawling:

Still awaiting word from one friend to see that her friends are okay, the ones she visited near Phuket. /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
526 Posts

This disaster is like most others - unwanted, the earthquake at Bam Iran killed over 30k last year.

The whole thing in Phuket has me really worried, so many tourists stay on the beach and the authorities have only confirmed 400 or so dead with "thousands" missing. I really hope your friends are well.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.