Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, it *seems* that most folks with a Duc have ridden Honda's before (hopefully some of you have ridden the RC51). I mean, most people don't go out and buy a 13 or 17 thousand dollar bike to start on. Here's the deal - I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on this next bike thing, and unfortunately money has whittled the choices down to 2. The Aprilia would likely be at the top (no offense), but if you buy one you either buy big or go home. Ducati is still very much in the picture because they offer the 748. I have here a 98 748S with carbon forza pipes, chip, corbin, and a few other nice extras. 9.4k miles, and the bike is in great shape as best I can tell. Not a scratch on her. $8250. OR... A brand new 2001 RC51 for $8000, which will give me a 1000cc bike that is under warranty, and I have NO questions about how the bike has really been treated. With as little as Ducati bias as you can muster - what would YOU do? (I only mentioned the 1000cc thing because I KNOW at some point with the 748 I will probably wanna do the big-bore kit, its just me. the 996 is out of the question.) Between these two, everyone knows the Duc chassis is better, and I won't even mention aesthetics. Anyway - pop quiz, hotshot....

If I put what I wanted in this signature, I would piss too many people off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My opinion, the rc51 sucks. I have never heard good things about the rc51. I know the first ones had fuel problems, I'm sure they got this fixed since it has been out a few years. Plus the sound compared to a Duc is bad. It sounds like a twin, but it has the sound of a Jap four still. But I see more rc51's traded in for Aprilia's or Ducati's then I see the reverse.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Well, it's still apples and oranges. Ya, you can get the RC51 for $8k, but then you have to get pipes, etc... As long as you're convinced the rockers on the 748 are fine, that may be a great deal. $8k is an awesome deal for a new RC51 and my best friend loves his, so my very limited RC51 knowledge says its a great bike.

I know that isn't a real answer, but take into consideration my previous posts on the subject /images/icons/wink.gif.

Trust your feelings Luke.

Which one would you rather see in your garage? One last thought.....you may soon reach the limits of the throttle while going straight, but will you outgrow the handling capabilities of the bike? Just remember that last year, many 250gp times were very very close to the 500gp times, so there's a lot to be said for corner speed.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fanatik - Don't hold back dude! lol Seriously, thanks for an honest opinion. (I'm leaning hard towards the Duc, if you can't tell - I didn't even post this in the Honda forum...)

erik -

I have thought about the pipes/PCII thing - and that was getting to be a HUGE factor. Then I discovered the 748's pipes are slipons, so I'll be buying pipes anyway. (BTW - does that mean I'll have to get another chip as well?) I also just got an email from him. I can get the price a bit lower if I don't take the corbin seat and the helibars. Opinions on this? As far as seats go, there isn't one made more uncomfortable than the one on my F4i, so I don't think I would miss it. But what about the helibars? And speaking of the rockers, will it cost me an arm and a leg to have his local dealer check them out? It would be the same guys that did his 6k service...

And as far as what I'd rather see in my garage - if it weren't the Duc, I wouldn't even be having this discussion. (Did I just answer my own question?) /images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow up-

How much do helibars and a corbin seat run?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I don't specifically know about Helibars, but quality billet bar risers are between $250-$350. Corbin seat is $199 from Corbin.

If you get slip-ons for the 748, you'll need a new chip. DP chips are fairly cheap (under $50), but FIM and FBF seem to be popular (they are more adjustable) and are more expensive (around $100).

I have the stock bars on my 996 and I'm ok with them. It took some getting used to though. Fortunately for me I have long arms, so I don't lean as far over as most other superbike riders.

I know you think the seat on the CBR is terrible, but nothing compares to the Ducati superbike seat. Its is a new level in torture. It really is a race seat compared to most other bikes. My buddy's RC51 is tons more comfortable than my 996, but I only notice it when just cruising or riding straight and slow (under 70mph). I do my best to not ride like that though.

Aside from exhaust, the only things I consider a must for the Ducati superbike are getting a new windscreen (I love my FBF screen) and vented clutch cover. I know it's not necessary, but I'm in love with the jingle of my dry clutch!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The RC51 sucks huh? Well I beg to differ slightly on that one. I owned a 996 and currently own a RC51 and the RC is a great bike. It may not have the curb appeal of the Ducati but it more than makes up for it in the performance category. That being said I think the 748S is the better deal right now for you Gunner. The horsepower is similar to the F4i but the 748 has more torque. You can also race the 748 if the notion strikes you. When you get the urge for more power the big bore kit will be there for the taking. I have heard from several racers that a 748 with a big bore kit will lay waste to a 996 well up into the triple digit speeds so that too is something to consider. Buy the Duc man, you got the itch for one after riding my 996 and nothing else will scratch it/images/icons/smile.gif.

If I'm shootin at ya and ya stay still, your probably safe.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info erik. To tell you the truth, when I rode mad's 996, I never even noticed the seat. Of course, you didn't care what she looked like the first time you...uhhh, nevermind.

Mad - Well, I finally got you to just come out and say it huh? /images/icons/laugh.gif I think you're right. I know I'll always have it in the back of my head that I don't *actually* know how well the Duc has been treated - but until my wife gets a j-o-b, I won't be plunking down the cash for a new one. So I'll live with it. Besides, I know a dude with a nice little shop at his house should the damn thing need really tearing in to. /images/icons/wink.gif Oh, and whaddaya think Rodney will paint a motorcycle for? I thought maybe a red bull job would look nice... hehehe

·
Registered
770 Posts
Actually, I found the Duc seat to be more comfortable than the RC-51. Maybe it's all those squats I do??? /images/icons/tongue.gif But I found neither one to be a candidate for the Iron Butt Rally. That being said, go with the one that stirs your sould, Gunner. This is all about passion. Make the most of it.

Good luck with your decision,

JoBu

PS. Get the Duc.../images/icons/laugh.gif

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Gunner, Do you have the money to invest in a Duc?...ask your self that question, next ask yourself what are your plans with the bike?..if your going to do track days you had better have some dough to fix what ever you break..next RC isnt cheap by all means, but you need a very good service department thats going to take care of you. also lots of Shops that i know of dont have a very good stock on parts, so that means waiting time..Honda makes a great bike, but?..if your looking for the narrow features and handling of a Duc buy the bike if not go with the Honda..I love my Duc if i didnt own it i would buy an Aprilia, brakes from HELL on that bike, If you do buy the Duc start stocking up on used parts, Like buy a Engine for extra parts, then learn how to do the maintance your self..not hard to do Bro...Good Luck in your decision.

Beck

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
As this thread grows longer I see 130 is having less difficulty in deciding which way to swing. /images/icons/smile.gif

Having a warranty is a plus on the RC-51 side. I've never ridden one so I don't know the differences in feel. If you add some nice high mounts to teh RC they sound pretty sweet but it's a different note when compared to the Ducati Superbikes. I say take the plunge and go for the 748S after having the rockers looked over by a shop.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
HANDS DOWN the HONDA. (And I'm NO Honda fan/images/icons/smile.gif)
8K for a NEW 51 !?!?! NICE!
If the 748 was NEW - THEN I'd go with that. But to me - A used Ducati SANS WARRANTY is a bit risky.
DAMN! I WANT A 998!!!!

·
Registered
783 Posts
go with the honda! you'll probably regret it at first. but after you read all the posts about broken ducatis,bad service,6k miles service you'll know you made the right choice. now if you can deal with all the problems(character) that makes a ducati a ducati then get one!

Eric
"some people have to piss on an electric fence to find out for themselves"

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Since both are effectively the same price, that takes cost out of the equation. Which one do you like better? I'm a Honda geek - I own a Honda car and 3 Honda bikes, but if both were the same price I'd get the Duc. You have tremendous amounts of aftermarket support...factory hop-up parts, carbon fiber anything, big-bore kits, you name it, it's probably made for the 748. Besides, there's just something about Italian motorised machinery...it's just cooler /images/icons/smile.gif

Now for the disclaimer: I have a good friend who is an excellent Ducati mechanic, so I have no qualms about getting one used. In fact, I'm buying his '93 900SS soon /images/icons/smile.gif

-nominal_squid-
SMUSA #11

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, good points by all. Here's what I have so far. There's no question which bike stirs the soul more, anyone who has ridden one (and doesn't ride with any group containing the word "Xtreeeme") knows. The big hang up is that little point brought up about maintenance. I'm pretty sure I could be happy with the RC, but it's not a Duc. That being said, although I'm pretty sure that I can swing the standard character flaws that go with owning a Ducati, I *know* I can't turn around and drop $4k for a new engine if it eats itself next week. If I could, I'd just go buy a new one. (Palm Beach Ducati has new 2001 Bipostos in either color for $9999). Hell, maybe I should just wait about the whole thing. Screw this, I'm buying a skateboard. Motorcycling is depressing.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

which bike stirs the soul more

<hr></blockquote>

I'm betting on the DUC here.
If you want a DUC - I say SCREW IT!! "You will only be young once!" JUST GO FOR IT!!!
For that matter - Get the Aprilia if that's what you want. In the end - They are all great bikes - It would be better to be completely satisfied with your bike than to spend nearly 10K and still long for something else.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess its pretty apparent the Duc does quite a bit of soul stirring - or this wouldn't even be a contest. I'd be lying though, if I said I thought the RC was second rate or that the bike did nothing for me. I just think I need to get the opportunity to ride the RC and put an end to the wondering. If decision time was right this second though - it would be the Duc. I guess it's a good thing I love to work on motorcycles, huh? /images/icons/laugh.gif Seriously though, the very thing that many people don't like about Ducati's is one of the things I love about them. You have to know your motorcycle and be able to work with it to keep it happy. I was deployed for three months and my Honda was never ridden and started only 3 times. Got home, fired her up, and she rode like there had never been a layoff. That's really neat in a way, but I was actually a little disappointed. Nothing but a little chain lube and a tire pressure check. "I just don't feel like she needs me anymore" I'm a freak.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ok, I'll throw in my 2 cents since I owned a 916 and a honda, not an rc but the 929...anyway..the duc is magical..thats all I can say..I felt like superman when I was riding the 916..the sound, the look, the way it felt..I actually liked the stiff suspension/chassis on the street...really is a special bike...now, why don't I still own it?

Maintenance. It's a killer on the 4 valve, hell even the 2 valve ducatis...fbf did my 6k service for 500 bucks...I only had to trailer my bike 2000 (total) miles to get it done..my local dealer wanted around a grand for the 6 k service...and they are no fbf..can you tell how much I loved this bike??

Anyway...the 748 is beautiful but you will have rocker problems, you can almost bet on it...8 rockers per cylinder..you do the math...9k+ miles?? You won't be done spending money after your initial purchase...

In your case I would recommend the honder...I know you don't want to hear this, but you stated that $ was an issue, and I spent 8 years enlisted in the Navy, so I feel your pain...I can afford the 916 now, but I chose not to...As much as I loved the bike (i've wanted one since they were originally introduced) I didn't want to commit that much of my resources to it...I found myself not riding just to conserve miles..I told myself at that point that I need something I can ride, as much as I want...

Hence the 929...the 929 is better then the duc on the street..and lets face it...most of your time will be spent on the street with maybe an occasional track day..and if you plan on your duc seeing a lot of track time..you better have unlimited funds..

Anyway, I know how you feel, your dream bike is in your grasp...you just have to decide how bad you want it..I personally, in your position, would get the rc51 and ride the hell out of it, or consider the Mille..the mille is awsome and rotax builds a hell of a motor..I would look for an unsold or used 2001 or 2000..the priller wont be a honda as far as maintenance/build quality goes, but it's gonna be pretty good...good luck with whatever you decide.

Steve
01 929
01 ex2fity

·
Registered
47 Posts
I own two ducatis, a 916 and a 996. I have ridden the 916 on the track very hard, but have also taken very good care of it. I have never had any problems with it, none. The rockers are fine. I change my oil every 1,000 miles, or after every track day. Valve servicing costs me $300. I haven't had any problems with the 996 either, though it only has 1,000 miles on it. I have found them both to be ultra reliable bikes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
>>Valve servicing costs me $300. I haven't had any problems with the 996 either, though it only has 1,000 miles on it. I have found them both to be ultra reliable bikes.<<

Well, there you go..I guess if the major service only cost $300 I would have maybe kept me 916..unfortunately the dealers around me all want close to a grand for the major service (every 6k miles) anyway...the rocker issue is real, specially for 748's..I have a bud in LA who used his 996 on many a track day, every major service he was replacing rockers, and this was a newer model year 4 valve...for more info go to www.sigmaperformance.com

Steve
01 929
01 ex2fity

1 - 20 of 32 Posts