Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets start planning now so we dont forget, we should all get together somewhere and watch the races come March. now that i dont have a girlfriend to tie me down, i have no excuse not to be social anymore. What sports bars usually attract fans? We should also plan some rides too. seems like most of the esportbike locals never really get to meet up. lets hear some input!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
If I am still in the area I am game. :waytogo: I have NOOOOO clue what bar would have the races showing though. Definitely not any that I go to at least. :blush: :wink:

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
This can't be confirmed but, I was at a local shop buying more garbage for the SV superbike project and they said that BIR was for sale.

Seems like they didn't own it for very long. It would be a decent track if they would put some money into repairs/upgrades.
I had ridden at BIR for a few years and then last season I went to MidAmerica. Much better track. Good surfaces, challenging corners (never did figure out that double-apex decreasing radius off camber corner. :rolling:).

Then I went to Blackhawk Farms. WOW! What a super fun track on the SV. No huge straights. The runoff was a little frightening at first. A little short. Exceptional track surface since it was recently resurfaced.
Absolutely love the track and will do everything in my power to get back there this year.

So, having said all that, it seems like every track I go to is far and away better than BIR.
IMHO

·
Registered
649 Posts
The Superbike Dbl. Header is April 22-24 at Barber. There's a whole group of us from the AR Gap area that are going. I've been an RA AMA Marshal for years, an old Brainard junkie from the old days.... y'all are welcome to join us at Barber in April if ya want. I have a discounted hotel where most of us are staying, as well as the motorcycle campground there that some of the others are staying at. Here is the info of where we will be at... if you wanna join us.

Holiday Inn Express
5911 Rd.
Trussville, AL
205-655-2700

$68 + tax a night is the special rate. It is FULL PRE-PAYMENT in advance for this rate.

The regular rate is over $80 and the hotel is 4 miles from the track. This hotel is also where some of our other VIP Barber track friends are staying.

----------------
Rick Moreland, MSSR (Mid South Sport Riders)president has reservations at:

Comfort Inn Airport
4965 Montevallo Rd
Birmingham, AL, US

Phone: (205) 957-0084 Fax: (205) 314-2400 Toll-Free: (888) 999-0213

The toll free number didn't work today when I tried to call it. I did call them & get their rate of $69 + tax though on the other number. This motel is about 5 miles from the track.

-----------------
The campers & serious partiers of the group are staying at:

29 Dreams Campground Motorcycle Resort
http://www.29dreams.com/

Which is located on Hwy. 25 south of Birmingham on some good roads according to their website. Guess they have bands and some extras.

It appears these are the 3 options at this point and time. Anyone wanting to make the "connection" with the 30 + - AR Gap riders & Mid South Sportbike Riders... can join the AR Gap website & get to know who all is going... or take private contact with me at [email protected]
Kathy
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/AR-Gap/

·
Registered
439 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
ZOEY said:
I believe that the BIR AMA races will be in June. The 3rd through the 5th.
Not positive though. If they are, I will be there.

[/ QUOTE ]
The AMA races at Road America are on those dates. The BIR property is indeed for sale, has been for a while, and the track management folks have by-and-large been let go. There is no intention by the track owners to put any money into the track facilities, and they are hoping to sell to a developer who will build condos and maybe a golf course. However, their asking price is evidently too high, as the bids I've heard of are about 1/3 what the owners want and think they can get. Until they get a bid that they like, the plan is to open the gates for track renters, but provide no other support.

BIR is now officially off the 2005 AMA schedule per AMA Pro Racing. The CRA does have a contract to rent the track through 2005, and will have seven events this year - five at BIR. We expect the track will be unavailable for any purposes in 2006, unless someone comes along with $12+ million and keeps the property as a race track.

OK, the good news related to all this is that there is a new track approved and planned for construction about 80 miles north of the Twin Cities, near Pine River. The track is called Pine Run, and is intended to have a 3.9 mile road course, reconfigurable into two shorter road courses, inside a so-called tri-oval car course (DON'T think tri-oval a la Daytona - it's just a 3-turn car course), along with a separate drag strip and skid pad. People talk about it being ready for the 2006 race season, although I haven't seen any dates published in any official communications from the track developers. The Pine Run track manager and media guru are the former BIR folks.

So this year, you'll need to go to Road America or elsewhere to see the AMA circus. In 2006 you may have a new track to watch local racing, and if they do a great job of laying it out, there may be a possibility of an AMA weekend there after that. Not all is lost if BIR closes... /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif :rolling: :flame: :help: :808922-fiddy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.