Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gotta say, those Triumph bikes look pretty sweet. Almost on par with Ducati bikes I'd say.

But how do they perform compared to the Big Four?

Real answers, not just short and arrogant ones. C'mon, I'm trying to do something about my ignorance.... something a lot of people don't care to do.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I am no expert, but I have ridden alot of bikes and feel the triple has the best all around power delivery. It has the low end punch of a twin, but pulls and revs hard all the way to 11500rpm on my 02 Daytona. Being that the power delivery is very consistent I have yet to find a bike that is comparable as far as comfort, handling, quality, and mostly acceleration. Maybe at speeds above 165-180 a hayabusa or zx12 with the right rider may pull away, but in the real world I have found that the daytona as well as the 02 speed triple have such a jump on the competition, it takes a good distance for the peaky 4 cylinder bikes to catch up. I know I will get alot of flack for this, but it always comes from people who have never ridden a properly mapped and tweaked 02 Daytona, let alone seen one! Tiumph is notorious for a very conservative factory mapping! I have ridden the 1000 gixxer but have since purchased an 01 Mille RSV, which I gave up for an 1150RT. I purchased the 02 Daytona in october and have never looked back or regreted it. Every time I swap bikes with an R-1 or gixxer1000 and get back on the daytona, I feel like I went from a toyota celica to a supercharged Jaguar. Hope that answers your question!

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How's the dimensions? I got a small frame and even the Gixxer is a bit too big for me. As well as the seating and peg position. Oh and the wind protection.

I think I should check out the cost as well, forgot to look at that one. Haha... yeah I'm feeling ignorant.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

·
Registered
883 Posts
For the fit, you are just going to have to sit on one. You mentioned the Ducati in your first post, they have a pretty high seat. My wife fits the daytona pretty good at 5'6" (I think). The tt is considerably smaller.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I'm about 5'6". I'm probably lighter than you're wife (not saying that she's fat!), or anyone else that's 5'6" for that matter. So I need a bike that I could support myself easily on so I don't fly off. I found it hard to support myself on a Kawasaki Nina. Was afraid I might fly off, due to it's larger dimensions.

But yeah, what I look for a bike is not one with a sporty feel... but a racy feel. Which is why I like Gixxers. Though I've never been able to sit on a Triumph yet. Don't see any dealerships that have them here.

·
Registered
944 Posts
That's the beauty of Triumph, their dealers are to encourage test rides. If your over 25 and have a valid license try to set one up, I doubt you'll be sorry you did it. Triumphs are not discribed as lith, so your Ninja experience might be similar. For a real world bike I think the Triumphs are the best. Never extreme in body position, great motor characteristics, and an original sound, compaired to other bikes.

2002 Triumph Sprint ST
World Storehouse of useless Knowledge

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Well I'm 5'7" and I weigh 125-130lbs and I have a 2000 955I.
I have done a lot to it and I still have a few things left that I want to do. This is the first bike that I have owned that will pull from 2500rpm with 2 people on it no problem. My other bikes being 4 cylinders started to pull from 6,000 rpm so I would have to down shift a lot. My bike will pull the front wheel off the ground under hard acceleration 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. I have no problem running with any other bike anywhere except maybe top end where the higher horse power larger bikes have a higher top speed. But if top speed was what I cared about I would have gotten a Hayabusa. I love being able to go anywhere and be one of if not the only 955I there, not to mention the great sound my bike makes under power :)

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I am on my second Triumph and after riding everything from a CBRF4 to R1 to a 996. I think the Triple is the best of all worlds. It roars like a four and powers like a twin. The midrange is among the best of any bike.

Triumph Sprint ST

1 - 8 of 8 Posts