Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

anyone have this bike?
clicky

I own a 05' ninja 500r and its fun but...I don't know. I know I like sport bikes but to be honest, my bike is unconfortable on long rides. Plus, when my wife is on the back, the whole bike goes out of wack. Seems like its just to light.

The Triumph above seems pretty cool but I'm not sure whats going on with the seat?!

I've been looking around for something that is sporty but I could go cruise on all saterday. Any suggestions?

:808922-fiddy:

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
I don't believe the 05 has hit the showroom floors yet. Certainly hasn't by me (and I would know!).

Scott :smile:

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
In terms of riding position, your EX500 is about as comfortable as sportbikes get, with relatively high bars and low foot pegs. If your discomfort is centered in your *ss, you could look into replacing the stock seat with an aftermarket one--Corbin, etc.

As for the "light" feeling when riding 2-up with your wife, if the bike is so equipped, that's a matter of stiffening the preload on the rear shock.

If there is no preload adjustment and you plan on carrying a passenger on a regular basis, then you may certainly want to consider getting a different bike. Based on what you've said you're after--sportiness, comfort, and good passenger carrying--I'd suggest Yamaha's YZF600 (not the R6), maybe a Honda F4i, and, of course, Honda's VFR.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info. Yeah, i'm sorta leaning more towards a different bike alltogether. Partly due to what I listed but also, twin 500....ah, need more juice!

·
Registered
680 Posts
I've ridden the older more forgiving S3, nearly bought one. It is upright with no wind protection. I would not want to ride one any long distance. At higher speeds the wind blast is bad. With the small fairing they offered, it would be better, but not too much so. The new S3 looks cool though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That new Speed Triple is very cool, and received a lot of upgrades this year. The motor was bumped up to 1050 cc's from 955cc's, and I think new suspension and frame. Something like 125 HP at the wheel, stock. You won't need any more power than that, especially coming from a 500. The Triple is a great compromise of an I4 and a Twin. Low end torque with a good top end rush. They sound great, and you won't see many of them at your local hangout. It is more comfortable than any repli-racer sportbike.

I'd say get it. Be different than everyone else! I think they list at only $9995.00.

Just my $0.02

Mike

·
Registered
77 Posts
I love the new look, and I already own an S4. You should take a look at a S4 too. They are only about $6500 and are essentially the tt600 without a fairing. I love mine. I note however, that neither the S3 or S4 are the best touring bikes. You can ride fairly long distance on them, but you have to keep the speed down. Going over about 75-80mph, even with the small front fairing gets to be pretty windy. If you like Triumphs think about the new Sprint- it is sort of a VFR with a triple inside. Very good bike for sport touring and people that own them love them. Cheers.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Claudius said:
I note however, that neither the S3 or S4 are the best touring bikes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The TT600 is a great solo touring bike, IMO. It has the same relatively upright riding position of the S4, but the fairing provides some wind protection. They're very cheap on the used bike market right now. The Daytona 650 would probably be a good choice too. Passenger comfort on the Daytona, TT600, S3, or S4 probably isn't the best though.

For two-up comfort you should look at bikes like the VFR, Sprint ST, FJR, Bandit 1200, FZ1, Concours, various BMWs... if you regularly haul a passenger you'll appreciate the extra torque of an open-class machine.

BTW, here's my TT600 on tour:

·
eARRROOOOOGA
17,313 Posts
There's a new '03 or '04 on the showroom at my local dealer. He's wanting 8799 (or something like that) for it. Pretty decent price. If I were to trade my Monster, I would be buying a Speed Triple. I really like them. Triumph also has a Speed Four which is a 600cc I4 little sister to the triple ~

JM

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, that speed four price tag has me really thinking.

Wow, ninja 500r was a great starter bike but maybe riding all my life on dirt bikes taught me more than I previously thought. I'm done with the thing. Its gay. it's weak....Its ugly.(great way to feel about a bike you've only made two payments on eh?)

I want a Triumph! :bow: :wink:

·
eARRROOOOOGA
17,313 Posts
I would think the Speed Four would pull a passenger without much trouble. My Bandit 600 did fine. My GSXR 600 was ok power-wise, but a little uncomfortable for 2-up. My Monster has clip-ons and I ride 2-up all the time. The Speed Four/Triple probably has a better riding position than my Monster does ~

JM

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
the_journeyman said:
I would think the Speed Four would pull a passenger without much trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would do okay, but honestly the seat on the Speed Four (or the Speed Triple for that matter) was not designed with passenger comfort in mind. Also, the passenger pegs are really high. The Speed Four is a great solo machine but I don't think a passenger would be comfortable on it for very long.

·
eARRROOOOOGA
17,313 Posts
Probably like the seat on the Monster. I know that a day-long ride would be uncomfortable for my g/f. Shorter zips through town & around a few loop rides around the local mountains are usually ok. There is no burm between the pilot & pillion seat, so it's easy for a passenger to slide forward, don't know if the Speeds have the same design, but it isn't a big issue Once she got the hang of putting her hands on the tank when I was braking it made it a non-existant problem ~

JM

1 - 15 of 15 Posts