Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice article. Did not expect Fortune to evaluate a speed triple, but since that is what I ride, it's good to see. Decent comments on tha actual company. I think I will write a note to the magazine.

·
Registered
376 Posts
That is the second article on Triumph! Being a business person myself, I am in awe of the guy and what he has done in such a short time. It cracks me up when I hear people give their view of a company without understanding or really knowing anything about them. He hasn't had 50 years of R & D, and racing programs to correct products.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WildRS, You right, many people have intresting view points on Triumph and their Bikes. One of the toughest things they did was build their own engine from scratch. That was quite a undertaking. Aprilia which is a fine motorcycle maker contracted Rotax to build theirs, wonder if they built it themselves, it is a long process.

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
376 Posts
Like the guy said in another post, "I just want more respect from the rice riders" I dont care what anyone thinks of my bike, but when they slam it because they think it doesnt measure up to their R-1 or gixxer1k because some pro rider post's some good lap times, the Daytona is not meant to compete against the big 4, but it is supposed to compliment them. From my experience I have had no trouble keeping up with any 1kgixxer on the street, for a bike to do that from only evolving 5 years to the point where it can run head to head with what is supposed to be the meanest bike on the street is incredible in my opinion! Some of the early reviews from the domestic magazines was not so good, but then the European magazines started showing things like 141 rear wheel hp and a true 185 top end! Now the magazines are hyping the 02 Daytona. Finally some truth!!!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Good points. For some odd reason the Triumph sport bikes get directly compared with the 4cyl Japanese bikes and Triumph comes up a bit short in the ultimate numbers game (which means what to us mortal street riders). How come you don't see comments about the Mille being underpowered because it only makes 115 hp (this is about what the previous gen Daytona made). Instead you get all the gushing about Ducati and Aprilla both which make very fine bikes, no doubt, but like Triumph they are a little down on power and a little heavier than the Japanese bikes. I see the end result of this on the street whenever you run into someone who has never seen or ridden a modern Triumph. I always get the magazine article regurgated to me, or some snide remark about reliability, or even better yet after seeing the Triple in action a remark about the incredible sound followed by surprise that these bikes actually perform. Very few people outside the Triumph faithful really know the story behind the rebirth of the company. It truly is an interesting story and speaks volumes about the quality of product that Triumph has delivered in a short time.

G

·
I think it is the whole "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" mentality that dominates the sale of sport oriented motorcycles in the US and perhaps some other countries. If it doesn't win the editor's Track Day shootout, it apparently isn't worth of your consideration.
Frankly, I'm Psyched to have a bike I seldom see on the roads. I see countless R1s, R6s, ZX, & CBRs all day long and while they are all fine motorcycles, standing out as both different and distinctive works for me.
Triumph is like the Apple Macintosh of the industry. Different is not only good, it is what sets you apart. Think Different.

Shut up and Ride!

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well put guys, We all could have bought any japanese bike for what we paid for our Triumph's. People choose bikes for there own personal reasons. I love 954RR, R1, and CBRf4i and allot of other bikes. They just were not for me, I tour, weekend ride and commute to work on occassion. My ST is the ideal do all bike for my riding style and is one of the best in the sport-tourer class. People that are into race bike replica's and pure performance, that is there gig, not mine.

Triumph Sprint ST

1 - 11 of 11 Posts