Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In preparation for losing my track virginity this year...

remove/tape up lights
safety wire oil drain plug/fill cap
safety wire oil filter (how to do this without damaging filter?)
water wetter/engine ice instead of antifreeze

Am I forgetting anything? My rear axle nut has a cotter pin thru it...will it need any additional safety wiring?

·
Registered
206 Posts
You'll need to verify this with whatever track day organization you attend; however, unless you are running in the very fastest group, you probably DO NOT NEED to do the following items you listed:

safety wire oil drain plug/fill cap
safety wire oil filter (how to do this without damaging filter?)
water wetter/engine ice instead of antifreeze

Just tape up the headlight/signals/brake light. You might want to cover your speedometer as well since you shouldn't be looking at it. Check out Keith Code's website (I think it is www.californiasuperbikeschool.com). They probably have a list of things they require for streetbikes during their track events. Also, if you rent their bikes, they ALL have the speedo's covered.

Team Pro Motion's website probably also lists what prep they expect streetbikes to have for track riding.

I would highly recommend taking classes such as Keith Codes class 1 & 2 weekend event. You will learn a LOT and be both faster and safer with the investment in his course....

Good luck - 2 things to remember:
1) you WILL become addicted to this, and
2) there will NOT BE any scouts from racing teams looking for the next Rossi - therefore, focus on riding smoothly & safely as opposed to fast & out of control...

·
Registered
944 Posts
Definatly check with your trackday organization. I've read where some will only allow water, & Water Wetter. Engine Ice and Evans coolant are still a type of glycol and still slippery to clean up. Safety wiring is another interesting difference between organizations. If you want to be certain, race prep the bike in safety wire. There's no kill like over kill :grin:

To safetywire the oil filter wrap a wormdrive hoseclam tightly around it, than run the wire off of it to an anchor point.

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
HERE is the rule book for WERA if you are interested in what they require for racing.
If you are just doing track days, it's overkill. But, the more items on the list that you do, the safer it will be for you and other riders.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[ QUOTE ]
hank said:
2) there will NOT BE any scouts from racing teams looking for the next Rossi - therefore, focus on riding smoothly & safely as opposed to fast & out of control...

[/ QUOTE ]

WORD! Partly from pushing traction too far in '04, partly from seeing how I drive in Gran Turismo, I'm about half scared that I'll be leaving my first trackday in a stretcher.... :crazy:

No kill like overkill... :waytogo:

·
Registered
758 Posts
True, most organizations don't require it for the "novice" group (including Sportbike track time, Team Pro Motion, NESBA - the three big ones on the east coast), but it's a good idea for track riding. (in the words of Monte Lutz, owner of sportbiketracktime.com) If you oil down the track and crash, and you're ok, when you get back to the pits, we'll kill you. It only takes a couple minutes to do, and you can even order bolts with holes already there.

Wire a stock oil filter by using a hose clamp, tighten and wire the end of the clamp. Having said that, K&N makes a filter with a nut welded on with a hole, for easy wiring :waytogo:

Hope to see you out there soon /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Alex

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[ QUOTE ]
VT_2tired said:
If you oil down the track and crash, and you're ok, when you get back to the pits, we'll kill you. It only takes a couple minutes to do

[/ QUOTE ]

:crazy: You guys don't mess around... :help:

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
VT_2tired said:when you get back to the pits, we'll kill you. It only takes a couple minutes to do

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess they got some special ops guys working for them. :lol:

If they mean it only takes a couple of minutes to safety wire a bike, then they are a little bit on crack. But I agree that you should do it. I mean, it is done in the race groups for safety reasons, why wouldn't you want to be just as protected.

·
Registered
758 Posts
OK OK, so it might've taken me 20 minutes tops to do the drain plug and filter from scratch... sue me :crazy: You do want the Titanium drill bits (designed for hardened steel) and a steady hand on the drill for sure.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've a pal with a drill press and tons of tools...an afternoon at his place oughtta do me...

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
VT_2tired said:
OK OK, so it might've taken me 20 minutes tops to do the drain plug and filter from scratch... sue me :crazy: You do want the Titanium drill bits (designed for hardened steel) and a steady hand on the drill for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I guess if you were only doing the drain plug and filter, then 20 min. sounds about right, I was thinking you meant the whole bike.

·
Registered
758 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
jay64 said:

Ok, I guess if you were only doing the drain plug and filter, then 20 min. sounds about right, I was thinking you meant the whole bike.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's all NESBA, TPM and STT require for intermediate/advanced groups (oh and the oil filler cap). Wiring for racing? Much longer, I'll find out soon when I do my Gixxer :crazy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.