Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, it finally looks like spring is here in Wisconsin, and I've managed to get the ZX-7 out a few times this week. The new bike fever is starting to really sink in though! So, I just had a few questions for you all...

First off, I really love my "overweight and underpowered" ZX-7, though due to a worsening tranny problem, I'm looking at ditching it for another bike. I'd still like to get a newer ZX-7R, but I know I'm not going to be gaining much in performance over the bike I already have. I like the feel of my bike, but would really like to get something with a bit more power. Which brings me to my first question. Does anyone know of some good engine mods for a newer ZX-7R? Pistons, new crank, etc.? Also, if I were to buy a '96 or newer 7R, is there any recommendation as to what year to look for? As far as I know, they're all pretty much identical. I've had the basics done to my bike, a full Muzzy race exhaust, -1T sprocket up front, K&N filter, and Factory jet kit. But I'd really like to look at adding a bit more serious power to the 7R if I got one. I just want something that gives me a bit of a scare when I hop on it. Ideally, I'd like to get in the 130 RWHP range if realistic, though I'm thinking that could take some serious cash.

Another though I had, was bumping up to a 9R, or 12R. The 9 doesn't really appeal to me just yet, when I sit on it, it feels like a fence rail compared to my 7. And I havn't really had a great deal of exposure to the 12, but I find it VERY sharp. Not only that, it obviously has gobs of HP. I was thinking with the heavier weight of the 12, it might "feel" a bit more like my 7, I could be very wrong though. I'm also wondering if the 12R is going to be way too much bike for me. But it sure would be nice to have limitless acceleration! :) I guess I was just wondering peoples' thoughts on their bikes. I love the look of the 7R still, but I just don't think it'll have enough juice for me. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
well, i got similar problems here. i have a small er-5, and though i get even some of the sunday-driver supersport freaks on the streets (when they're too afraid of a well-done breaking and angles at more than 50°), it simply doesn't provide enough power and (main problem) speed.
so i sat down and thought: what does the bike i want really need?

- it should have great design. (my er-5 kicks ass- so it's hard giving it away)
- it should be at least a sports bike (my er-5 is too)
- it should be running at a cruising speed (on highways) of about 240-260 km/h. (so, here's the problem with my er-5 -it only goes 190, should be 180 in real since speedometer always shows more)
- i should be able to buy it without credit (so i have to sell my er-5 :(

then i looked at it and said: well, that should be a zx9r, or zx12r. i like these small winglets at the side of the zx12r very much, but the zx9r costs much less. so i thoght: let's see, how much money i have next spring.

but then i found the zz12r, and it has something i could really need: more fuel-load. since i want to take my bike not only for racing the streets, but also for going to university, visiting friends (and some of them live quite far away- in france or switzerland for example),i need a bike that is capable of going at a high speed on highways but also doesn't has to stop every 200km for refueling.
and since it also looks quite nice, thats it, and i think i'll buy it next spring.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I can say that the ZX7R is a very unique bike in the way it feels compared to all others. The seating position is fair, and the fuel tank massive compared to some, but very comforting at the same time at speed. I owned my '99 ZX7R for about 6 months before getting a '99 GSXR750, which was faster, handled about the same, but felt much lighter when really twisting it up. One year later, I sold the GSXR750 and got my ZX9R, which I will say is by far the best bike I have owned. True it has different handling characteristics than a ZX7R, but I have learned it and can carry more speed due to the increased torque and HP through the turns. As for mods to the ZX7R, I have seen some, but you will spend more money on it since the market has abandoned it as a race platform for the GSXR models, unfortunately! So my input here would be, "GET THE ZX9R!" You would love it. If you know anybody who has one, go ride it. I have recently purchased a ZRX1200R as well for cruising around, but nothing compares to the ZX9R for power, comfort, and handling. The ZZR1200 is more costly, weighs more, and does not handle like the ZX9R. If you are comfy with the power and acceleration of the ZX7R, then the ZX6R is just as fast due to less weight, and is more comfy.

As for a side by side comparison of the ZX9R and the ZX7R, I have this to offer. If you get the ZX9R, you can always add more power via the Muzzy 998cc Kit, which is good for 155-165hp to the rear wheel. This is ZX12R territory with less weight. As for handling, I don't have an issue with it, a little adjustment and there, a steering damper, and it's great!

I'm Not a Pessimist, I'm a Realist!
Kaaaawwww Waaaaaaa Saaaaaaa Kiiiiii

·
Registered
59 Posts
you could always put a 9r engine in your zx7 you have right now and save 1000's and blow away R1s. WOOT

SOMETIMES U JIST GOTTA SAY F$CKIT

·
Registered
181 Posts
Buy a 9 .If cost is a problem look for a used 98 and up model. There fast enough for any riding on the public roads.The handling can hang way farther than I'm going to go on the street. I rode about 250 miles yesterday thru the backroads of Mass,CT ,NY and touched Vermont for a quick bite. the bike is multi mission capable,my little blue cruise missle,I love that bike. just my 2 cents

nothin exceeds like excess

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, one other thought...I've obviously heard a bit about stuffing a 9R engine into a 7R. Does anyone know if you can fit the Muzzy big bore kit for 9R into the 7R? If so, that could present some possibilities.....

Also, as far as handling, does anyone know how the 7R compares to the 9R or 12R? Just curious...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Weight and geometry wise the 7 and 12 are remakably similar.
I have seen people who have ridden both comment the 12
feels like a more powerful 7 etc.

I haven't ridden a 7 for a long time though.
So I can't really say.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts