Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way to work today I hit the interstate - got a clear stretch of road and I let 'er rip. It was downhill and I had the tach at about 13,700rpm and the speedo was pushin 167!! Wooooohooooo! Thats my new top speed. I never thought the needle would get that close to 170 before... My previous highest was 160 even. Unfortunately I ran out of room before I redlined in 6th -- I might try again tomorrow... /images/icons/smile.gif
Sorry, but I just had to share /images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Now you just gotta figure out what the speedometer error is at those speeds../images/icons/smile.gif

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

·
Registered
679 Posts
on average about 5-6%

"Excuses are like Buttholes, everybody's got one and they all STINK!!!"

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
5-6% at speeds under 100 or so..most speedos have a higher error percentage at really high speeds..

·
Registered
976 Posts
is this a systematic error? meaning its generally off in the same direction by the same amount for a given year/model? or does it randomly vary from bike to bike?

I always wondered that.

The frog will fly at midnight.

·
Registered
679 Posts
probably true enough blue, i was more or less speaking personally, on my ride at an indicated 160, my gps said 151, so i was just putting out a general presumption.

"Excuses are like Buttholes, everybody's got one and they all STINK!!!"

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know what speed I was going but have seen my speedo needle at 170 mph b4 on my 2000 6R (only with the wind though) . Love it!!!!

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I might try again tomorrow...

<hr></blockquote>

Have fun, but be carefull bro..

·
Registered
283 Posts
yeah the error is more like 8% once over about 110-130.....

Things To See, People To DO....

·
Registered
633 Posts
The only way to really know is to do the calculations. The formula for speed includes Gear Ratios, Tire Diameter, and RPM.

I'm Not a Pessimist, I'm a Realist!
Kaaaawwww Waaaaaaa Saaaaaaa Kiiiiii

·
Registered
633 Posts
Ok, did the calculations. I got the exact gears ratios from Kawasaki's website for a 1998 ZX6R. The stock tire is a 170/60/17, and a brand new tire would have a diameter of 25.00". I did the calculation for two diameters, 24.5" (worn tire) and 25.0" (new tire). If the tachometer is correct, with 6th gear the results are below:

**This does not take into consideration Tire Growth at high speeds, which would result in slightly higher speeds**

24.5" Tire @ 13700rpm's = 158.38mph
25.0" Tire @ 13700rpm's = 160.58mph

24.5" Tire @ 13000rpm's = 150.29mph
25.0" Tire @ 13000rpm's = 153.35mph

24.5" Tire @ 12000rpm's = 138.73mph
25.0" Tire @ 12000rpm's = 141.56mph

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Just from my own personal testing, with a new set of Bridgetstone 010's on my ZX-9R (with -1T sprocket in front)

Speedo GPS
10mph 10mph
20mph 20mph
30mph 28mph
40mph 37mph
50mph 45mph
60mph 52mph
70mph 61mph
80mph 70mph
100mph 90mph

(little jump here)
188mph 165mph

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
ya gotta go with the GPS.

Tachometers on bikes are frequently wrong.
We know the Speedo's are wrong, and it has been tested by peeps on this site, like Blue, that it actually gets WORSE the faster you go. (surprises me! I thought it was constant)
Then you got Tire Growth at that speed too! How ya gonna figure that one out!??

Buncha crap if you ask me, you'd think they could do a better job for $8k - $10k.

BA
"<font color=blue>How about never, is never good for you??</font color=blue>"

·
Registered
327 Posts
Did everything that you could see turn to little white lights and start flying towards you? If so, you were at warp speed!!!!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
uh, i dont know about that. that assumes a lot of things that probably arent true. the tach is probably off a bit too. not to mention some of the other variables mentioned earlier in this thread which will certainly be a factor. thermal expansion and deformation would change the ratios and velocity numbers.

"I do not like <font color=green>green eggs</font color=green> and ham. I will not eat them Sam-I-Am."

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wouldn't thermal expansion (as well as expansion due to centrifugal forces) cause the tire to become larger, therefore lowering the number of revolutions that the wheel has to make to attain a given speed? Considering that, it seems that the actual possible top speed would be even higher.. Or am I missing something? Granted the tach is probably off by a little bit, but the difference between 13,500 and 14,000 is only approx 6 mph. I doubt that the tach error is more than +/- 250 rpms, or am I mistaken? Even at 13,000rpms I'd still be at 167mph. Maybe the formulas that are used by that site are incorrect?

I don't honestly think that I was doing 175 either, but without knowing how they arrived at this number I can't really argue with it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
i'm sure they are theoretically correct. there are a lot of factors though that cannot be fully taken into account. all i am saying is take the number with a grain of salt unless you can measure it directly. certainly the number will give a ball park figure.

(yes, you are right about bigger tires) lower angular velocity to achieve the same tangential velocity.

"I do not like <font color=green>green eggs</font color=green> and ham. I will not eat them Sam-I-Am."

·
Registered
633 Posts
KawRidr6R, look at my earlier post again, and you will see that I do the speed calculations with two tire diameters. Notice how the taller tire has a little more speed... Trust ME, these are the correct calculations below as I worked out above for you!

Engine RPM x Tire Diameter
_______________________________________ = MPH

Gear Ratio x Final Drive Ratio x 336

1 - 20 of 22 Posts