Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got my sv650 running again...I took it out for a 30 minute ride...then decided to lube the chain for the first time...I made sure I lubed every link on the chain...I have a pit bull rear stand so this made it easy...well the following day I took it out for a ride 90+ mile ride...and when I was putting up my bike I noticed there was lube all over the rear of the bike...the rear wheel...the swing arm...etc...my question is...how much lube do you guys put on the chain...and how often?...do you guys put your bike on a rear stand and turn the wheel and lube?...thanks..

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
You didn't mention what type of lube you used. I use chain wax and as I apply it I am wiping off the excess from the outside of the chain. I usually do this after a long ride so the bike sits over night. You will always get a little sling off the chain. I use a cleaner wax or a little chain wax on a rag to remove the lube from the wheel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used PJ1 Black Label Chain lube...I lube the chain and let the bike sit over night...there was some excess lube the dripped to the floor...but I guess next time I will wipe the chain a little to get rid of the excess lube...thanks for your reply man...

G

·
[ QUOTE ]
TravellinJones said:
I recommend Pro Honda HP-4 chain lube for a clean bike.

[/ QUOTE ] :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo:It's the only thing i touch. Leave the carnuba wax and tacky lubes in the store. Only use honda HP-4 in the red can. I know from experience.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Silkolene Chain Lube or ProGold MFR (metal friction reducer) here....they are both thin liquid sprays. You can control application of minimal amounts and it's not sticky like a wax, which attracts more dirt.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just apply a good coating of WD-40 when the chain is still warm (after a good ride) and wipe off the excess. Modern, quality chains are internally lubed ( for example the DID X-ring series) and chain lube isn't needed.

All that excess lube on your chain will just attract dirt & that will do more damage in terms of wear than anything.

Make sure your chain is properly adjusted as well.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Just about any chain wax/lube works well...just make sure the chain is hot when it is applied (right after a ride), wipe off the excess, and let it sit overnight.

This will give the carrier (high flash point solvent type stuff that keeps the lube thin enough to spray on) enough time to dry out so it won't fling off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies guys...I'll make sure I lube the chain after I ride...clean off any excess...and let it sit overnight...if it still flings alot...then I'll Pro Honda HP-4 chain lube...

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I agree with zxniner, I use Maxima chain wax, works great-little fling. About every oil change I scrub the chain/sprokets with kerosine to get the grime off. I do have a friend that only uses WD-40 because he is anal ( :bird: Yeh,if you read this you know who you are.) about his bike being clean. I haven't seen a problem occur with his, but he only has 7500 miles onit so far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.