Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Lowered my bike 2 1/2 inches in the rear and took my girl for a ride, 2 minutes down the road I took her ass back home. Tire is scraping on my Undertail Kit. (my girl is only 115lbs) Guess I gotta put it up and inch right!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
What in the hell possess you to <font color=red>lower</font color=red> a sportbike?!?! /images/icons/shocked.gif

You lower cars and trucks...but not a crotch-rocket!!!

Stay off the pipe, Bro! /images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
i would be afraid that lowering it would throw off my center of gravity, or mess up my suspension and or handling....so i'll leave it at factory height thank you, i don't need a low rider chico.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Y O Y (why oh why, for the less than bright!) Would you do something so STUPID?!?! Your motorcycle was designed to perform it's task set up in a manner that would allow it to LEAN into a turn without DRAGGING hard parts all over the place. When you lower a bike, it will not be able to corner in the way it was designed to, making it hard ,( if not impossible) to ride as was intended. If you want a bike to lower just to look cool, fine, but when you drop it becasuse it didn't have the proper ground clearence & dragged a header pipe or footpeg going around a corner, it'll be no-ones fault but yours for lowering it in the first place. If you want something low, buy a harley junk & be done with it.

<font color=purple> This bike capable of evading high speed pursuit!</font color=purple>

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I know many people that lower sportbikes. Most likely, they are faster than most in a quarter mile. A couple are on this site. Now, if you don't drag race, lowering IS a stupid idea. If you do drag, it helps keep the front end on the ground.

Forgive & forget. Just never forget when I forgive.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Actually if he just lowered it in the rear the bike should be more stable since it effectively increased the steering head angle. So it is not necessarily a bad thing, just depends on what he is going to do with it.

Einstein says high speed slows time, so go fast, stay young!
http://home.satx.rr.com/jroberts

G

·
FYI ... lowering bikes LOWERS your C.O.G. not to mention what it does for the polar moment. so long as your suspension is set up properly there will be NO problems. depends on what you like. i don't know many people who can fully load their suspension on street tires and dirty roads so most of you probably couldn't tell the difference between a lowered bike and a stock one if it bit you in the ass.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Lowering is only a bad idea if you lower it too much. I would say that 2 1/2 inches is too much. I lowered my bike about 3/4 to 1 inch to help me touch the ground. I don't have any problems, except with big speed bumps, but even then if I go slow its not a problem.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
From his orginal post,....my reply was...

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

you guys are right though. 2.5" in the rear is A LOT. (hey, ....that sounds sooo wrong...)

<font color=blue>He'll never ride two up without botteming out. (I promise.)</font color=blue>
And, landing any wheelies is now guaranteed to touch ram air to fender, and probably scrape the bottem of front fairing. (but you'll get better at gentle touch-downs as time goes on)

don't ask how I know.....

BA
"How about never, is never good for you??"

<hr></blockquote>

I tried to tell ya brother....... /images/icons/smile.gif /images/icons/cool.gif

BA
"<font color=blue>How about never, is never good for you??</font color=blue>"

·
Registered
170 Posts
ninjyoo you should have read the rest of the responses to your last post. what you`ve done is turned your bike into a show bike that is unrideable, not to knock show bikes, if that is what you are after than great. but if you intend to ride two up you will probably need more than another inch for clearance ,remember to account for suspension travel.I hope you didn`t lower the front that much as well. at any kind of speed that bike will be dangerous

G

·
ignorance must be bliss. all you clowns who thinks lowering a bike is bad for handling should go test ride a new buell. what you get when you lower a bike is a low center of gravity,low polar moment of inertia, quicker turn in provided by a decrease in the rake angle,better fork response due to the decrease in slider side loads and many other things.you no longer have to hang off the side of the bike as much which is a huge plus as far as aerodynamics are concerned.and if your lowered bike does handle like [censored] maybe you should pay someone else to set it up RIGHT.damn squids giving bad advice again.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

damn squids giving bad advice again

<hr></blockquote>

LOL @ 2K1zx6R, good one!

"With Dr. Boogie, the diagnosis is always Funk!"

·
Registered
170 Posts
2k1zx6r I agree raising the forks will make the bike handle much sharper, but only 5 to 10 mm . by lowering the back end he has counteracted any effect of raising the forks. 2.5 inches at both ends results in a dramatically shorter wheelbase , simple geometry.there is a reason other than ground clearance that race bikes are not lowered.sharp handling is great but push it too far and you lose stability for example top fuel dragsters are stretched out to improve traction and stability at high speeds.shorten the vehicle up and it will lose stability and be very difficult to control. before you criticize us " squids " have a look at the numbers and drastic changes ninjyoo is talking about.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Lowering the back of a bike will make it more stable in a straight line but less agile in the bends. Lowering the back increases the rake and marginally increases the wheelbase hence the effect. But it also reduces your ground clearance making it more likely that you will ground the bike in a bend (at 2.5" lower it could also mean the bike is more likely to fall over on the stand due to being too upright!!!!!)

The way to sharpen up the steering on a bike is to lower the front end and/or raise the back. So drag bikes are incredibly low, and race bikes arse-up.

There's nothing wrong with lowering the back, provided these are the results you were looking for

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Duck took the words right outta my mouth. Are you going to put to 12" subs on your bike next???

I Burn Dust and You Can Eat my rubber!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts