Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine wants some opinions on the TLR, she has experience with a Ninja 250, SV, and older CBR900 just wondering what people are getting for HP at the rear wheel, 1/4 mile times, top speeds. She knows it's heavy and it's not the best handling bike in the world. Any reoccuring problems? How about model changes between 00, 01, and 02? Pros and Cons? I told her not to worry too much about Mag tests she wants to know from actual owners, any websites?

HP is a poor substitute for experience and ability.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
It's hard to say whether she is ready for a TLR. They aren't bad bikes like alot of ignorant people think. They will pull anywhere from 116-120rwhp bonestock, certainly more powerful then older 900RR's. They are a bit heavy but the way the weight is distributed it doesn't show up like in inline 4 heavy bikes.

But if she is specifically asking you to find out about top speed and 1/4 mile times maybe she should be concerned with riding a bit more before stepping up.

There were no changes at all that I'm aware of since it's introduction, save paint and stickers.

Best handling bike??? I doubt she will push the bike to 10% of it's abilities so what's it matter what it's ultimate handling threshold is?

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Being a female doesn't mean she can't ride, trust me she can ride. She just wants to know what the other owners think.

HP is a poor substitute for experience and ability.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
in reply to:

I'm trading my R1 for a TL-S. I think it's(the R or the S) a great bike.

Which is why your user name is Not-to-bright/images/icons/smile.gifJ/K!!!

Let other people be right sometimes...it soothes them for being nothing else!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I hear ya there.

Let other people be right sometimes...it soothes them for being nothing else!

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
One of my buddies has a Yellow 2001 TLR and he loves it. The bike is a little heavy but it has plenty of low-end torque and a nice HP curve to motivate things. Rear tires don't last too long though/images/icons/wink.gif. Handles pretty well but most hard-core TLR owners will swap the rear shock for an after market one. Hope she isn't verticly challenged because the ride height is a little on the tall side...for me anyway. I am 5'9" on good days/images/icons/tongue.gif/images/icons/laugh.gif!!

Best of all...they sound [email protected] with pipes/images/icons/cool.gif!!

·
Registered
670 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Rear tires don't last too long though

<hr></blockquote>

3000 miles if your lucky!

I am so happy with my TLR. I can't say anything that hasn't been said already. They are great bikes.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Ask NoudR1, I think I might have him converted, I let him ride my TLR, he came back with a big smile /images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
I was JUST going to post here about that! MAN! What a fun ride!!! DEFINITELY a bike that makes you smile!!!
I would suggest doing the mods that James has - Full race system, PC3, Airbox - NICE!! However, I would urge you all NOT to opt for his custom lower fairings/images/icons/wink.gif
ALSO - I rode one with stock suspension settings back to back with his - ADJUST THAT SUSPENSION!!! The two bikes were like NIGHT and DAY!!!!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Thanks Noud, but I think you forgot about my custom fairings, they are clear carbon fiber! They were made special for me!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I love my TLR, its great for everything from the twisties of Deal's Gap to street cruising. I recomend the TLR and who knows how much longer there gonna make'em

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
In resoponse to the original question:

TLR '98 121.1hp @ 9000rpms
74.9ft/lb @ 7250
10.76s @ 121.9mph (1/4mi)
505lbs wet weight

*tested by motorcyclist on 10/98
numbers extracted from the May '02 issue of motorcyclist

·
Registered
670 Posts
in response to that last stat on wet weight:

I weighed my bike at the drag strip scale w/ 3 gallons of gas in the tank, 476 lbs.

tank capacity, 5.5 gal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oliver, Your friend can't go wrong with a TL (R or S). If she has experience with an SV it's very similar just 2x the HP. I traded in a CBRXX for my TL and love the bike. I have an S with a few mods and wouldn't go back to an in-line four anytime soon. She should ride both the S & R models before making a decision, they are very different from each other. I think the S with a LP or Targa lower is a great looking bike. My best bang for the buck mods in order have been: HeliBars (great riding position), braided brake lines, gel seat, Ohlins fork springs (the rear setup suites me fine, the front needed stiffer springs), PCII & pipe. I have riden the R and find the seating similar to 90's GSXR's, the S is lighter and thinner. Good luck!!!

Drive fast, Take chances!

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
I've almost ridden a full year now but last fall I got the chance to really ride my frist motorcycle other than my YZF600R. A friend of mine let me ride his 2000 TLR. Let me just say that in my opinion....that is what a motorcycle is suppose to be. I couldn't stop thinking of that beastly V-Twin for weeks. Coming from my 600 the torque at any RPM is just too cool. Plus I loved the rumble of the V-Twin at idle or at full throttle. After I got off the 20 minute ride on the TLR and got back onto my YZF600R, my YZF felt like an electric scooter. I think I'm going to have to look into getting a Honda RC51 or TLR someday...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts