Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like this bike. V-twin engine, sweet. Who's got one? Who doesn't have one but wants one? Why did they stop making it? I got so many questions. What an awesome bike.

---Mark

·
Registered
484 Posts
First welcome to the site; you'll find lots of good people and help here. Secondly, the TLR is a sweet looking bike. I just bought a 1999, about 2 months ago and in the little bit of time I've spent on it, I really like it. Not a real screamer but it has the torque. It will be fun to put on some quality miles. Hope yours treats you as well as mine has :waytogo:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm a TL 1000 R owner here. I have got to say, this bike gets a bad rep and it's always from people who haven't been on it. Because of its ergonomics, V-Twin, and the low end torque it has, it is one of the funnest bikes i have ridden. However, at top end it isn't very fast (as compared to others).
The torque is enough to pull a wheelie on throttle alone, which is good for showing off infront of that hot girl in the car next to you.

They stopped making this bike in 2003, but they're still using the engine for new machines. I believe BImota is using this engine for one of their bikes.

If you're thinking of not getting this bike because they stopped making it and parts will be fewer, then you're wrong because there are still a lot of parts available and they're still using the technology they used in the tl.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
The world needs more twins, both cycle and well..boobies. :laugh:

I've got a SuperHawk & an RC. I love my twins. Hopefully gonna add one of the new Aprillia SM v-twins to the stable later this year. That is, if they make it stateside...

I agree that the TL gets a bad rap. A buddy of mine had one and he let me ride it when I only had the SuperHawk. It was a lot of fun, and defenitly had a monster middle-range, moreso than my `chicken does. It felt miles faster than my SuperHawk does, but nowhwere near the topend that the RC has.

My only complaint with them is the goofy rear suspension linkage. They are murder to get right, but when you do it works pretty damn good, so I hear.

Still a fine choice of ride though. Welcome aboard.

·
eStarbucks
17,313 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Haywood said:
My only complaint with them is the goofy rear suspension linkage. They are murder to get right, but when you do it works pretty damn good, so I hear.

[/ QUOTE ]

You talking about the rotary set-up?
It's other problem was that the engine would heat it up and it would fail from the heat. I thought they fixed that problem by fitting a standard linear shock in the back in the final years?

·
eStarbucks
17,313 Posts
N/m it looks like you are correct... It looks like they used it all the way thru.

I remember lusting over a yellow one when I got my 'blade. I still have second thoughts on it - I went in to buy it; but it had already been sold. :bawling: ...I remember test riding the TLS - it was an awsome engine.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have a TL1000R I've owned since brand new in 1999. My thoughts on the bike echo most of the previous posts. I love the bike - the looks, the power delivery and especially the sound. It is a solid sportbike platform on which one may enjoy spending money to improve its shortcomings (suspension and weight). If I totalled my TL, I think I would have to buy another.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Well,I wrecked one and went right out and bought another ( '03). If that doesn't say "I love it" nothing does!! My favorite reason I like the bike--my wife rides with me 80% of the time and it has enough grunt for the both of us and it has a BIG back seat which my wife appreciates. We do long day rides (200-400 Miles in one day) and her only complaint is trying to hold on! And for those inquiering--the rotory suspension was standard till the end. For street riding it is no big deal, I find the suspension stiffer then most and enjoy it. And the problem was not with the engine heating up the rotor it was just overworking it and it not being able to dissapate the heat quickly enough. I have had my TLR on South course at VIR and never felt it fade so I would have to guess you would have to work the [censored] out of it before it faded. My only 2 complaints---they will burn the insides of your legs in traffic, fan doesn't come on till like 225F which is way hot for the rider-easy fix with a switch...the other is they quit making them. The SV1000 is basically the same engine with diffrent cams,heads and injection mapping making it more low and mid range of a bike--and I just don't like the looks of the SV1000.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
FREAKNSTLR said:
--and I just don't like the looks of the SV1000.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree with you, I don't like the looks of it either, but my
god the frame castings (CF forging) are just gorgeous works of art. If you haven't gone up and handled one of the frame castings, you should. It's amazing the shapes they've building and the frame is very thin because of the CF process.

Neat stuff from an engineering perspective... :waytogo:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I also agree about the SV1000, but have you ever seen one with full body fairings? A guy has one that brings it to the thursday nights at fudruckers. I think it looks pretty darn good. They have some awesome looking SV650 body kits at
http://2wheeljunkie.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=10074.

If you don't think that looks good, then you have a problem :laugh:.

(note: I am not affiliated with 2wheeljunkie in any way)

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've been on the SV650s for a year and a half now, and absolutly love it. The bike is so fun to ride. I've ridden a new katana 600 and a early 2001 gsxr 600, along with old inline 4 cb750... Those bikes just don't have the grunt of a v-twin, even if they can be sewing machine smooth.

I'm going to upgrade to a liter v-twin either this summer or early next year. I dig the new SV1000s with full fairing, and love the RC-51 (especially the new black on black). But, I think I might have to hunt down a TL1000r (used bikes hurt less to purchase). It sounds like it's less 'race' than the RC, but I use mine for street riding anyway. I also will have a passenger, so it's great to read that the bike is 2 up friendly.

Anyone have recommended sites for upgrades/faq's/sales?? Anyone have any other 'check these out' bikes that might work for me?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Don't discount the RC purely on price. Used ones with low miles are had for a good price. It's not as bad as you think. You'll spend a bit more than a tiller, but it's worth it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Okay just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. The seat gets pretty warm once you get near 200 degrees. I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this and what's it like in the summer?

·
Registered
315 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Haywood said:
Don't discount the RC purely on price. Used ones with low miles are had for a good price. It's not as bad as you think. You'll spend a bit more than a tiller, but it's worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, i'd love an RC-51, it's at the top of my wishlist...

Since you own one, is it streetable? Are 150mile commutes comfortable (within reason) on it? Is it passenger friendly? And I heard the tank runs a bit small to cover it's thirst. I don't know that the TLR is any better, or the SV1kS.. I know my friends Duc 749S is horrible at all these things.... I'm just looking for your opinions on it - Thanks for the help :smile:

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Tiller owner here too :waytogo:

No real complaints about it other than it loves gas :frown: and everybody I ride with love the sound it makes (full race ti Yosh system) for about the first 20 miles then they start too :bawling: A couple of esporters have nicknamed it the Helicopter :lol: Another is it rev's super fast(not so bad-unexpected) so you find yourself bumping the rev limiter alot if you don't pay attention at first :808993-banghead:

I would never get rid of it and the only couple of things that really need attention from the factory are the rear damper/shock crap thing and the factory steering damper....with all the torque the front wheel will get real light coming out of turns on the gas in 3-5th gear (100+mph) which can make your day a little interesting. I can't wait to get it back on the track again.

·
Registered
484 Posts
To the Tiller Owners:

Have any of you gotten the T.R.E. and if so have you noticed the difference in the bike? Also, did you get it remapped after installing? What's the best non-stock upgrade you've got for it?

P.S. Has anyone else dubbed it a better name than Tiller, I'm still not a fan of that?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.