Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this a redundant type of questions and have searched and read the other forums, but I still need some solid advice. I have an 03' F4i and I will be doing track days about 3 times a month next summer, I also use the bike for commuting nearly every day (5 miles each way). My question is between the Pilot Power or BT-014, which would be better suited for both the track and street riding, of course getting some milage is a concern of mine also. I am pretty interested in the 014's but I am not really sure of there track ability, this will be my first full summer at the track so alot of it will be learning techniques rather than all out pushing.
any other brands to consider would be great also, thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would run the pilot powers if I were in your position. The 014 rear has been
a very good tire but the front will get off shape with half the tread left
and start to slide in the corners. Just what I have seen with the riders in
the twisties next to my house. I have heard nothing but praise for the pilot
powers in traction wet or dry and the mileage is good for how well they stick.
Pilot powers will be my next set of tires. I was very happy with grip from M1
sport tec but they wear down too fast for me. Just for info I ride a cbr 929
so it is probably harder on a rear tire than your bike. Just my 00.02.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I had the 14s on my ZX6RR and liked them a lot. I ride two or three times a week at the track and they lasted reasonably well and when they wore they didn't cup or do anything goofy. Never had any traction issues even when the edges of the front tire were balding.

I replaced them with Pilot Powers, and like them a lot too - I think I like their 'feel' better than the Bridgestones, but I got my KTM motard shortly after I installed them and spent most of my track time doing the supermoto thing for the remainder of the summer. So, I can't say how well they worked over the life of the tire.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
I'll put a vote in for Pirelli Diablo Corsas. It's a little more track-worthy of a tire.

If I had to pick between the Powers and the 14s then the Powers would be my pick.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had 014s but have just now gone to the Powers but have put no mileage on them, all I can say is the front seems very aggressive. I found the rear 014 to be great but the front was hard to get right and I had a couple of slides. Run them too soft and the they get greasy and have bad feel. The front lost traction after 1000 miles and cupped quite severely.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
H2Only said:
I also use the bike for commuting nearly every day (5 miles each way). My question is between the Pilot Power or BT-014, which would be better suited for both the track and street riding, of course getting some milage is a concern of mine also. I am pretty interested in the 014's but I am not really sure of there track ability, this will be my first full summer at the track so alot of it will be learning techniques rather than all out pushing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a set of track tires! Your street tires should not be on the track :808876-nono:

I like the Dunlop 208 for the street but on the track I like the Pirelli :waytogo:
Problem is when you ride on the street for commuting you will flatten the top of your tire.
Also if you ride Fast on the street you can Heat the tire too many times causing traction problems on the track. Not to mention a new set of track tires gives a bit more confidence:waytogo: as they grip much better!! :waytogo: Last Track Day I rode the Pirelli DRAGON SUPERCORSA and fell in love with them. Still riding my 208 Dunlops on the street but thinking of trying the DIABLO CORSA for the street next time :waytogo:

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
CBR600RRider01 said:

Get a set of track tires! Your street tires should not be on the track :808876-nono:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what he said!! I highly recommend getting another set of rims, get some off ebay pretty cheap. It is an initial extra expense, but in the long run it saves you a ton of money and time. Unless you happen to have a tire changing machine in the corner of your garage. When I used to ride my bike on the street and race it, I used to swap them out after trying to just use the one set for double duty and it made everything so much nicer. And if you are going to be doing that many track days, it will really be worth the investment. Have fun. :waytogo:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts