Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Well, the racers took them off because they didn't think they would get race level grip out of them anymore - but who rides at race level on the street? As long as you realize that the tire is designed to work best at higher temperatures than normal street tires are (temps that you might not see under street conditions) and that straight line interstate bombing runs are a bad idea because of the profile and soft compounds...and don't expect any rain grip, and.../images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I was running Pilot Race's (on the street) last summer, and never had
problem w/ them, other then the fact that they last -1000 miles or so.

Welcome to Las Vegas.....Now go home!!!!

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Most of the time I would say go ahead and buy them. I bought a set of Dunlop 207 GPs that were basically new. He couldn't use them anymore because the far edges were worn down a little from running a few hard laps. I paid $50 for the set. The only problem is they don't last as long as the normal street compounds, most likely half as long. Everyone seems to say they take a lot longer to reach optimal temperatures but I haven't noticed a difference.

Rain grip is good if not better than regular 207s and I haven't had any problems with freeway runs/images/icons/wink.gif.

I wouldn't have bought them new but for fifty bucks who could pass that up?!

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Just remember to make sure theyre heated up. Make DAMN sure. They take longer to heat up and despite what anyone says stick with it because thats the safer way to go. And yeah dont pay a lot for them because they wont last. Theyre just good for grabs when you get a good price on em.

<font color=red>Ride Red</font color=red>

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
limenine said it best. Many people use the argument that racers take them off because they are spent and therefore shouldn't be used on the street either. Fact is, they won't be as much use as a new set nor last as long (like through an entire race). Last summer I rode on 208's and loved them, especially the profile of them. Of course, here in AZ the road surface is already at 125 degrees so maybe it's easier to heat them up.

Forgive & forget. Just never forget when I forgive.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i paid $50 for a set of pirellis and the front looks great. i live in NC in the great mountain roads so they will get hot. Any more info?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had my first ridw on a set of takeoffs today. (Pirellis)I have found as long as you heat them up before blasting up the mountains they perform very well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I myself don't like take-offs but have many friends that do. The Metzeler Rennsport RS1 front and RS2 rear seem to be the take off of choice for the street lately. $80.00 a set in the Bay Area.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Go for it!

"Ask not what your bike can do for you,
ask what you can do for your bike"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts