Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any pointers for taking a passenger? I've been riding for one season (SV650S). Never had a passenger but I may talk my gf into it this year. Any help greatly appreciated.

·
eNVisible
15,777 Posts
coldhands~ The three tips I would suggest would be:

1) Tell your passenger not to put their feet down when you're stopped. This not only causes instability but also they're not exactly sure when you're going to start moving again.
2) Make sure they lean with you and not against you. If you take a right hand turn then their weight should be going with yours not in the opposite direction.
3) Most important, make sure they have a firm grip on you or on your bike. You don't want to start moving and they fall off. Although this is not likely to happen, a nice "hold on" is always welcome.

HTH. /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
883 Posts
1)You get on first.
2)She does not get on or off till you say so.
3)She keeps her feet on the pegs at all times, including stops.
4)Her arms go around your waist and hands on the tank.
5)She is never, ever to hold on to your shoulders or arms.
6)She is to try to stay loose and relaxed and not try to "fix" the bikes lean angle.
7)She should keep the center of her torso (heart area) more or less lined up with yours.
8) She should not make sudden movements, they can upset your balance.
9)She gets to make the decisions about anything that seems scary.
9.1)Decide on a signal that means I'm uncomfortable with this" and if she gives it to you, stop doing that.
9.2)Decide on a signal that means "pull over" on d pull over if she gives you that signal.
10) Your job is to make sure she has a good time, not to scare her or impress her with the power of the bike or your riding skills.
11)Before riding, expalin anything about the operation of the bike and how it works that is relevant, especially how turns, lean angle and traction work.
12) You start out as if you are learning to ride all over again, things can be different with a passanger, especially if she does anything unexpected.

There is probably more but that's all i can think of off-hand.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I find That I use the rear brake more to help keep the front from diving and the back end from coming up so far under hard braking.

Don't just ride... slide!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
be really smooth on the throttle and brakes. Keeps from having passenger helmet hit your helmet.

redCBR

Fly N LOW

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I would say the number one rule is the girl must wear a bikini and some high heels, but some may disagree.....what i'm serious /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
16,056 Posts
Thats the stupidest thing I ever heard cmacfar!!!!

Naked is the way to go!/images/icons/laugh.gif/images/icons/laugh.gif

Keep the heels though!

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

There is probably more but that's all i can think of off-hand.

<hr></blockquote>

When she gets on/off the bike have her step on the foot peg then throw a leg over, never with one foot on the ground. I've seen some nasty pipe burns from improper dismounts. Even if the pipe is on the other side it's a good habit to get into.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
One more tip. Avoid very large girlfriends. It's much easier to ride with a 120 pound passenger than a 320 pound one.

·
eNVisible
15,777 Posts
OldFatGuy~ When's the last time you saw a 320 pound woman riding a motorcycle? The imagine alone is more than enough for me.

·
Registered
314 Posts
"When's the last time you saw a 320 pound woman riding a motorcycle"

1998 or 1999 Bike week, Daytona, with a thong, on the back of a Harley.

Yeech!

1977 Yamaha RD 400 French Blue
1977 Yamaha RD 400 Chappy Red
1984 Suzuki Gamma

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Yeah rd400d's fantasies haven't been the same since!! /images/icons/laugh.gif/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I agree with Mirage's points, but you left out one vital point...

Tell your gf that it's just like having sex...you two have to be in sync with each other while ripping thru the motions! Your bodies has to become 1! /images/icons/cool.gif

Daffy

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
When it comes to turning and leaning...you may not want to use the word "Lean" as it scares people. Also... tell her when you turn, she should be looking over you inside shoulder. So, if you are turning right, she should be looking over your right shoulder and vice cersa for left. This pretty much insures that she leans with you, not against you.

Objects in mirror are RAPIDLY getting SMALLER!
'98 Smokin Joe F3 - Miguel Duhamel rocks!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Cant reiterate enough REAR BRAKE. Use the rear brake as there is actually some weight on it for a change to be used effectively.
Lastly, also realize that your comfort level with speed may be much different with your passengers. i was reminded of that couple of weeks ago when female friend told me she got a little scared at one point, and yet I felt I was riding at a very safe pace, like 65-70% of solo speed.i aplogized and made it clear that she always has final say on what speed we will ride. So just be considerate, cause you want them to jump on again in the future.

ado

Work Hard,Play Hard,Pray Harder.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts

Poster: jxl

4)Her arms go around your waist and hands on the tank.

<hr></blockquote>

Make sure you tell here to remove any rings that WILL scratch your paint...I learned the hard way/images/icons/tongue.gif/images/icons/laugh.gif!!

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
1. when splitting lanes tell her to trust your ability and not jerk for fear of hitting a car.

2. get one of those buddy belts. (i don't have one, i'm just waiting for someone i know to have one so they can tell me how it is)

3. if you open it up cuz she asks you to, be smooth about your gear changes adn lean over your tank. i wheelied twice tonite with my girlfriend on the back. (i know i know...i'm stupid, i'm still new to this) /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
883 Posts

Make sure you tell here to remove any rings that WILL scratch your paint...I learned the hard way

<hr></blockquote>

What, the gloves didn't take care of that problem?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts