Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ticket\'s from jealous cop

The other day I got stopped by a cop when I was taking my Y2K 9R for a ride around the block and he gave me tickets for a whole list of things which makes me wonder why these scumbags (cops) are not doing the job they are supposed to do, chase the bad guys, for God's sake , they are being paid from our tax money!
I live in Houston and as some of you know I have been working on my undertail and a few other mods. So I had finally finished the work, undertail, new blinkers front and rear and rode my bike in town (westheimer/kirby area) which is 4 lanes, 35m/hr area with a lot of traffic lights.
I had stopped behind several cars in front of a red light and when the lights turned green, traffic started moving again slowly. I rode very slow as well, not agressive at all,approx 20mls/hr when I saw a madman (*******) with a pu-truck in my rearviewmirrors driving abt 50 mls/hr suddenly showing up. I dont know abt you guys but for me it was safe my skin time! So I immediately took off from 20 to 40mls/hr and while I was doing so I shifted lanes to the left behind an other car, I just hate to have these freaks behind me. I dont like to be rearended and certainly not on my bike and even less so by a truck! It all happened very fast and I had forgotten to turn my blinker on which half the country omits anyway. Immediately a cop showed up behind me and he pulled me over. He gave me a ticket for 1) changing lane without using blinkers, the dumass obviously had not seen the truck behind me who made me have to safe my life. 2) no helmet, I thought a helmet was not necessary in Houston since many years now and no one every told me that I have to wear one now, besides I was only a slow block away from house. 3) no insurance, I had insurance but not with me at the time during my little test drive around the block. 4) no inspection sticker, had one but was cut off with the original plastic fearing, still have it though and need to find a spot to put it back. 6)annual tax sticker expired, it was April 1 and it had expired the day before and have a new one already. 7) license plate not viewable, I had put it way back where the rear shock is, it is hard to see but I have seen many other do it so I thought why not.
When I looked at the ticked it said courtdate May 5th. I thought hey that's a Sunday no I can get out of this one. They now send me a new notice stating it has to be May 15th.
Anyway, Long story short, I am going to plead not guilty, this "young" scumbag cop was probably jealous , he cant afford a bike like mine. I just wanted to share this with you guys and hear your opinions about this. I get almost run over many times every day by "blind" car and truck drivers, they dont use their blinkers and they dont care abt us bikers and the damn cops are not even protecting us . And dont even get me started abt the rest of the real criminal world in our country.
Does any one of you have any suggestions?
FYI, I have clean records, have ridden motorcycles for 27 years ! Knock wood, no accidents either!
PS, if any one can shed some light on the helmet law I would appreciate it.

Flying Dutchman

·
Registered
169 Posts
Re: ticket\'s from jealous cop

Texas law states that in order to ride without a helmet, you must have proof of completion of an experienced rider course, like the one that MSF provides, OR show proof that you carry extra medical insurance for your injuries. A police officer can cite you for not wearing a helmet if you cannot provide proof of either of these conditions. You do not have a case. You were caught with your pants down by 1. not signaling, 2. not having proof of a current state inspection and liability insurance, and 3. Improperly displaying your license plate. Did you reroute a light to shine on the plate at night? If not, you're failing to comply with the law. Also, the fact that you had to change lanes to avoid a speeding truck is a mitigating circumstance that does not excempt you from the law. Your defense here would be similar to being pulled over for speeding and telling the officer, "The car in front of me was speeding too." Probably true, but you're still breaking the law.

·
Registered
336 Posts

Sorry you got the tikets, but calling the officer a scumbag is a bit harsh. You got racked up, but from the way you described it, you were guilty of everything he charged you with. I can honestly say that I have never enforced a law based on the fact that I was jealous of someone or their belongings. I'm not sure if there is a helmet law in Texas, but it seems smarter to wear one regardless.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts

The Helmet Law was close mcehawk, but you also must pay a 5 dollar or so fee and recieve a special sticker to show the po-po. The love to site people for not having this on at the beach. As far as getting out of any of it I am doubting it, You still might be able to take a driver safety course to have them drop the ticket. Also look at it this way anytime you leave the Westheimer area with the vehicle you came in you are doing good!!!! Many trips to the clubs and come out to find a pile of broken glass and tire tracks, even with the scumsucking Houston police around!

·
Registered
169 Posts

I lived in San Antonio for six years and haven't heard about a sticker. I left in 2000, so maybe that's something new. I am a Department of Defense employee, so I had to wear a helmet anyway. That, and I want to maintain my IQ if I had an accident. :)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

ouch. Good luck with those things. I wear my helmet on even the shortest of rides.

I Burn Dust and You Can Eat my rubber!!!!

·
Registered
2,228 Posts

He did it to you because all you sportbike riders are scum. Oh wait, that's generalizing too. Seriously, you've been riding for 27 years and didn't know the local laws. Hmmm. Well, you were guilty of everything you were cited for according to your own post. So, why gripe about it now? If you get caught short, so be it. Fight it and win or lose. It's the system. If you know of a better one, make it happen.

As for the cop being jealous, doubtful. First, there are several cops on this board that have just as nice a bike as yours. Second, we can all afford them. Maybe he didn't like your attitude and stacked them. I wouldn't write that many offenses to anyone unless they were an absolute jerk. Maybe he rides a harley.

Your tax money? What does his tax money pay for then?

Many of the cops (current/former) have always been willing to help people with ways out of a ticket to those on this board. However, considering the way you refer to cops on more than one occasion, good luck. Maybe you wrote it right after it happened, who knows?

Forgive & forget. Just never forget when I forgive.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts

I guess I'm confused. Help me understand...

1- You changed lanes without signalling. Cop writes you a ticket for changing lanes without signalling.
2- You weren't wearing a helmet. Cop writes you a ticket for not wearing a helmet.
3- You didn't have proof of insurance. Cop writes you a ticket for not having proof of insurance.
4- You didn't have an inspection sticker. Cop writes you a ticket for not having an inspection sticker.
5- You didn't have a tax sticker (whatever that is). Cop writes you a ticket for not having a tax sticker.
6- Your plate wasn't viewable. Cop writes you a ticket for your plate not being viewable.

Where is the injustice? Where did the cop go wrong? How, exactly, are you going to plead "not guilty"?

·
Registered
633 Posts

First of all, go to an attorney to represent all of the tickets. The one for no insurance will probably be dropped if you show proof that you infact had insurance before the date of incident. The license plate, he got you there, move it to the tail and you will have to pay a fine, good thing it is not a moving violation. As for the no signal, well just give it to your lawyer and get deferred adjudication, or probation for that one. No helmet, hmmmm, why were you not wearing a helmet in the first place? Most motorcycle injurys/accidents that occur with other vehicles are low speed incidents, but that still won't protect the only brain and skull you have!

I'm Not a Pessimist, I'm a Realist!
Kaaaawwww Waaaaaaa Saaaaaaa Kiiiiii

·
Registered
4,176 Posts

Are some of them pending valid proof, usually they will let you bring it within 7 days to the courthouse. Oh yeah about the cops being aholes, I will have to say I have yet to meet a good one in Houston, they all seem to have a problem with the people, and believe me I have met a lot of them, in a business setting and they still act like they are untouchable.

·
Registered
527 Posts

That sucks Dutch. I know you're probably just venting but it seems like most of them are just "fix it" tickets. I used to get pissed when I'd get them for my tinted windows in Chicago so I took them off. Same with the front plate.

By the way, I know I'm not your mother but wear your helmet.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

YES! If cops pull people over out of bike envy, I've got nothing to worry about.../images/icons/laugh.gif/images/icons/laugh.gif/images/icons/laugh.gif/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

First of all, I appologize for generalizing too much! All of you are right, not all cops are bad, I am just extremely disappointed in the fact that the cop could have stopped the pu truck driver but I was an easier target. And again, not all cops do this but I do beieve that it is a lot easier and less risky to stop a so called normal citizen who always pays his taxes and never really breaks the law than stopping a macho red neck full with steroids and tatoos who thinks the world owes him and runs everything that is smaller than his truck off the road. OK I did break the law, but again I actually always wear a helmet, my bike had not been ridding for several months and I literally took it around the block , 1/2 mile from my home.
Also, I am sure most of you must have experienced more than once in there motor cycle career and certainly more so in Texas, that we are always a target and always have to be aware of deadly attacks from other drivers in cars and in trucks. Some of us may ride their bikes too fast at times than traffic alowes, but we are the ones that get caught because we are too loud , too fast etc etc.
Point being, what does the law do to protect us, besides the helmet law. There should be better drivers education before a drivers-lisence is issued!. I was born in Europe and it takes at least 10 sometimes 20 - 1 hour leasons PLUS a very difficult test (1 hour driving only) before you are even allowed to take a test! So for those law enforcers on this site, enforcing the law is a good thing, but there is more to that, think a little further than what you learn at school if this is your choice of career. Anyway, I am getting way too far into this, thanks for all of your comments, drive safe all of you!

Flying Dutchman

·
Registered
2,228 Posts

Dutch, sounds much better. In all fairness, I've heard horror stories about the state cops in TX, not much about the city ones though.

Keep in mind, the cop doesn't know if you are the upstanding citizen that pays his taxes or someone that just stole the bike. He didn't pull you over because it was safer. It's not illegal to fly up on someone's ass if you aren't speeding and don't lock up the wheel. From your description, he didn't have p.c. to stop the truck.

Forgive & forget. Just never forget when I forgive.

·
Registered
388 Posts

Nicely done Dutch. It's show's you have class.
I understand your raving though; tickets suck.
Keep it safe!
/images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
38 Posts

Hate to hear that things are still like that in Texas. I was raped like that a few times passing through Austin. Of course, I was speeding, riding wheelies and acting kind of stupid. But the cops weren't very nice about it either. No sense of humor I guess. I can't blame it on being ********, cause I am one of the biggest ******** you've ever seen. All in all Texas cops were rough on me, I always thought it was because I was a smart mouth military punk with out of state tags. At least I know they hate everyone the same!! Good luck with the tickets, I think you're gonna need it.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts

To clarify my statement the TX state troopers DPS, are usually really cool, the city cops are the PIA guess cause they don't get to cruise at Mach one in a Z28 all day /images/icons/cool.gif. Who could blame the Houston PD they have BABY blue cars, they are ugly

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

I'd say you were just having a Sh!tty day! /images/icons/tongue.gif

What a coincidence, you had all these things After you were cited for the offenses!

Good Luck Bro! /images/icons/wink.gif

1 - 20 of 20 Posts