Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I went to the local dealers (Kawasaki's, Suzuki's, & Honda's they are all next to each other) today to look at the 2005 models they had in. The one model that caught my eye was the new ZZR-600. Mainly because I wasnt expecting it, I was there to see the new CBR's, GSXR's, & Ninja's. The new ZZR-600 has been redesigned drasticly. It looks and feels (all I did was sit on it) sportier. What it seems to me is that they put a 600cc motor in a 1000 or 1200cc sport bike frame. The ergos and feel of the bike reminded me of the 2004 ZX-12, but its not quite that big. But it is just a smidge bigger than the ZX-10. The ZZR-1200 is nothing like the ZZR-600, i'm supprised they have the same call letters. So dont think that because you have seen the new ZZR-1200 you will have the basic idea of what the new ZZR-600 is. I just havent heard anyone talking about the new ZZR-600, so I had to mention it. It looks to be a great starter bike for the serious sport bike novice. Or a sportbike for anyone. I'm guessing it has approximately 100hp and it weighs 377lbs, so very capable bike. Kawasaki says, and I quote "will strongly appeal to sportbike riders of all skill levels and especially first-time buyers.", and I agree. So when the new guys come and ask for suggestions on a first time bike, here is a new one to mention.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
I think they should keep the sharp design to the Ninjas and continue that soft design in the ZZR line.
I kinda liked the design of the ZZR1200 pretty much. :waytogo:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
All they did was continue making the 2000-2002 ZX6-R and re-name it the ZZR600. It's virtually identical. Given that the price is $1000 less than it was 3 years ago, it gives you an idea how much $$ they make per bike.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
1slowF3 said:
All they did was continue making the 2000-2002 ZX6-R and re-name it the ZZR600. It's virtually identical. Given that the price is $1000 less than it was 3 years ago, it gives you an idea how much $$ they make per bike.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya... that was my first bike when it was a '00 6R... Pisses me off that they would reintro it as NEW etc.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
stiles6r said:

ya... that was my first bike when it was a '00 6R... Pisses me off that they would reintro it as NEW etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a brand new Gixxer 600 today makes a great starter bike, then I guess this ZZR 600 makes a great starter bike, too; seeing as they're not that far apart performance wise. The ZZR 600 was Kawasaki's 600cc race bike for many years, anyhow.

But as far as rebadging it as new - probably good marketing.

And seeing as the latest bunch of 600cc sportbikes seem so uncomfortable, I can see myself getting the ZZR 600 as my next bike.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
1slowF3 said:

All they did was continue making the 2000-2002 ZX6-R and re-name it the ZZR600.

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY!

(*Not that that's a bad thing....*)

Scott :smile:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I agree. I recently bought my first sports bike (ninja 500r) and I looked at the zzr 600 zx 600 and the 500r. Both the 600's where allot bigger and heavier feeling to me. Plus, it's almost double the hp as the 500r.

But, I really liked the '05 zzr 600 and I'm thinking of trading my bike in maybe in the summer next year for it. the ninja 500r is a PERFECT newbie bike! Honestly, had I had a more powerful bike, I would have landed it down by now. But, in a few monthes I think I'm ready for something bigger/ more powerful.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
scotteq said:
[ QUOTE ]
1slowF3 said:

All they did was continue making the 2000-2002 ZX6-R and re-name it the ZZR600.

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY!

(*Not that that's a bad thing....*)

Scott :smile:

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, I think it's a good thing too. IMO the ZZR is more comfy and better looking than the new ZX6's. The performance difference is nil for us mortals. I'd like to have one but that requires money. :crazy:

I also agree with TJ in that this new ZZR would be a bit much for a newbie.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
As others said, IMO this is NOT a good first bike. Basically you're getting 95% of the performance of the latest ZX6R, but with more weight so if anything it will be slightly more difficult to keep upright if you're a newbie.

This is, however, a great choice if you have some experience and want a 600 with as much real-world performance as the top-line 600s, but with more comfort and a lower price. I've been riding sportbikes for 15 years now and if I were in the market for a new 600 it would be either this ZZR600 or a Triumph Daytona 650.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Same bike as my 2000 ZX-6R. Great bike but I wouldn't call it a beginner's bike. It will still get you in trouble real quick and tops out in the 150 mph range. 22,000 miles on mine and still runs like the day I bought it.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup, sure is. The seat is said to be an inch higher than yours. They may have made a few small changes to make it more forgiving or to improve ergos. No wonder I was supprised by it. Just that I have seen the other ZZR's and they were more in the sporttourer category (Plus I have never gotten that close a look at a 2000 ZX-6). So I was thinking they redesigned, not replaced. :grin: But I think it was a wise choice by Kawasaki eather way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts