Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
33kts right into the side of an undersea mountain, and they still made it back into port under their own power.

CNN Story

We happened to be at PD when this happened and caught the report from the San Fran when this happened. Can't believe these guys are still alive at all!

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
OUCH...I wonder if it was an uncharted seamount...there are a bunch out that way that are nothing more than secret "fishing" spots...sucks to be them...that poor MM2 was probably smooking in shaft alley and thrown across the engineering space when the collision hapened...I've never been real comfy with the whole inertial navigation/steering by stopwatch thing that subdrivers do...scares the 5h!t out of me.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The current theory is the "uncharted seamount". Haven't heard any offical word, and probably won't until they get the investigation done.

Apparently the guy was in ASW bay and got tossed into the PLO sump. The boat is mostly totalled though...They were REALLY lucky though, they had warshots in all the tubes when they hit!!

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
thank heavens for the misconception that the torpedo room is at the front of the Suibmarine...I mean it is but not really...I mean you could do a Parche on any sub and it wouldn't change the torpedo room's ability to function...not like Subs of old where the Torpedo's actually left the sub through the bow.
I had heard that the only major damage was the sonar dome however that was before any Diver's play'd a visit, I guess someone in Pearl is about to get their Weaties shat upon...Submarine goes TAD to Guam...crew cries

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check this out!! They re-certifed the old dry dock in Guam, and got the San Fran out of the water the other day. This is REALLY BAD damage. Both stdb side shutter doors are trashed! (again, WITH weapons in the tubes)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.