Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that its time for me to replace my rear, I can' search through any of the old posts for info... Does anybody have experience with switching from a 190 to a 180 rear on an R1? I'm going to go with BT-010s

<font color=blue>R1/images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
613 Posts
I changed to 180s.

Pros:
They are a few bucks cheaper.
They make the bike turn in a bit more quickly.

Cons:
They do not feel quite as stable at speed (twitchy).
They are not as "phat" as 190s.

So... If you like to do wheelies and burn-outs, get the 190s. If you like cornering, get the 180s.

Life begins at 150.
http://www.teamotsr.org

·
Registered
71 Posts
Holy crap!
I just went outside to look at my tire that I just had installed (BT 010) and I was shocked to see it was a 200 series! What the hell? I ordered from Chaparral, and obviously they sent me the wrong size! Do you guys think this will hurt the cornering TOO much? Man, now I'm all worked up...

Chris

Say hello to my little friend...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
200 series ? i'm not sure if that should even fit on your rim... Your bike must handle like a bus...

I'm looking for quicker turning and more stability in the corners, the 180 sounds like it might help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You know, if I didn't see it ON my rim, I might not think it would fit either! Actually, I was able to out carve all my buddies in the canyons this weekend, which means one of two things: Either I am pretty good at cornering, or my friends just suck! :) Who knows...

Chris

·
Registered
169 Posts
A 200 tire will fit on an R1 rim, 'cause it's a 6 in. rim. I'd be concerned about clearance on either side. Does it contact the swingarm, brake lines, or plastic stuff like your rear fender? My ZX-12R came stock with a 200/50 and it also has a 6 in. rim. I think this tire is total overkill for the street, though. I'm thinking of going to a 190 when this one dies.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
For some reason - The 010's are not as wide as the other makes. The 190 actually looks like a 180. You'll definitely better off without the 200 - but be glad it's a Brickstone!
( For that reason only!) /images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Yeah that is true NoudR1. My stock 010's look no bigger then the 180's. I look at my 190 tire compared to the 190 Pilot sports and mine just looks tiny. But I do have a wide rim.

Let other people be right sometimes...it soothes them for being nothing else!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know this is a long shot, but has anyone had any dealings with Chaparral? The tire only has about 100 miles on it, so I wonder if they would exchange it since they fudged up? Or should I just ride it out and replace it later? It'll cost 30 bucks to take it off and another 30 to mount it, so would it even be worth it?

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I don't think it should cost you anything if it's there mistake???...(changing the tire)

Welcome to Las Vegas.....Now go home!!!!

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
I ordered my tires from them... but they didn't mess up the order on mine! I say ride it out, you didn't even feel a difference until you looked at it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just put on a set with a 180 rear and all I can say is "wow", I will stick with 180 series rear tires from now on. Never felt any instability, (damper on bike)the bike doesn't turn like a dump truck now.

No really, I do own a bike!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Excellent, thats what i wanted to hear, now if only I could decide over Pilot Sports or BT010s...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have a set of BT010's on my 1000. I am switching to 180 rear and will be selling them if anyone is interested. I can't wait to feel the difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts