Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the day and went up and down a local twisty hot spot for bikes (highway 9 for you locals) and the 12 just railed that s#it like nobody's business!

I'm very impressed with the handling capabilities for such a big bike. The only really big diffrence I notice riding the 12 in the twisties from riding my 7r, the turn in on the 12 is slower going into the turn, it takes a bit more concentration and lean to get the bike over. I'm assuming that is becasue of the 200 tire, which I can get used to.

The corner exits are so F'ing fun on this bike!

Got to the top of the mountain and pulled over for a breather, those tires were HOT! hehe/images/icons/smile.gif

OK, well I'm gonna go grab a beer, I still have a smile on my face!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I hear ya Josh.

It is starting to warm up here, so I am slowly experimenting
with my 12s capabilities.
It does corner well.
And you do have to live for the exit.

Roads are still awful dirty to really push it though.
Plus I have not had a chance to ride any real twisties
yet. 1 turn every 10 miles if I am lucky.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Keep it up, Josh. I have not been able to convince people that the ZX-12R is not a tank, that it handles really well and that it can mix it up with the best of them. But you just might......

sweet ride, though, isn't it? I am doing the first major service on mine while I wait for the front tire. I started taking it apart yesterday. and that doesn't mean just the fairings.....

__
Life is precious. Treasure it.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I think it handles well so far.
Definately not a tank.

Are you saying you are doing the service yourself Sho?
What all are you gonna do?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Sabre, The bike is getting new tyres, new brake pads, ATE Super Blue brake fluid, maybe a coolant flush, a thorough cleaning (ncluding all the areas where gunk gets is but you don't see it such as behind the engine sprocket cover), throttle cable tension, tps position, idle setting, headlight adjustment, wheel alignment, set correct torque on all the various nuts, bolts and fastners (there is a long list of the ones that have to be checked), make sure the headstock bearings are not too tight nor too loose, a wax job, front and rear spring preload, compression, and rebound settings, new sprockets front and rear, and any other things that come to mind as work progresses.

I am also thinking of getting a new screen from Gustafasson Plastics. Its not a dubble bubble per se. Its got compound curve profile, and I am going to get it cut so its 4 inches longer than standard. Its optics are perfect, it looks like original equipment unless you actually examine it and realize its not right, and it works wonders for wind protection, which is one of the areas where the ZX-12R needs help. Don't think double bubble because it looks nothing like that.

__
Life is precious. Treasure it.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want to change my pads also. During regular braking around town they work fine. But, as I found out yesterday, the stock brakes do not give you much confidence when coming in to a corner really hot. It seems to take a while before they actually grab.

I'm hoping high performance pads and some new brake fluid will remedy this.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Good for your for giving your 12 a thorough once over.

Good luck with the screen. I was thinking I may get a
double bubble, but I am not sure I like how they look.
Or what color I would get.

What I should by next is a set of stands.

I think I am going to go over my 12 this weekend too.
I want to check the air filters.
I have heard horror stories of sand or grit getting past
the filters into the airbox. I want to know if this
is happening on mine.
While I have the tank up....
I also want to adjust my throttle cable, take a bit of the
play out I think. Still have a touchy throttle. I am
getting used to it though. It does not bother me as much
as before.

I think I may tighen the suspension a bit.
I think it is a little soft for my weight of 275lbs.

And of course go over it looking for loose fastners.
I found a couple last weekend.
Nothing major, but I am going to check again.

I need to find some curvy roads to practice my cornering.
I'm already getting sick of my straight line commute.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts