Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, tryin to get the forum some posts, tell me some of your scariest times on the bike. I've had several but my least favorite were:
1. Chimmney rock road, ridin around a turn that most would consider lazy, I don't know what happened but half way through, I found myself drifting toward the outside of the road and tried to correct but it was toooooo late. The next thing I know, I ran off a small runoff for cars and was ridin up in the woods. Somehow, missed all the trees but it was scary. The kicker was that I ws only over the posted speed limit by about 20 mph, which isn't much.
2. This one freaked me out, I was ridin through some local twisties with a group. The turn was posted at 15mph and we were around 70. I committed to the turn, which continued to get sharper the further you go, and couldn't continue. I skidded across the other lane of traffic, off the road, into a ditch, and about 2" from a gaurdrail. I thought I knew the road well and it kicked me in the a$$. We just rode that corner 20 min prior. Guess I gotta pratice. I have alot of cage stories but lets hear about fook ups only, huh?

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
one weekend while riding up by the rockstore on mulholland (l.a. - malibu area) i was having a hell of a time controlling my bike. i mean the first part of the ride i was asking myself why the hell i bought a bike. i suck at it!

anyway there were two particular turns where i was particularly too hot going into.

1. i was going into a 25 mph turn at about 60. and if that wasn't dumb enough, the turn was blind! but i figured..."this is my canyon. i know her roads." NOPE. i ended up going way wide into the other lane. and guess what..there was a car coming. but the good thing about it was that it was a good 60 yards from my point of stupidity so i had time to correct myself.

2. same road, same day. there's a long sweeper that passes through the entrance of a residential street right before you hit the rockstore. again, i was too hot...not enough lean angle...i hesitated...and i ended up straightening her up and going into a rear wheel skid. for a good 30-35 feet. headed straight for someones 4 foot wall in front of their house.

for the rest of that saturday ride i was very unsure of my ability to ride and didn't push it all. i ended up thinking too much about riding then just riding.

but the good thing is...i went back the very next day and ripped through it like i had been riding for years. funny how that happens huh?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

for the rest of that saturday ride i was very unsure of my ability to ride and didn't push it all.

<hr></blockquote>

I hear ya Ja! For the rest of the day, after the second one, all my buddies were like, "dude, WTF????" then the name calling and the B.S. I took it easy. I'm not the greatest rider but I can hold my own I'd like to think. These are the same guys telling me to try the track. I dunno, I was scared.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
These "scary" events I like to call "pure moments".

In the Ozarks I had a good clip going on a curvy road when apexing a right hander a logging truck in the other direction cut the corner. I was riding the white line with my body hanging over the ditch and the last trailer tire had to have passed within 6 inches of mine.

Riding a 250 through a storm cell with 60 mph winds nearly put me in a ditch.

Riding just south of the Gap on a down hill straight I decided to pass one of the two cars we'd ben following for miles but as I pulled out to pass the cage closed the gap between the two cars so I went for a double pass. After the pass I let of the throttle to "coast" back into my lane but the road was dirt slick and the back end started to come around. I rode the side slide for what seemed like forever though a right hander and into an oncoming car. Ouch.

Hwy 36 in California I was getting air with an 1100 Katana. The problem was that after this particular hill the road turned right and I landed in the oncoming lane facing a Mercury station wagon. Countersteering rocks.

The most scarry has to be when I was touring east of Trona into the Mojave Desert and the road was covered with sand. Somewhere along the way the road turned and I didn't. Now past the halfway point in fuel with 2 days water supply in 120*F heat I was lost. I kept going and found a goat trail leading up a small mountain, on the other side was a ranger station and a paved road. I was a happy camper.
BTW fully loaded 1100 Katana's were not meant to be used as motocrossers, plenty of hill climbing power but lack in suspension travel.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Dammit everybody has a kewl twistie story kindda makes my hitting the dog that ran out in front of me at night kindda boaring. Hitting something that size at almost 60 really sucks. needless to say still to this day animals near road ways really spooks me.

If it fly's Fu$%s or Floats a man should never own it only RENT it!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
the scariest that comes to mind.
was on the bike for the first time after a small get-off. still was spooked a bit in tight corners (still am). just finished a group ride in the twisties. night time. following two guys home (that i don't know too well) through the twisties back to the highway. small road = no lights with tall trees on either side. was like riding through a dark tunnel. they knew the road way better then me and i needed to keep up so i could find my way home and they were better riders then me. tight, fast right hander. it was long. i started to lose them and then it was me with just my headlight in a blind bend. i started to target fixate on the blackness off to the side of the road (going about 80kph) when i forced my self to stare back into the darkness of the road and i literally started saying out loud 'turn, turn, turn' while thinking 'the bike can lean further then you think it can'. got through the turn and caught up with the other two on the next straight.

scary. i don't want to fall again. it's bad. :p

<font color=red>Love</font color=red> <font color=blue>Peace</font color=blue> <font color=green>Happiness</font color=green> <font color=purple>Ride</font color=purple>

·
Registered
670 Posts
I had owned my first bike about a year and had maybe 8 months riding experience (couldn't ride in winter). I was on a two lane highway and went to pass a line of maybe 10 cars. I had passed about 5 of them doing 100+ mph by now and I see oncoming traffic that I hadn't even noticed. I had to straddle lanes and change my drawers. At the next stop, I got off the bike shaking and VERY seriously contemplating selling the bike and never riding again. I just couldn't walk away from motorcycling. That was 4 years ago, and I haven't done anything quite that stupid since.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
i just put new tires on my zx6 and had only about 30 odd miles to scrub them in before hitting deal's gap. we got held up by some traffic that wouldn't pull over. luckily we found a spot to pass. 2 guys were behind me who i didn't know, and they didn't know me. the section of the gap called "the gravity cavity" is what got me. i went into the right hander faster than what i thought my tires could handle. i didn't want to slide out, so i stood it up, and shot straight across the other lane. this is memorial day weekend mind you meaning it was packed of cars and bikes. i ran off the road and skirted the cliff wall. i thought to myself, well, i can continue on around the wall, or i can try and get back up on the road. well, somehow or other i got back up on the road. however, there was a 4 or 5 inch lip on the edge that i didn't know was there. it upset the bike and my ass flew out of the seat. my pelvic bone slammed into the gas tank (causing a dent thank god i'm not a guy!), jerked my arms, and leg flew off the peg and the shin slammed into it. ouch. came back up on the road in a blind corner. coulda been hit. did quite a bit of damage considering i didn't lay it down. so, lesson learned? trust your tires, and ninjas are NOT off-road vehicles.

ta-da!!

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
riding at night, being stupid goin about 70 in a 40 zone...thought i knew the road well enough...came into this turn not leaned enough...CRAP, headin towards the shoulder, embankment/trees...fought the SRs turned the throttle a bit more and leeeeaned way down, scraped my toe, hit hte silt and got back in my lane...not good, if there was a car comin it would have been f'n terrible...other than that...nothing too scary.

·
Registered
221 Posts
1. First time ever on a bike, aged 13, on a Yamaha TY175 trials bike, got giddy with the throttle/clutch combo and wheelied for about 10 yards before getting it back under control. Scared silly but it was an appropriate start I guess.
2. Flying down a track on a Yamaha trail bike (only doing about 30mph in reality) no helmet, crashed head on into my mate coming the other way on an identical bike on a blind corner.
3. Braking for a bend in the wet on a GSXR, hit a patch of diesel left by a considerate trucker who had overfilled, washed the front out at about 60 and went straight on, on my arse (ass for US readers). Gold Ford Granada coming the other way swerved into a lay-by to avoid me and my gixer as we slid gracefully along.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts

Gold Ford Granada coming the other way swerved into a lay-by to avoid me and my gixer as we slid gracefully along.

<hr></blockquote>

DAYAAAAAAAMN!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
My scariest moment was up on the local mountain. I was coming into a corner at 85 (usually 75 or so) and was forced to lean further than I ever have before. My peg touched the ground with a loud scrape and at the same instant the front end jerked to the steering stop with a squeal and back straight. I almost shlt myself! I looked over my shoulder to see the blackie left by my front tire.

·
Registered
555 Posts
A couple of minor incidents:
1. Very twisty little road in Ellicott City, MD, the Seven Hills area. I hadn't been on my bike for a week after being out of town. So I hop on and start tearing up this road like I'm Rossi. (1st mistake) I crest a little uphill section right before a left hander and the front end gets light, target fixated straight ahead instead of leaning hard to the left to make the turn. At the same time I was fixating I grabbed way too much front brake while standing the bike up. Instant low side, the bike ends up off the road and I'm sliding on my side. I hit my head on a sign, the Arai saved me melon and my leather jacket saved me skin. Could have been a whole lot worse. Thank God for small deductibles and good insurance.

2. We were riding on the Cherohala Skyway last season and I ran wide on a very low speed, flat left hander. Like the most basic of turns that I've taken 1000's of times on countless roads but I just had brain lock for a second. Luckily there was a small shoulder and then a small section of grass and I brought it to a stop w/no drama. I was only going like 35.

"They mostly come out at night, mostly" -Aliens-

·
Registered
143 Posts
1. Twenty minutes after purchasing my first sport bike I thought I could master the art of wheelie. I ended up doing a first gear power-wheelie over a small hill. The bike shot up to about 10 o'clock or so, causing my feet to fly off of the pegs, where my right leg found something sharp on the exhaust pipe, putting a petty nasty cut on my ankle.

When the bike came down I ended up having a massive tankslapper. I bet you that the bars went lock to lock about eight times. I was a pretty lucky guy that day.

2. I was approaching a 15-20 mph turn at about 50-mph. It being such a sharp turn I decided I was going to cut across the double yellow line to straighten it out a bit. As I crossed lines for the first time I had a pretty good slide, which scared the [censored] out of me. As soon as I managed to regain control, it was time to cross the yellow line again; again it made the front and rear end slide. This all happening in about 1.6 seconds, it kind of made me freeze up a bit. Still not out of the turn completely I started to approach the white line on the edge of the road I realized if I held my current line I was going to end up in a couple of tree's. I had to tell myself two things, " FU53ing lean it over Nick." And secondly, "You can make it." I finally convinced myself to lean farther and I ended up riding the white line for about 10 feet. Riding the line scared the hell out of me because I thought it being an other painted surface. It was going to cause me to slide again; Thus, putting me in the trees.

3. To start off, I didn't have front brakes at the time. I know stupid, but I don't need to here any [censored] from you guys about it. I just dropped 1 tooth up front and wanted to try it out. I managed to mash through gear 1, then 2, and then maxed out third. Then at that moment I realized I was coming up to a really tight, slightly banked turn. So I immediately grabbed for the front brakes. There wasn't enough fluid getting to the calipers for them to really accomplish anything. So I resorted to stomping on the back brake. Sliding the rear for about 90 feet I released the brake and dove into the turn hard. As soon as I started the turn, the rear end completely slide out on me. My hip was just a couple of inches for the ground. Somehow my bike managed to find some available traction and then proceed to a high side maneuver. I ended up landing in a 10-foot ditch. Bike was totaled.

4. I was going on an on ramp to the freeway and was at pretty good speed. I always ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs and as close to the bike as possible. Ok, well they were sticking off the end of the peg about an inch. When the side of my boot started to scrape the ground I freaked out and decided I was at max lean angle for the this specific turn. I told my self I couldn't lean any farther and the turn being an ?increasing? radius turn (Got Tighter) I ran out of road, and low sliding my bike. My bike and myself went for a little slide. I was pretty lucky. I was not hurt and by bike came out with minimal damage (RT. Fairing, couple of cracks on the nose, bent foot lever, and a scratched pipe.

Just for the record, I haven't claimed any of my wrecks to an insurance company, and don't plan to for obvious reasons. I can't afford for my rates to change or for them to drop me.

So at this point in time I have logged in over 8 thousand miles and totaled a 99 GSX-R 600 and put a couple of scratches on my 2001 GSX-R 600. I consider a crotch rocket a toy to a certain extent, so I realize if you play hard, shits going to happen. I have also read Twist of The Wrist 2 about 10 times and I have also read The Soft Science of Road Racing Motorcycles about 10 times as well. These books are ficken awsome.

Live each day as it comes, there may be no tomarrow. Ride hard, ride fast, and have fun.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
They took my sig image away!!! I went to my profile and it said "sorry. this image is innappropriate. This is a sportbike website. Thanks." Oh well, I needed to update with a pic of the 1000 anyway.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts

I consider a crotch rocket a toy to a certain extent, so I realize if you play hard, shits going to happen

<hr></blockquote>

well said, nick.

·
ehasbeen
5,207 Posts
I crash alot and I guess one of the best was just this past April 7th when I crashed my bike and slide up to a concrete barrier. I luckily stopped about a foot short. Too bad my bike didn't. It's pretty much fubar'd. Frame broke in back and bent up front, tripple tree broken, forks damaged, engine case broken.... I'm going to fix it but it may take a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
How about this. One time many years ago I was riding down Ojai's highway 33, awesome road. I come around this corner and the road straightens out and drops down a little bit. So, I come around this corner onto the straight part, and there's a car, in the middle of the road, facing me, driving backwards.

So of course I'm thinking, "What the hell is this?" The driver is looking backwards too, so she doesn't even see me. I was going pretty fast so I had to get on the brakes pretty hard, so as I'm braking I'm getting closer and closer to her car, aiming to go around the right side of the car. Finally, when I get about ten feet away from the car she turns the wheel and blocks the entire road with her car! I swerved at the last second, went off the road onto the shoulder. There was tons of bushes and crap over there but I finally got the bike to a stop. The woman sees all this, pulls up next to me, rolls down the window and says, "I'm sorry about that." I couldn't even talk my heart was beating so fast. I wanted to basically reach in through the window and strangle her, but I couldn't even get a word out. Man I was pissed.

It just goes to show you, you never know what you're going to find on the road. Some of the most baron roads are the most dangerous too, since cars figure nobody is around so they flip uturns right in the middle of the road before corners and stuff, not expecting a biker to come around the corner with his or her knee on the ground. Scary stuff.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts