Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here you go Blue, I'm posting to increase my reading material just like you said /images/icons/smile.gif If your screen name isn't BlueDragon please feel free to contribute as well /images/icons/smile.gif

I'm getting the itch to build a bike. I have no idea what I'm doing but I know what I want /images/icons/smile.gif

In the recent Cycle World magazine they had an article on a bike that a guy built from a Yamaha XS650 engine, a dirtbike frame, GSXR forks and a custom swingarm. He called it a Street Tracker?(anyone want to explain what this term is about??) This is the kind of bike I would like to build.

My initial criteria is:

1) Powered by a cheap, reliable twin engine with a good amount of low end grunt, I'm not necessarily worried about top end speed.
2) NAKED /images/icons/smile.gif No fairing required except for maybe a small tail section

When I think about this bike I would like to build I'm thinking Tomb Raider bike(I beleive it was based on the Yamaha TDM750?), the Blade 1 bike, and of course the Yamaha custom bike in the latest Cycle World.

So what are your ideas? Am I totally out to lunch? When I look on the net for custom projects like this I find mainly the Harly-esque chopper, big twin projects which is definitly not what I want to do.

I've also thought about going SuperMotard route but I don't want to just slap some street tires on a dirt bike, I want this bike to have more character /images/icons/smile.gif

Anyway, looking forward to comments and suggestions. If there is any interest I will post some more questions I have as far as frame options, swingarms, etc. etc.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
hey viper old buddy! how ya doin??

have you thought about the SV engine as the heart of the bike? great low end grunt, no top end. and cheap to get too.

and i believe a street tracker refers to a super-motard that's raced on a road course. i maybe wrong tho. wouldn't be the first time. /images/icons/wink.gif

have you seen the kit they sell for the SV that converts it completely to a dirtbike with lights? you could always go that route and add street tires to it. just a thought.

yah, i know this was intended for blue dragon, but i thought i'd drop ya a line.

good luck viper!! /images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the info Amy! That makes great sense to use the SV650 as the powerplant. I'll do some searching for that kit.

The only issue may be cost. Anyone know what used 650 engines go for?

Thanks /images/icons/smile.gif

P.S. Did you ever sell that front 6E rim?? /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Don't ask me!! /images/icons/smile.gif I only work here...never been involved with a project that big...

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OH THANKS A TON!!!! A lot of help you were!! hahaha... /images/icons/smile.gif

I guess it's up to everyone else to help me out now /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Try and find a SV that was wrecked from a salvage yard, that has a bent frame but solid engine. I wouldn't think it would cost much to just buy the engine, hell with the SV being a newbies favorite ride I would think that there would be tons of wrecked ones/images/icons/laugh.gif. Maybe a insurance adjuster could hook you up with a totaled SV. I don't know just some suggestions.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's exactly what I'm going to do. So far the ones I've found in a quick search have all been in great shape! Even the wrecked ones are still in fairly good condition(see what a difference it makes when a bike isn't full of plastic /images/icons/smile.gif)

I'm going to make some calls to some actual salvage yards though and see if there is anything there. I would like to use the frame from an SV in my project as well. It would really simplify the whole motor mount issue.

Also on my list is going to be an underseat exhaust system /images/icons/cool.gif Again, I have no idea what I'm doing but am going to learn what I need to. No timelimit on this project either. If it takes me a year to find a decent engine/frame so be it.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
heya viper. the kit can be found on http://www.svrider.com i can't remember how much the guy wanted for the kit, but you may need to do some converting since i believe he was over in europe somewhere.

p.s. yep. sold it through ebay finally. now i gotta get rid of a bunch of other stuff (leathers, helmets, sv parts, etc.) DOH! /images/icons/laugh.gif

here's a pic of the SV dirtbike. quite interesting looking really...

here's what he's added etc.:
SV650 Off Road in Actions during Italian Baja last month. Rider Gaspare Momesso. Also i am going to sell the entire kit for enduro : $ 1900
This kit include the following parts:

Front wheels complete of disk brake and special axel ( 21 inch )
Front fork Marzocchi Magnum 45 (tr.TU Gold)
Home made aluminum alloy triple clamp ( very expensive labor )
Brake system complete ( Nissing )
Rear Shock Absorber with spring
Rear brake system complete of aluminum brake support ( home made )
Rear wheels complete of disk brake and special axel and rear sprocket spacer ( 18 inch )
Left and right footpad with aluminum support and links ( very expensive labor )
Aluminum seat support
Aluminum battery support including special extra light powerful battery (KTM Yuasa )
Seat and rear fender ( Husaberg )
Front and rear sprockets ( 14 / 50 ) including Regina gold OR chain 420
2 link for rear arm
Chain guard
Carbonium/Kevlar Gas tank ( 7.5 liters )
Carbonium Silencer ( very loud )
Hand Guard and front light
Skid Plate
All of the above is used and was installed on the SV 650 in the Pictures.

·
Registered
272 Posts
How about using a TL motor. More grunt then an SV and cheap if you look around. just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info Amy! I'll see what I can find out.

I'll look into the TL option as well. There's probably a few more squids out there on TL1000's that I could take advantage of /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

He called it a Street Tracker?(anyone want to explain what this term is about??)

<hr></blockquote>

It's just a play on words - a street legal dirt tracker. Yamaha used to race the 650 in dirt track, and at least one outfit makes the goodies necessary to make an el-cheapo 650 twin into a bike like the one you're drooling over now (minus the extra custom bits like the gixxer front end).

I have no idea who makes the stuff - just that it was in CW a year or two ago...I've got it around here somewhere...

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool, let me know if you happen to find the article and maybe a web address?

I've done quite a bit of reserach and it seems that the Yamaha XS650 twin would be a good powerplant to build a bike around. Not as nice as an SV650 or TL motor but a lot less expensive /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I found a couple for ya Viper - here's a TL1000 street tracker:

I can email you a couple articles - one on the XS650 and another on this bike, if you like /images/icons/wink.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts