Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm thinking of getting a tank bag for my st. what do you guys use and how do you like it? is attaching it easy?

G

·
I have a TourMaster clip on tank bag, about 18L I think. While I like the fact that it doesn't leave a bib (pad) on the tank when it's not on the bike (Like the Triumph bag does), I wish I could use a Magnetic bag like I used to have on my former Kawi and not even have the clips on the bike when the bag is off.

Shut up and Ride!

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
I'm 200 miles away from home right now (on my bike) and used my Triumph tank bag through a couple of down-pours on the way here. It performed flawlessly (as it has several times in the past).

Try Triumph

·
Registered
376 Posts
Go for the large Triumph tank bag, great quality and it has the hole for filling up with gas. Plus, it gives you something to lay on when you need a break in slow traffic.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I use a FOX, I like it. Big, expands, easy on/off, map window, 3 external pockets, a good rain cover and a good price at $60.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I agree with WildRS, The large Triumph tank bag is great for a day trip or overnight, plenty of room, expands, great quality and a handy raincover. It was strange having it there at first, but on longer trip you can lean your chest on it and use it as a rest.

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sounds like the triumph bag is the way to go. i looked at them a year ago, but was put off by the price. like $100 more than anything else. bykergeek is right, those magnetic bags are nice, but i'll have to stop by the dealer and get a large triumph bag.

thanx for the input.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Another vote for the Triumph bag. It fits right and works well. I rarely take mine off.

Nugget'01 Sprint RS

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not watching me!

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
Ok, I'm back [home] now. I'll say once more! The Triumph bag rules. All of my stuff is intact and DRY. During my 200 miles back today, I sat in 45 min of traffic and yes it was certainly nice to lean against. A couple of my favorite features is the built-in rain cover and how the clear map pouch can be attached to the top of the rain cover. The bag also fits well over the semi-odd shape of the Sprint's tank. Its easy to attach and detach. I'll say one thing for Triumph clothes and accessories...they have definately put some thought into them. BMW also has good stuff.

Try Triumph

·
Registered
393 Posts
Wow, was a coincidence. I just order the Triumph Sport Tank Bag yesterday. Should I have order the "normal" Triumph Tank Bag instead? I was concerned that the bigger one was just too big. Hope I didn't make a mistake. Anybody have the sport? What do you think of it?

Thanks!
scbaumann

Umm....bye.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
I have a Rev-Pack Tank Pack and it rocks. It's about 6 years old now and is still in excellent condition. Reasons I like the Rev Pack bag:

* It's mostly waterproof even without a rain cover; the only time it has ever leaked was after 8+ hours in heavy downpour, and even then there was only minor seepage.

* After 6 years there is no map window fading or yellowing at all. I had a Tourmaster tank bag and the map window started yellowing after only a year.

* The map window is sized for two normal folds of a map. This means no more map origami to make it fit.

* The 4-point mounting system is very secure. The bag doesn't flop around at all even in strong cross winds. This was another problem I had with the Tourmaster bag.

* The bag has some semi-rigid wall inserts that make it look nice. It doesn't look like a pile of dirty laundry sitting on top of my tank.

* The closure system is easy to use with gloved hands.

* The protective foam pad is attached to the bottom of the bag with velcro. This makes cleaning the pad a lot easier.

* The bag has a lifetime warranty (though after 6 years it doesn't appear to need it).

* The bag only costs $95.

Here's a small pic of the Rev Pack bag on my TT:

http://revpack.com/

-KeithU

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
SprintRuss, the straps go on the front at the bracket that connects your engine and fairing and at the rear under the front of the seat, there is some space to wrap it. It is a little tricky, not allot of room to work with. Once you have the mat installed. The tank bag velcros on and off and has four clips to hold it. Very sturdy securement.

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
keith,

how difficult is the set up? does the hardware stay on the bike? where do you route the straps?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I have one of those Tour Master bags, with a three point mounting system, that totally sucks, flops all over the place when riding, but it is quit large and isn't bad for long trips.

I got a nicer Marsee bag with a four point mounting system, with lots of pockets, and it is pretty awesome. A little smaller, but perfect for anything other than overnight trips, which I have yet to do anyways.

Dog,
Go check out Moto Mart in Acton Mass. They have lots of cool gear, and the people who work there are really cool. All they sell is gear, and have a little cafe in the store to boot. You can chill out, have a good cup of coffee, watch some race videos, and talk sh$t with other riders there. Pretty cool place, and they run group rides, track days, and riders courses. And the Vanson open house is coming up this weekend. Check out http://www.sportriders.com for local rides and what not.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
My FOX has a 3 point mounting system and doesn't move around. Maybe I got lucky.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
dog, the hardware setup is pretty easy. There is one strap that secures around the steering head, and another at the back that secures around the subframe under the seat. When I'm not using the bag I tie the loose straps in the front around the instrument subframe, and at the back I just tuck the straps under the seat. It's never a problem.

I don't know if all 3-point mounting systems are unstable, but the one on the Tourmaster sure is. It became a real problem for me. No matter how tightly I would strap that thing down it would still flop back and forth onto my arms.

-KeithU

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Keith, the tourmaster did the same thing on my bike. I thought it was just because of the RS's strange tank shape. I think Fox is definately a higher quality product than tourmaster, maybe more thought went into the design...

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I'm starting to wonder about the Tourmaster brand.
I had Tourmaster gloves that melted like wet cardboard, I had blamed the sunscreen on my hands for the chemical reaction but maybe it was just Tourmaster
I also shredded a Tourmaster rain suit that I blamed on speed.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Serp, My Tourmaster gloves fell apart after 4 months around the fingers, nice quality!

Triumph Sprint ST

1 - 20 of 49 Posts