Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read something on the R1 forum about an alternative to buying Heli-Bars. The guy suggested simply switching the clip-ons from one side to the other.
Has anyone here tried this or heard about it?
I was wondering if the clearances at full turn would be a problem, and how much it might change the overall handling.

·
Registered
262 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I read something on the R1 forum about an alternative to buying Heli-Bars. The guy suggested simply switching the clip-ons from one side to the other.
Has anyone here tried this or heard about it?
I was wondering if the clearances at full turn would be a problem, and how much it might change the overall handling.

<hr></blockquote>

I never heard of anyone doing that. I don't think it would work well. The end of the bars really slopes down, I think it wou have a weird feel. I will look at my old ones for you and see what they would look like upside-down. I think the end of the bars would be up higher than the inside by the triple clamp. I put heli-bars on mine, I like them. Even if you could flip the stock clips, you would have to re-drill the holes for all of the clamps. The clamp for the throttle has a plastic tit under it so it can be mounted only in one spot on the clip. So does the clamp that houses your high/low beam switch and clutch lever. There is also and ear on each clip that screws to the triple clamp that ensures the bar is mounted at the same angle on both sides. This would now be upside-down. Therefore, they would no longer be able to be screwed to the clamp. That's not really a problem because the heli-bars don't have this ear at all. But, you do need to take some measurements on the bike once they are mounted to be sure you have the same angle on each clip so that you don't feel like you are going down the road with the bars turned. The only problem is now the two holes through the triple clamp are showing. I just put a little RTV on the bottom of the head of the allen screw and stuck it back in the hole and put the cap back on it so it doesn't look any different than before. I'll get out my old ones and rest them on a flat surface right side up and upsideside-down and take some pics and I'll post them so you can see what the angles would look like.

If you want to know how good the tail section of an R1 looks...Just ask a Honda rider!/images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
262 Posts
I took two pics for you. One is of them on a flat surface. The right one (front) in it's normal position and the left one (back) upside-down. Sorry about the brick in the photo, I needed something to keep them from falling over. The second pis is of me holding the left one upside-down on the right side next to my heli-bars which are on my bike.
It looks like it may work but I'm not sure about the angle. If you look at the pic of it next to the heli-bar, the heli comes pretty much straight off of the clip. The Yamaha clip, upside-down, kind of goes up on an angle. Not sure if it would feel weird or not. But, you would have to re-drill the holes for mounting as I said before.

If you want to know how good the tail section of an R1 looks...Just ask a Honda rider!/images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
262 Posts
pic #2

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
I certainly will NOT be trying that! To me that is CRAZY!!!!!!! /images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
262 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I certainly will NOT be trying that! To me that is CRAZY!!!!!!!

<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, when I looked at it, I thought the angle looks a little goofy! The heli-bar comes pretty straight off of the clip. The stock one upside-down looks like it would head up on an angle, which I would think, would end up leaning your hands inward. I thought the feel would be wierd. I dunno. I like the Heli's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts