Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well folks ive cracked (get this) my second swing arm in 5 months (not from wrecking either) and am in the process of putting on the third one..(97 gsxr 750) only problem is i cant get the swing arm axle out. any suggestions? ive removed the pipe-side lock nut with a scredriver/hammer then on the other side there is like a 32-34mm nut but i cant get the bitch to budge. i am using a breaker bar and can move the nut but it spins the whole axle. i dont remember it being this hard last time im curious if i am messing up the order or something do i remove that lock nut first or afterwards? any help would be appreciated thanx...
kaneXXX

Kane XXX
-=Vegas Knights - Bendoe.com =-

·
Registered
129 Posts
What are you doing that is cracking the swing arm? Since I'm guessing it's not covered by warranty, I wonder if whatever is causing the swing to crack will start affecting other components (rim, drive train, brakes, etc.).

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not too sure exactly as to what is causing the swing arms to crack. bike is essentially stock so if there was a warranty it would assumably be covered. but theres not.. so my problem is how to remove the swing arm so i can put on the new one. any info?

i think the cracking is caused by my 530 chain, 1-down 3 up sprokets, i think i ran the chain to tight and the snap of pressure caused by my clutching wheelies in high gears (4th) i think the sudden snap doesnt allow the chain to flex enough and is causing premature wear on the swing arm both have cracked on the factory weld. who knows i just wanna fix it!
kane

Kane XXX

·
Registered
823 Posts
Wow! I can't give you any advise but I'm sure someone will be able to. Good luck and I hope the next swing arm lasts.

"Ask not what your bike can do for you,
ask what you can do for your bike"

·
eModerator
7,723 Posts
I am not familiar with the 97 specifically, but if you didnt put ba light coat of grease on the swingarm pivot before installing it, the pivot can rust to the inner race of the bearings. The swingarm can still move up and down freely. but the pivot wont slide to the side. If after you confirm that all the retaining nuts are removed you still cant budge it you will need to pound it out. Be sure to put a block of wood between the pivot shaft and the hammer!!!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Is the bolt hollow if so you can also try using a slide hammer, like for pulling dents they work to.

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
being the trickster u are i would imagine its from endoes. banging the rear down.???
how the hell did u learn over the bars wheelies? please pm

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
actually i am already having the same thing done to mine as we speak. hes going to solidify both side of the swing arm and beef it up, plus i bought a bunch of flat 1" steel rods and am gonna go ahead and stiffen the whole bike in general the constant beating my bike gets cause of tricks is hard on it.
kane

Kane XXX

1 - 9 of 9 Posts